FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fall 2019 Election

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall 2019 Election
    Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 11:05am

Who’s running for Middletown mayor, city council seats in November?
By Ed Richter, Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — Middletown voters will have a selection of candidates to choose from for mayor and City Council, as there are contested races for both offices in the Nov. 5 general election.

The filing deadline for Middletown mayoral and council seats was 4 p.m. Thursday. Middletown’s filing deadlines is 75 days before the election as required by the city’s charter.Mayor Larry Mulligan Jr. will be seeking his fourth four-year term as Middletown’s mayor. Mulligan, a South Main Street resident, was appointed to a vacant seat representing the former 2nd Ward resigned in late 2006. Less than a year later, Mulligan became the first-directly elected mayor of Middletown in November 2007. 

Mulligan is being challenged by newcomer Nicole Condrey of Wrenn Street. She is a member of Team Fastrax skydiving team.

This year there six people seeking the two open seats on Middletown City Council.

Incumbent Councilman Steve Bohannon opted not to run for a second four-year term so that he could spend more time with his family and do some travelling. MORE: Deadline passes for November election with dozens jumping into Butler County races

Incumbent Councilman Talbott Moon, of Euclid Street, is serving as the city’s vice mayor this term, is seeking re-election to a second term on council.The other candidates seeking seats on council this fall include:

Levi J. Cramer, of Aberdeen Drive
Perry L. Davis, of Trafalgar Court
John P. Hart, Jr., of Wrenn Street
Monica Nenni, of North Highview
Joe Wittman, of North Breiel Boulevard.

Incumbent Middletown Municipal Court Judge James E. Sherron is running unopposed for a six-year term of his own. He was elected two years ago in a contentious election in November 2017 to complete the unexpired term of Judge Mark Wall who died in February 2017.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2019 at 1:35pm
Will vote for all new candidates whether I know their platform or not. Already know what I'll get if I vote for the incumbents and it is not a favorable opinion. Gotta get Mulligan(s) out of office. He (they) has (have) done too much damage to this city. The man is only concerned about protecting his S. Main St. neighborhood and that means everything for the dam downtown and to hell with the rest of the city. He is an elitist and could care less for the vast majority of those living here. He is the typical MMF sponsored candidate and as soon as the people who vote in Middletown realize that and totally change the complexion of city council, the sooner priorities will change in this city. Right now, the city theme is totally focused on the downtown area with little regard to any other area. Has been for many years now. It will remain the same unless all potential voters get together and oust the continual stream of MMF candidates who represent the direction that MMF wants to take this town. The MMF voting block/friends of the Mulligan's must be out numbered. The two Mulligans on council and perhaps Moon and Bohannon (who is now gone when his term is done) and Vitori who seems to care only for the downtown protection of her business interests while seemingly not to care for any other parts of town. She has clearly indicated that during her tenure on council just as council in it's entirety has done. The city manager seems to do his fair share of downtown PR as well at times.

Don't know about the rest of you folks, but I will vote against all incumbents to attempt to clean house and see what new people can do for our city. I will repeat this theme until we see some positive change in council decisions. The same old people running time and time again hasn't worked well for us in leading the city in the right direction. Why give failed leadership more time on council? Not logical. (Same goes for the do-nothing, inept school board as well IMO). Right now, they are just warming a seat on the board. Hardly dynamic.)
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2019 at 1:57pm
Not in the article from the J-N is that there won't be a change in the makeup of the Middletown City School District school board.  There are three seats that get voted on this November, but no one is challenging the incumbents as they are the only ones who are on the ballot.
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2019 at 8:39am
Then business as usual and no positive change on the horizon for the school board. Fancy school buildings with no quality business being conducted from within. Expect bottom dwelling results in the next report. What else is new. Apparently, the voters in this city are content with a failed district performance. Sad that they expect so little as to accountability.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2019 at 10:19pm
The kids of the VOTERS in this city don't go to Middletown City Schools.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2019 at 9:03pm
Don't forget...Early voting starts tomorrow!!!
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 9:57am
X
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 9:58am
I think that we will go with the Hart team across the board maybe Levi Cramer

Clean slate
Clean house

Less ego
Less drama
Less entitlement
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2019 at 10:24am
Good idea spider. Clean house. Vote all incumbents out and start over with new people. Perhaps we can change the cards we are dealt by the constant choice of the same faces who fail to enact the city direction that is proper.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2019 at 8:07am
anyone going to vote?
if so, for whom?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2019 at 8:43am
Voted first day of early voting.
Voted for Hart team.
Change desperately needed!
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 10:37am
Hart dropped out of the race yesterday.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 12:15pm
Watched the council/mayor debate the other day offered by the Journal. Will vote for the lady opposing Mulligan for mayor. Anyone but the Mulligans. Didn't know he did, but since Hart dropped out, will vote for Levi. Still skeptical on Joe Wittman. He had some good ideas during the debate but is still caught up in the downtown development/artzy thing and think that might give us another Amy Vitori on council who seems only concerned about downtown improvement (for her business interest) and to heck with the other parts of town. Gonna get more same old same old from Moon. While he made some comments that seemed correct to me, he has had enough time to have distanced himself from the council theme talk and seems to go along with the others who are clueless as to what direction/priorities this city needs to take/have. The obvious is not apparent to the current council. (Same goes for the school board) Liked Hart's idea of developing revenue by attracting more companies to locate here rather than to tax the hell out of the residents. He also believed the city was not business friendly based on his experiences in developing his business at the airport. Like anyone who wishes to fix the basics like the streets and infrastructure, let the downtown develop through private investment only and wants to concentrate on police and fire upgrades. JMO
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2019 at 12:26pm
Forgot about Monica Nenni. Seems to me she is the same type of candidate with the same downtown interests as Joe Wittman. She may add to the Vitori cause on council. We could potentially end up with Vitori, Nenni or Wittman on council. If so, do we want a majority on council with downtown business interests? Wouldn't there be a question as to a majority of downtown business owners manning council seats with the ability to push a downtown focus agenda using council as a mechanism? Also need to remember that Mulligan is in favor of downtown focus as his home lies just outside the downtown area on S. Main St.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 11:00am
Spider’s Council prediction:

Moon and wittman will be elected[EMAIL= ][/EMAIL]
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 12:02pm
I would agree.   But I wouldn't rule out Cramer.  I think he has the potential to knock Moon out.  Though I gather Moon has the backing of the old Middletown establishment. 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2019 at 2:17pm
I agree with you, and am voting for Cramer.

JMO from my conversations throughout the town.
I honestly like all of the candidates and trust their intention.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2019 at 10:49pm
Hmmm....still two precincts out, but it looks like a new mayor?  And one new councilwoman?

I think its a good start, plus with the current council flexing their muscle and starting the process of sweeping Adkins out the door - does this equal a great future for Middletown?
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2019 at 10:54pm
Furthermore - looking at the unoffical results - Take a close look at the tallies for the 5 people running for the open seat...

they got 73.6% of the total vote. 

We can't let 4 people divvy up the voting pool like that anymore.  We need to have one or two strong candidates instead of piecemealing the vote like this.  I have nothing against Talbot Moon (and I hear he's an ok guy, just never had any dealings with him personally - but I do have an 'anybody but the incumbents' mentality right now) if only two of the 4 had run - the outcome could have been totally different.

Just sayin'
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2019 at 4:32am
Moon and Nenni huh. Moon is a non factor just like Joe Mulligan is on new idea contributions IMO. Both seem to just occupy a council chair. Glad to finally see Mulligan voted out. Waited a long time for that. I see Nenni as a downtown business owner ally joining Amy Vitori. Right or wrong, I see them tunnel focused on the downtown area to foster their businesses while disregarding the other parts of town as to development. Could them being on council, and making decisions concerning downtown, while owning businesses there, be a conflict of interest? Dunno. Voted for Condrey, Cramer and Wittman. Would like to have seen the beginning of incumbent removal and housecleaning on council. Got it with the Mulligan removal but would have liked to have seen Moon gone too. JMO
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2019 at 7:35am
So
We have no police chief or city manager—a new mayor with no local city experience who has lived here for 2 years—a very young emotional council.

Didn’t see this coming
Should be interesting!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2019 at 9:08am
Random prediction:  Given past history in this town and the current state of council and our City Manager, I won't be terribly surprised to see our now former MPD Chief Muterspaw become our new City Manager in the near future.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2019 at 9:56am
interesting--probably the best thing for citizens and an inexperienced Council/Admin

Don't see him wanting the job though--he did just retire
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2019 at 11:02am
True, before he retired he said he was out of public life for good.  Then within a week or two of his earlier than initially planned retirement he opened the door for a potential city council run in the future.  I don't think he'll be out of the public eye for long, just a personal opinion.

Side note, as I've done for the past couple of years, I've updated the spreadsheet that tracks turnout and voter disengagement/apathy for Middletown area races and ballot items.  Posted details in the thread I've used for it at http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/topic6604_post51276.html
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

So
We have no police chief or city manager—a new mayor with no local city experience who has lived here for 2 years—a very young emotional council.

Didn’t see this coming
Should be interesting!
And if rumors hold true a new Economic Development Director.

Note the language used to begin termination: 

“no longer desires to employ Douglas Adkins as City Manager because of irreconcilable differences between Council and Mr. Adkins concerning leadership style, and these differences make his continued work as City Manager untenable.” 

Adkins is smart enough and capable enough; but I think there are definitely some leadership style and personality traits that would keep him from being effective moving forward. And his ego.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic