FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Administrative Costs"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Administrative Costs"
    Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 6:57am
According to the Journal, Middletown just received $2.4 million for home revitalization. The story gives a breakdown of how the money is to be distributed. One of the categories is "administrative costs" to the tune of $214,437. Whenever I see listings like this and see the old proverbial "administration costs" or a "miscellaneous" category, just once, I would like to see an exact breakdown of who will be receiving the money and what services were provided for that money. Because this area is so vague, alot of money can be wasted or convenienently "lost" or "misappropriated" in a category like this. It makes one tend to "distrust" the old hierarchy of power with the cash given when money distribution is listed in these "generality" areas. The article also lets us know that Ginger Smith is the "community revitalization director". This is a newly created position isn't it? Why did they move Dave Duritsh (sp?) to Public Works Director and create a position for Smith who was the Public Works Director? Why is she still on the payroll? Because these are public gov. positions, paid for by the taxpayer, shouldn't an explanation be warranted here, Ms. Gilleland?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 8:00am

That also jumped out at me. Vet.  That is at least 3 maybe 4 full time employees with bennies for a year to handle less than $2.2 million dollars.

This quote from earlier in the week also gave me pause.  $2.14 million dollars isn't going to stimulate the cities economy enough to matter, but it may funnel more funds to Public SafetyWink:

"The city has received $2.14 million in federal funds through the Neighborhood Stabilization Program to assist residents facing foreclosure or looking to purchase a home. The city has the capability of making its own guidelines to distribute the funds, and plans to present ideas during the Tuesday, Nov. 18, council meeting, Gilleland said.

"We're trying to get this money on the street," she said. "We're hoping it will stimulate the local economy."

.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 8:12am

That is the first thing I thought too. Those admin costs could employ 3-4 people for a year. Is that much work required? Perhaps it is. We should never underestimate the amount of paperwork required to get anything done in Govt.  Still I would like to see a breakdown of the hourly rate once this $214,437 is spent.

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2008 at 5:26pm
I wonder how I apply to get some of that administrative money. Maybe we are all naive, but probably not. It doesn't take 10% to admininister the demolition of a few houses.

Everything the government does cost much more than if they just farmed out the entire project. Either way, govt had a use it or lose it mentality. So even if they could do it for less, it would still cost the full $2.4m.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic