FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$2 BILLION DOLLAR ENTERTAINMENT VENUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2021 at 12:58pm
Seems as if the best course of action might be for the current Council to collect as much info as possible on this project and share it with citizens and candidates for the November Council election. Then put off this very important vote until the new Council is seated.

Candidates could then make their position very clear on this project, and the citizens could decide on Election Day.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2021 at 10:33am
I haven't followed this very closely but why are several on council now against this emergency legislation? Surely they are aware of this project that their hand-picked City Manager has been involved in.  
For all those that criticize the "Main St crowd" for meddling in everything you should take their dislike of this project with a grain of salt.  This town cannot be held hostage to the whims of South Main.

As for the project itself, it seems quite ambitious and hard to believe.  Yes, some level of city funding is needed here and I'll leave it up to each person to decide if that is too much or simply part of playing ball in the development world. That said, doesn't it say something that private dollars believe this can be successful?  Additional jobs, entertainment options, etc. While it seems like it makes more sense by the highway, this is obviously a downtown/river vision and not another I-75 destination idea.

Too many in this town are both jaded about the condition of the town AND are unwilling to consider outside the box opportunities.  The city could use a little less excitement about a new Chipotle or a new hair salon and a little more appetite for something big.  This project may have a few warts but it is definitely big and worth seriously considering.  
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2021 at 4:05pm
lol Buddha—-I assumed that last night’s presentation would bring some action here.
The $$ sounds like something out of the Biden playbook and the “B-word” is a big number.
7.5 mill $$ in our own cash up front for his entities’ initial project( do they have any past projects of this scope alReady in operation and successful anywhere?).

As for the Main Street crowd, I didn’t hear much support from the residents….actually the opposite. “Not in my backyard” loudly and clearly. Obvious road enlargement, traffic/parking/noise issues to impact property values and residential quality of life issues were mentioned. Not sure exactly who is the local groups in support here—waiting to hear Council and candidate opines and comments….
Sounds as if Forest Hills is giving in after a good try to sustain. Seems to be a key piece of real estate to make this work, along with demo of west S Main from First to Sorg mansion? Browns run could go also?

Personally, I Don’t see the community showing enough support for existing local businesses as a major concern. Maybe a non-issue from my head?

The location seems to work better in Hamilton, and maybe some type of river transportation from north/south? Highway access has always been problematic as it always has. Route 4 improvements on both ends of the city? 122 from the west?

Actually I see the biggest winners from this project being property owners and townships just across the river bridge. Not yet hooked to Middletown city control…….

Thoughts??
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2021 at 4:22pm
Sheesh - here we go again.  They want to build a huge entertainment complex on the Great Miami Drainage Ditch!

Tell your councilmembers NO!  Then vote 'em the hell out!  We got some decent ones to vote in this time - which could give us a 3-2 margin on the council!

Here's the quick letter I sent them.

----
Dear Members of council, Madam Mayor, Madam Clerk and Mr. City Manager:

It's time for the City of Middletown to stop abusing taxpayer monies (and before you come at me with a retort that it isn't LOCAL money - it's still my money regardless of the source!) on things that the private sector would never do on its own.

Here we are again - this time you want to write a 7.5 MILLION dollar check to create yet another failed project that no one wants to come to.

Instead of taxing people to death in this city (this last time for the roads, now fire stations) stick that money is places that it is NEEDED not merely desired by the South Main types.

You have a chance here to do something really, really good for the community with this money - proceeding with this giveaway of our lands, taxpayer dollars to a Minnesota corporation - well, it's beyond the pale.  Why don't the good folks on South Main just kick in the $2B needed to build this monstrosity - if they want it - let them build it.

While the EAST end - the gateway to all things Middletown - dies on the vine without support from council - we're gonna build another eyesore we have to use taxpayer dollars to demolish twenty years from now.  Y'all don't know how to learn from mistakes, do ya?

Respectfully submitted,
Bob Nolan

"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic