FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Akers Packaging Flourishes in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Akers Packaging Flourishes in Middletown
    Posted: Dec 01 2008 at 3:47pm

Middletown, Ohio has proven to be a successful staging ground for yet another company.  Akers Packaging, started by William Akers in 1963, has grown from a workforce of three to one of over 135, with nearly $128 million a year in business.

Since its founding in 1963, the Middletown facility has undergone a series of expansions and upgrades.  This included a 1996 expansion of 150,000 square feet of manufacturing space and the recent addition of a $1 million two-color dye cutter-printer that will not only increase the efficiency of the plant, but increase its production capacity as well.

“Middletown is a great place to work and raise a family,” said Joe Lyons, a spokesman for Akers Packaging.  Lyons attributes Akers’ success to the good school system, the excellent work ethic of the people, a community culture that feeds economic growth, and the city’s strategic location along I-75 between Dayton and Cincinnati.

“By being almost exactly between the two larger markets, we virtually double our options,” said Lyons.  “We have two international airports, two larger markets to sell to, and the ability to get our products to customers with minimum effort and expense.”

Throughout the years, Akers has worked with the Middletown Economic Development Corporation and the City of Middletown, and has been an active member of the Mid-Miami Valley Chamber of Commerce.

The Middletown Economic Development Corporation, directed by Larry Wood, has proven to be a valuable asset to many companies who seek professional assistance in their development and expansion efforts.  MEDC works to retain business in the city, and to provide consultative services to Middletown-area businesses.

Source: Middletown EDC
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 6:39am
As I read Mr. Lyons comments about the attributes of the city as it applies to Akers, perhaps these words should be included with the Econ. Dev. Director's pitch when trying to attract businessess to the city.Perhaps Akers Packaging should be used as the "demo model" of inception of company to success of company when approaching new business leads. Also, after reading what Mr. Wood and his Economic Development Corporation does, isn't it very similar (to the point of duplication) of what the Econ. Dev. Director and his staff are suppose to do?
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2008 at 11:14am
Its hard to find the good word about Middletown on the net. I think council is letting the media do all the story telling.

I think they ought to help economic development by making sure the media gets all the good news by packaging that good news in press releases, press conferences and local supporting blogs and websites.

An idea whose time has come. Climb aboard MiddletownUSA.com if you are a business, organization, church, school or government entity. We want your good news.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2008 at 10:42pm
Good news for a change. What about Bay West? There are businesses that are doing well in Middletown. Why are they not noted in the Middletown Journal? Because MJ puts in good news about Hamilton & West Chester.
I usually find better news about Middletown going north towards Dayton via the internet. But I still like to sit down and READ a newspaper. I want to read good things about Middletown, such as Akers Pkg. I can watch the bad stuff on the evening news. Was this article in the MJ?
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 11:14am

Great points and that's why you will never see the typical "train wreck" news on this website.

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2008 at 11:47am
Our intention is to be pro-Middletown, but sometimes we get thrown under the bus by things people do.

We are trying to be realistic about things too.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

middletuckian View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2008 at 10:22am
my brother in law is a Supervisor here, he says the place definitely could be better air conditioned.
When all else fails they pack-it-in!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic