FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miami Univ Student Project on Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miami Univ Student Project on Middletown
    Posted: Dec 27 2008 at 4:00pm
Check out this website.  It is a project done by Miami Univ. Students on Middletown and Union County.

Then Click on Radio/TV Shows at the top and listen to the first audio show about Middletown.  Pay particular attention to comments by Middletown Employees and Notable Citizens.

This is an excellent project created by these talented students.  I hope the city is paying attention.Thumbs%20Up
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 9:46am
Watched the segments on the community and the schools. One problem with the students research. They only got one side of the fence on the opinions. Proper research requires looking at all aspects of the targeted issues. They only interviewed Price, Alberico, Wright and others representing the city/school's opinion. Result-- they received the typical programmed nonsense from Price and others. Alberico mentioned that the schools want to "partner" with the community for success. Will this really help? Where was this so-called "partnering" 35 years ago when the schools started to deteriorate in performance? In reality, this is just pure propaganda and the words are empty. Price stating that the bonds were for brick and mortor and that the need is there for operations. Why vote to fund operations with many years of non advancement in performance? With that logic, we are just throwing good money after bad. The statement that the new schools have brought new students into the district and parents that were sending their kids to private schools are now re-enrolling them into Midd. schools. Yeah, right!The schools have declining enrollment. Wright insinuating that the schools have improved- why didn't she mention that the schools have been at the bottom in performance when compared to surrounding districts? Wouldn't that have been more truthful for the study? I would like to invite the Miami students back to focus on talking to the people who won't blatantly lie about the situation and get a factual account( we'll show you the actual numbers from the proficiency testing for this district) for the schools and tell you about the decisions Council has made over the last 30 years concerning the town.If you want the real story Miami students, ask some of us older folks who have been around for awhile, not the newer people who helped ruin the town and the schools. We won't lie to you. As it stands now, this presentation doesn't represent the true state of the schools or the town. Try again.   
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:26pm
So why is this post even important? Does anyone even know about it? The partnering, I mean. First I heard about it was on this site.

MY PREDICTION.....
ALL LOCAL SCHOOLS WILL BE ASKING FOR MONEY IN 2009. No one's gonna give a crap about "partnering".
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2008 at 11:54pm
The part that was important at least to me in the radio show commentary was the fact that Ann Mort admitted basically that Section 8 is out of hand and also Kohler did the same.  Section 8 and Poverty if you ask me is the straw that is breaking the camels back in Middletown.  It is a significant part of the school issue and it is most definitely a big part of the lack of economic growth in Middletown.  Now the city leaders can sit there and say the Forbes article about Middletown being a top 10 dieing City is a bunch of crap all they want.  The fact is the story is out and the Census figures to back it up are out also.

The question is do they do something to improve the situation or just maintain the status quo and kill Middletown.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 9:51am
Listened to the segment again. Sounds like Marty Kohler jumped on the "excessive Section 8 bandwagon" with Mort. If they will admit it, why won't Council? Seems if they all know that Section 8 is helping to drag the city down, why not get rid of it? Again, perhaps, someone in a decision-making capacity is making money on it and wants to keep it at all costs. Wonder why no picture, only audio on the segment? The others had both.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2008 at 9:58am
It is my understanding that the audio only was a radio show, if I remember correctly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic