FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hooray!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooray!!!
    Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 8:03am
Finally, it sounds like we actually have some legitimate GOOD NEWS!!

Way to go, KIDS...and TEACHERS!!!
Big%20smileClapThumbs%20Up
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 8:34am
This is GOOD NEW!
Now we need to start working on improving the Head Start Programs so we can have some GREAT NEWS!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 10:45am
What are we happy about? What did the schools do?
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

What are we happy about? What did the schools do?

Ditto! What's the latest?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 11:33am

Kindergarten scores up with new program

By Meagan Engle

Staff Writer

Monday, March 02, 2009

Susan Snelling no longer has to rush. For the first time, the Wildwood Elementary School kindergarten teacher has a full day with her students.

Middletown City Schools implemented all-day kindergarten for every student this year. The change nearly tripled the amount of time the youngsters spend in school.

"There are so many benefits truly to all-day kindergarten," Snelling said.

"There are just huge, huge gains there," she said. "We're able to do much more teaching."

Districtwide, test results show the extra time in school is working.

Middletown students take a reading assessment in September, which gauges skill levels when they start school.

Then in January, they take another, more advanced assessment to measure if they are on pace with how much a student should have learned.

In the first year of all-day kindergarten, 43 percent of students met the benchmark in the first test and 72 percent met the benchmark just three months later.

Results from the 2007-08 school year, when some students were at kindergarten all day, show the same upward trend.

Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland wants every Ohio school to see those kind of benefits.

Strickland has proposed a plan that, among many reforms, would require every school district in the state to offer all-day kindergarten by fiscal year 2012.

Middletown Senior Director of Learning Betsy Carter said the longer day doesn't mean a nap time.

"It really is content time," said Carter, who said the students are exposed to art, music and physical education during the full day.

For Snelling's class, the extra time has led to measurable results, such as more students putting words together, sounding them out and writing.

At this point last year, two or three children would be reading in Snelling's class. This year, 12 of the 26 students are reading.

"They're much further along than last year or any previous year," she said.

Although Snelling said a few students might not be able to handle the long day, that's not a problem for 5-year-old Zaidyn Duggins.

"I like to learn a lot. I like to play with my friends and do cool stuff," Zaidyn said.

"My favorite thing is learning," he said, pausing. "And lunch."

"It's a long day of school," he said. "But I love my teacher, so that's why I like it."

MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 1:28pm
So this is Middletown's first all day K year? 08-09?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic