FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohio Unemployment Rate 8.8%

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohio Unemployment Rate 8.8%
    Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 9:27am
Ohio's unemployment rate was 8.8 percent in January, up from the revised rate of 7.4 in December, according to data released this morning by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Ohio's nonfarm wage and salary employment decreased 59,700 over the month, from 5,271,900 in December, to 5,212,200 in January.

"Ohio's labor market showed continued decline in January," ODJFS Director Douglas Lumpkin said. "The unemployment rate rose to 8.8 percent as job losses increased in both the goods-producing and service-providing industries."

The number of workers unemployed in Ohio in January was 524,000, up from 445,000 in December. The number of unemployed has increased by 181,000 in the past 12 months from 343,000. The January unemployment rate for Ohio was up from 5.7 percent in January 2008.

The U.S. unemployment rate for January was 7.6 percent, up from 7.2 percent in December.

Source: ODJFS
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 9:29am
I see Middletown's rate has risen to 10.9%, above the 8.8% Ohio unemployment rate.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 2:09am
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

I see Middletown's rate has dropped to 10.9%, above the 8.8% Ohio unemployment rate.
Mr. Beagle:
I realize that you desperately want to report "good news" here, but you should try to stay somewhere near the truth.

I certainly don't know where you get your information, BUT (There's always a "but", isn't there?) Middletown's unemployment rate has NOT "DROPPED" to 10.9% in January.

There was an unemployment rate of 8.3 percent in Middletown and 7.1 percent in Hamilton in December of last year, according to the Ohio Job and Family Services report.

Going from 8.3% in December to 10.9% in January unemployment means unemployment has sharply RISEN, not dropped!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 9:19am
Mike,
You are right, it was an error on my part.
I have corrected my post.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

John
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 3:37pm
New rates were posted for Feb.

"Ohio's unemployment rate was 9.4 percent in February, up from 8.8 percent in January"
Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 1:10pm
Middletown's unemployment rate is 11.9 percent for last month
Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2009 at 9:32am
March 2009 Ohio unemployment rates-

Ohio's unemployment rate was 9.7 percent in March, up from the revised rate of 9.5 percent in February, according to data released this morning by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

Butler County March 2009 unemployment rate- 9.2%

Here is the unemployment data from the last several years graphed.

Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 9:25am
Ohio's unemployment rate was 10.2 percent in April, up from 9.7 percent in March, according to data released this morning by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/RELEASES/unemp/200905/UnempPressRelease.asp
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2009 at 7:36pm
Middletown unemployment 12.1% and rising.  This is going to be a bad summer.....I look for many businesses to go under....probably mine included.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 9:44am
What do you do Pacman?
General Patton View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 10:35am
Pacman -

I thought that the City's commitment to economic development was supposed to help small, medium and large businesses?  What are their results to date?  It makes me wonder how effective that they are?

As a downtown business person, how would you rate the City's performance?  I'm guessing that your rating would be similar to mine and many others who take part in this Blog forum.

Many of us wish you and your business well.  Keep up the good fight.
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 10:50am
Ohio's unemployment rate was 10.8 percent in May, up from 10.2 percent in April
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 10:57am
At this point Jonathan I am a struggling small business owner in Middletown.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 11:29am
Middletown Unemployment is 12%! 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 11:31am
Middletown's unemployment rate actually FELL during May!!!  It dropped from 12.1% to 12.0%!!!

The recession must be OVER in Middletown!!!  City Hall must've been RIGHT!!!  Downtown MUST be BOOMING, and that must be the economic engine driving Middletown's employment explosion!!!

~~Happy days are here again...~~ Clap Big%20smile 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 11:38am
Yeah the .1% moved out of town.LOL
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 11:46am
The experts are even saying the economy is in recovery and the recession is nearly over. Kind of funny how they only discovered last December that we were in a recession and now 6 months later it's almost over ? (scratching my head)
Middletown will be booming as soon as they put an income tax increase & property tax increase on the ballot. The money will be rolling in !!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 1:26pm
Warren Buffett to CNBC: U.S. Economy In "Shambles" .. No Signs of Recovery Yet

Posted By: Alex Crippen | Executive Producer
cnbc.com
| 24 Jun 2009 | 01:11 PM ET

In a live interview on CNBC today, Warren Buffett said there has been little progress over the past few months in the "economic war" being fought by the country.  "We haven't got the economy moving yet."

While the economy is a "shambles" and likely to stay that way for some time, he remains optimistic there will eventually be a recovery over a period of years.

Buffett says the nation should concentrate on creating jobs.

Buffett also noted that he had a cataract operation on his left eye about a month ago.  He joked that he thought it might help him see "green shoots" for the economy, but so far he hasn't seen any hopeful signs. 

Taking a firm position in an ongoing debate in the financial markets, Buffett says he's not concerned at all about deflation, but does think inflation will be a problem in coming years.

Despite his negative view on the economy, Buffett still believes the stock market is attractive "over the next 10 years" when compared to alternatives like Treasury bonds.

Buffett endorsed Ben Bernanke's reappointment as Federal Reserve Chairman, saying "you couldn't do better."  He also praised Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner.

Asked about how Apple handled Steve Jobs' liver transplant, Buffett said it is a "material fact" when the CEO of a company is facing major surgery.  He thinks criticism of Apple over the matter is appropriate.

Buffett repeated his criticism of "cap and trade" as a method to control pollution, saying it would be a huge, regressive tax.

For more Buffett Watch updates follow alexcrippen on Twitter.

Questions?  Comments?  Email me at document.write(""); document.write("buffettwatch"+"@"+"cnbc.com"); buffettwatch@cnbc.com document.write('');

© 2009 CNBC, Inc. All Rights Reserved

URL: http://www.cnbc.com/id/31526130/

Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 3:00pm
I always read that Warren Buffett was a discipline of Hussein Obama?ConfusedConfused  It sounds like he has joined the rapidly growing ranks of the disillusioned?ConfusedConfused

Thanks again Pacman for helping to keep us informed.  The national print and broadcast media (including our local media) sure keeps things under wraps............that is, except for Fox.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic