FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Park Street Ice Cream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Park Street Ice Cream
    Posted: Mar 17 2009 at 7:16am
Soundoff in the Journal the other day with someone asking about Park St Ice Cream. Remember getting that home made ice cream on occasion with my grandparents. This prompted me to start thinking about the Avalon Dairy which was across from Frisch's on Germantown Rd. Great homemade ice cream there also. Also mentioned by a Soundoff respondant was the summertime ritual of getting a watermelon from the Midd. Coal Co. on Curtis St. A cold watermelon was a must on a hot summer day back in the 50's and was expected for backyard family outings.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2009 at 7:57am
Vet
You are really taking us back to the good old days and that yummy creamy ice cream.
You had to stand in really long lines at Park Street but it was worth the wait.
When I was very young the school took us on a field trip to the Avalon Dairy. I believe they made their ice cream from Jersey milk, which gave it that wonderful creamy taste. I have an old Avalon glass bottle sitting in my kitchen as we speak.
Yep...I remember we would ride our bikes past Middletown Ice & Coal looking for those trucks from the South that were filled with the first watermelons of summer and then go home to pester our parents to buy one. We also bought watermelons from the little fruit stand on Main Steet across from A & W. Did you ever have any block parties in your neighborhood? Those were the best!
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2009 at 10:19pm
Pretty much today's sounds off was about Park St Ice Cream.
With the exception of the Madison Girls BasketBall Team!!!!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 5:38pm

Vet

I remember my dad taking us to Park St. most paydays. As VM stated both serving windows had long lines. Probably the best ice cream ever.
If you'll remember, Midd. Ice & Coal would plug a watermelon for you to see if it met your satisfaction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic