FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alzheimer's Support Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SDunavent View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDunavent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alzheimer's Support Group
    Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 2:41pm
Join Rittenhouse Senior Living of Middletown (formerly McKnight Terrace) and families caring for loved ones diagnosed with Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease for a monthly support group meeting on Tuesday, April 14 at 6:30 p.m
These informal one-hour discussions are designed to help caregivers better understand and cope with the issues and behaviors associated with dementia by talking with other in similar situations.
This event is free and a light dinner will be served.  Please reserve your spot by calling Rittenhouse Senior Living of Middletown, 513-423-2322, by April 13.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 4:43pm
I  know some people that work at the Ritten House and have been there a few times and it is a very nice place. I think  it is a great thing that they have such group discussions.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 4:48pm
It is good we have such services in our area. 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
hightide View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hightide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 9:22am
Im glad to see people who support people with Alzheimer's. More power guys!
know the consequences of long term care
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 9:52am
Originally posted by SDunavent SDunavent wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3>Join Rittenhouse Senior Living of Middletown (formerly McKnight Terrace) and families caring for loved ones diagnosed with Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease for a monthly support group meeting on Tuesday, April 14 at 6:30 p.m

These informal one-hour discussions are designed to help caregivers better understand and cope with the issues and behaviors associated with dementia by talking with other in similar situations.

This event is free and a light dinner will be served.  Please reserve your spot by calling Rittenhouse Senior Living of Middletown, 513-423-2322, by April 13.

Is there something similar for caregiver help with stroke patients? My son and I have been looking for an opportunity to talk to some people in our situation as caregivers for stroke patients to see if we could make our jobs easier on a day to day basis. We have been caregiving now for almost two years and need to ease the burden a little if possible. We have just recently been denied by Medicaid and Passport/Meals on Wheels for someone to come into the home for a couple of hours per week because we make too much money. We can't afford to pay $30-$50 per hour out of pocket for a private caregiver and we make too much to qualify for the services available. No man's land.

Thank you in advance.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 3:24pm

Vet,

Have you spoken with anyone at the Middletown Area Senior Center???

I am not 100% certain, but I believe that they have people who can advise you on this.  If nothing else, perhaps they can lead you to the right agencies.

At the very least, their Meals-on-Wheels program will deliver a nice lunch every day, and provide transportation to and from doctors or therapists when you cannot.

I realize that those would only be small steps in your case, but here is their number: 217-2481.

I hope that this helps.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 3:53pm

Vet,

Please do call that number (217-2481) and ask to speak with Elaine McNabb (spelling?)

I’ve already received a call from someone familiar with the services provided by the MASC (Middletown Area Senior Center), and this person thinks that they can help.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:08pm
Mike..

Yes, I have spoken with the people at the Midd. Senior Citizens. We receive transportation from them from Ron Evans, the Trans. supervisor. They take her to and from her doctors appts. and we have made donations to them for that service. Haven't received anything else from them though. We were just denied Medicaid from Jobs and Family Services in Hamilton. Said she and I make too much money per month and had too many assets to qualify. No Meals On Wheels and no one to come in for a couple of hours per week to bathe her and to let us run errands/give us a little break. I sent them a letter after the denial as I thought it was a waste of time to appeal their decision. Thought the appeal outcome would be the same and I don't have the luxury of taking off work to accomodate their appeals system. Assets are assets I guess. As I have said before, we are too poor to afford $30-$50 per hour for private care and too "rich" to qualify for Medicaid. My son and I work full time jobs and take turns as caregivers for her. We don't have any family in town that can help. She has to be watched 24/7. Don't understand that this lady thinks they can help us with more services but will call them again. Perhaps she knows more than the first person I talked to at the Seniors Center. Thank you for the tip and for caring. and remember..."if in doubt, throw the incumbants out"
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:41pm
Mike- just called Elaine. We'll see what happens. Thank you.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 12:31am

Vet,

I happened to run into a couple of folks who are pretty familiar with the services offered by the MASC earlier this evening.  I discussed what I know about your situation, and they agreed that Elaine McNabb was the proper place to start.  They also felt that your wife should qualify for the home-delivered meals program, provided she was over 60 years of age.  (I told them that I was unsure of that, since you seemed to be the “cradle robber” type!!! LOL)

Please keep me advised.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 9:27am
Mike- she is 60. Turned 60 in January. Had to wait for transportation from Midd. Seniors until she turned 60. Again, thank you for the effort and contact. More importantly, thank you for caring.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 11:48am
Vet sorry to hear that you have to go through what you are with your wife.Its a crying shame that the ones that DO need help and has pay there debt to society cant get it.But the ones that have grown up to be Welfare babies can get it at a drop of a dime.If this state would do as Kentucky has and make people take a drug test before any help is handed out this state would save a hell of alot more money.
katiebell View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 1:26pm
This is information from the Ohio Brain Injury Association, you may be able to get some info here.
http://biaoh.org/who.html
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2011 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

Vet sorry to hear that you have to go through what you are with your wife.Its a crying shame that the ones that DO need help and has pay there debt to society cant get it.But the ones that have grown up to be Welfare babies can get it at a drop of a dime.If this state would do as Kentucky has and make people take a drug test before any help is handed out this state would save a hell of alot more money.
I agree with you 100%,why is it that honest people that work hard all their lives are refused help in times of tragedies but they are expected to keep working and pay taxes so that worthless drunks and drug addicts can sit back and collect welfare benefits.This just stinks!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by katiebell katiebell wrote:

This is information from the Ohio Brain Injury Association, you may be able to get some info here.
http://biaoh.org/who.html

Thank you so much for the contact katiebell. I have called Cincinnati/ Ms. O'Neill at this site and left a message. Don't know if this program applies to a brain injury from stroke or not but worth a shot. Thank you again for the info. I also appreciate the concerns from LMAO and Bo also. Your thoughts are very much welcomed. God Bless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic