FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEWS FLASH!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEWS FLASH!
    Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 11:53am
Channel 12 News will be at the cemetery at noon today.
If you have family memebers buried there now is the time to speak up
Tom Rapp is on his way as we speak...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 12:07pm
Vivian- I'm at work in Dayton. Can't make it or I would speak for my Grandfathers family who are buried there. The Stillwaughs.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 12:16pm
Vivian, you are a mover and a shaker! Keep up the good work!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 1:17pm
John
I didn't call them...They called me while I was cleaning my oven and wanted me at the cemetery ASAP. I guess we will be on the 6 o'clock News. I think they interviewwd several other couples that were in the cemetery researching their families. One family was related to the First Mayor of Middletown.
Viet I wish you could have been there also.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 6:15pm
Budget cuts have city's eliminating all kinds of services, but a group of local residents say cash should not be an issue when it comes to respecting the dead. They are worried an historic cemetery in Middletown is falling apart.

Local 12's Larry Davis has the story.

From the outside looking in, the old Middletown Cemetery appears to be well preserved. Maintenance crews are cutting the grass. But a group of concerned citizens say take a closer look inside. Tombstones, dating back to the early 1800's are broken. Vandals have overturned others.

Tom Rapp, Wants Cemetery Maintained: "There are a lot of people, pardon my french, damned mad and I mean damned mad."

Tom Rapp has no family buried here, so why is he and many others so angry at the city.

"Because we're supposed to respect the dead."

The historic vault has vegetation and small trees growing out of cracks in the walls. There's talk of tearing it down, because the city says it can't pay for the required maintenance.

"This is a wonderful old building, this is the history of Middletown right here and why the city wants to tear it down is beyond me. I don't understand it."

This cemetery is also known as the Pioneer Cemetery. It's home to many of Middletown's founding fathers. Vivian Moon has been fighting the city for five years, saying it hasn't done its job in preserving the cemetery.

Vivian Moon, Wants Cemetery Maintained: "It is the city's obligation to maintain under Ohio state law to maintain this cemetery under minimum maintenance."

Councilman Tony Marconi says "while the city is expected to come in one million dollars under budget, it does have an obligation to the city's founding fathers to maintain the cemetary."

Tom Rapp says he and the others will continue the fight for this historic property.
"This is our history here, this is our history."

Neither Middletown's mayor or city manager were unavailable for comment today. Councilman Marconi says the city can't be hypocritical. He says if a private citizen maintained their property like this, the city would have them in court.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 6:25pm

Was that a City Lawn mower in the News Story and was it coincidence that it was there or did the City rush it over there?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2009 at 7:30pm
Pacman
No...the City does not have any mowing crews. They mow the cemetery every Wednesday in the springtime.  That is the only thing that the City does for the cemetery.
Well I meet with the City Manager tomorrow morning...more news later
Thank You Councilman Marconi for telling the truth to the public.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 6:26am
Vivian- Mr. Rapp- Nice job on the Channel 12 report.   
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 8:19am
Fantastic !! Lets see how council explains this blackeye !
Yes Vivian,you are a mover & shaker !! Clap
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 4:50pm
So is anything going to come of this?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2009 at 5:21pm
John
Had my meeting with the City Manager this morning.
I'm working on this Little Project as we speak.
I need as many as possible to show up and speak at the next council meeting.
We need to fill the seats of City Hall
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic