FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hamilton Gets the Gravy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton Gets the Gravy
    Posted: May 22 2009 at 7:19am
Looks like Hamilton is the big winner in the HUD marathon money give away. $605,828 in federal HUD money is going to Hamilton. Wow, I bet the Middletown city leaders are really mad about Hamilton getting what should rightfully be Middletown's nest egg for Section 8, homelessness and in general, maintaining the "poor community" status. I know that their goal was to be the board leader in SW Ohio- perhaps the Midwest! After all, WE ARE SECTION 8!!! Now, Gilleland and crew will be hardpressed to expand the Section 8 program. I feel bad for them. Now, it will take even longer to reach their goal of a 50% Section 8/ homeless population for old Middletown. In the meantime, I believe we should be content with our 1662 Section 8 vouchers- now that's something to brag about!!!
Go Buckeyes! View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Go Buckeyes! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2009 at 8:03am
HOMEOWNERSHIP PROMOTION IS A PRIORITY!!
ENCOURAGE MIDDLE-INCOME FAMILIES TO MOVE BACK!!

An E-mail From A Former City Employee Friend To Local Realtors 

One of the last things that I did as a City employee before "RESIGNING??" was to verify the status CDBG and HOME Program funds this past January.

At that time there were $120,000+ in HOME Program funds available for first-time buyers.  I was told then that nearly all of those funds were committed for loans that were to close reasonably soon.  Now, it is almost June and senior Community Revitalization Department staff says that 15 loans of these pending DPA loans ($90,000) still have not closed?  Something is confusing about all of this.

It's a compliment indirectly when both the "suddenly recently resigned" and interim CRD directors spoke/speak with pride about the 58 Down Payment Assistance loans closed last year.  Neither one had anything at all with making this program a reality and changing program implementation policies.  As we all know, only 4 to 5 DPA loans were closed annually before the former Consolidated Planning Committee and I made major changes.  And, I was steadfast in making unspent HOME Program funds available in support of our partnership and helping younger, working families to move into empty foreclosed homes.

I am disappointed that far fewer HUD funds are allocated for new DPA purposes.  And, despite CRD staff comments, City Council and the City Manager wish for $2.144 million HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program funds to focus more on demolition than increased homeownership.  They have said that at City Council meetings and in the Middletown Journal.

I know that I am patting myself on the back, but...............the truth is the truth.

Nelson Self
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic