FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Manager wants Bike Path

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
General Patton View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2009 at 9:31am
Miss Vivian -

You must be scratching your head after reading how the all-knowing inhabitants of One Donham Plaza proposed to spend the extra $180,000 in HUD funds that the City is to receive.  What hypocrisy that they only have $11,000 available to spend at the Historic Pioneer Cemetery??  They are masters of double-speak!! AngryAngryAngry
katiebell View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2009 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by General Patton General Patton wrote:

installing additional playground apparatus .
Where does this kind of expendature fit into energy efficiency?
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 2:03pm
Does the middletown leaders have some of those government funds for Vivian Moon's repair project?  Our ancestors are buried in the cemetery on First.

We must repect the founders of our city like I respect Jerry Lynch, Johnny Temple, Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson.  Long live Crosley Field.

Smokey
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 4:32pm
Hi Smokey!!
"Catchy" screen name!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 2:36pm
Mike,
There is only about 50 feet that needs repair. The bike path will ultimately connect with the Great Miami Bike Path aka River Corridor Bikeway that goes through Dayton to Taylorsville MetroPark. Here is a photo from today of part of the bike path near entryway at Baxter and RT 73.

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

My preference is also a bike path. Repairs are needed to the existing one between Trenton and Middletown.

Check out this photo of a section that needs repairs:
Mr. Beagle:

First, the pictures make it obvious that the problem would require an EXPENSIVE fix! The problem is the “base” (or sub-base), and would require extensive excavation and engineered backfill, at a minimum! Also, the pictures seem to indicate that this section of the bike path is on the “river side” of the levee. If this is true, ‘tis folly to try to either repair or extend the path in its current configuration and this entire section has been a WASTE of public funds.

Second, the City Manager has proposed "to make the final 2 mile connection of our bike path to Franklin” and did not mention any repairs to existing portions of the path. If she maintains a consistent policy (with that used for the vault at Middletown’s Pioneer Cemetery) since there is no money for restoration of the path, it must be DEMOLISHED, especially since this now has been reported and is a LIABILITY for the City.

Third, the City Manager is using the same sort of convoluted logic typical of Middletown’s Council and City Hall when she states “Activities that might be eligible include bike paths (due to fuel conservation)…”! This implies that trips by bike would “REPLACE” trips by fuel-burning vehicles. I can’t imagine this to be true. If anything, this would INCREASE fuel usage by encouraging people to load their expensive bikes onto their gas-guzzling SUVs; drive TWO vehicles to their destination point, then drive one vehicle to their starting point, peddle to their destination, load their bikes onto the destination vehicle, drive BACK to the starting point, pick up the first vehicle, then drive the TWO vehicles home. Can ANYONE explain to me how this “CONSERVES” fuel?

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 6:13pm
Jonh, I am not against a Bike path, but as far as the Farce that it is going to be an energy saver, as in people are going to be lining up to ride their bikes to work or anywhere else that they would normally take their car is just a joke. The people that use the path for recreation and pleasure will continue to do so, there will be no mass abandonment of the auto to use the Bike Path.

The Bike path will benefit very few residents of Middletown at this time.  While $500k spent on updating buildings, repairing the Fire Houses that we keep hearing are deplorable in some cases would be a much better use of these funds  at this time and would benefit the City as a whole.

Can you tell me that even 20% how about 15% of the Middletown Population uses this Bike Path the 6-7 months out of the year that it is feasible to use it?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 10:07pm
Playground's & bike path's,more important than street's and job's I guess. Oh that's right,we have the steel mill,sorry I keep forgetting. AK will save us as in the past,Oh that's right,they moved the headquarters to West Chester,I guess they don't care about us,they all but left us outright,I'm so sad now. But we have a bike path !! That will bring people ! And people who need job's ! No wait,the people will want section 8 housing & they live on welfare so they won't need job's,I'm so forgetful. Adult entertainment !! We need lot's of adult entertainment ! That WILL bring people & job's. It will also give the police more to do besides pestering citizens who park on the street. Plus....council members can hold retreats at the club's ! Some brilliant idea's have come from inside adult club's.

I'm sorry,I was just thinking out loud.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 10:29pm

Mr. Beagle:

With all due respect, judging stricly and solely on your originally posted photo (shown below) and a reasonable knowledge of the local geology, I can make some observations and reach reasonable conclusion.  (Please bear in mind that I am neither a registered civil engineer, nor a licensed geologist, and I am providing an "opinion only".)

It certainly appears that either the designer or the builder of the bike path recognized a soil problem in this area, and elected to put down some sort of prepared base.  (The picture looks a lot like "blast furnace slag", an excellent engineered fill material, was used. However, I doubt it.  It is more probably an O-DOT-rated crushed rock.)

Even with this preparation, the pictures clearly indicate failure due to what is frequently called "pumping".  If this occurs with the extremely light loads (bicycles and ATVs?) or even occasional 4x4s, this indicates a sub-base that needs extensive attention.  This is somewhat similar to the problem that Franklin had with S. Riley Blvd. (Also known as Canal St.)

What needs to be done?  There are several options, none of which are cheap. 

Excavate until an acceptable load bearing stratum is reached, an backfill using engineered fill.
Try to stabilize the existing sub-base by grout injection or any of several other expensive and risky ways.

Drive piles, and pour a pile cap.

Attempt compaction by vibration (unlikely to succeed), surcharge (would take a couple of years, at least), etc.

Now I don't know the exact location of either this spot, or of the latest photo that looks so nice, but I'm willing to bet a goodly sum that soil conditions are much different.

You might also try "floating slabs", a mud mat, or excavating down a few feet and trying flowable fill.

I am NOT trying to knock the bike path, I am just trying to point out the facts as I see them.  Perhaps you should check with the REAL construction experts in Middletown, the ones that stated they were the ONLY ONES capable of making the construction decisions on that so-called HUGE (in actuality, merely $13 million) project, "Crossroads 2000."  That would be then-City Commissioners Nenni, Schiavone, Banks, Sennet, and whoever else was there in 2000.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

Playground's & bike path's,more important than street's and job's I guess. Oh that's right,we have the steel mill,sorry I keep forgetting. AK will save us as in the past,Oh that's right,they moved the headquarters to West Chester,I guess they don't care about us,they all but left us outright,I'm so sad now. But we have a bike path !! That will bring people ! And people who need job's ! No wait,the people will want section 8 housing & they live on welfare so they won't need job's,I'm so forgetful. Adult entertainment !! We need lot's of adult entertainment ! That WILL bring people & job's. It will also give the police more to do besides pestering citizens who park on the street. Plus....council members can hold retreats at the club's ! Some brilliant idea's have come from inside adult club's.

I'm sorry,I was just thinking out loud.

Now that's funny!
Am I out of line than the usual posts?
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 10:49pm
I'm sorry. But is a bike path even feasible along the Middletown area without flooding?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2009 at 4:06am
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

I'm sorry. But is a bike path even feasible along the Middletown area without flooding?
Whether or not it is feasable is a moot point!!!  Most of it has already been constructed using CBDG funding that could have been used for repairing streets in our poorest neighborhoods, or even past the mansions on S. Main!!

The question now is whether or not to use the $400K earmarked by the Feds for "energy conservation" to complete the last missing piece of the bike path linking Middletown's part to Franklin's section.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2009 at 5:09am
Those leaders, or should I say dictators, of the City need to spend new federal taxpayer dollars to fix up city buildings and reduce their energy costs.Clap  Adding to the Bicycle path does not compare.Angry

Smokey

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2009 at 9:59am
IF MY GUESS IS RIGHT, I MIGHT KNOW THE DADDY OF THIS GUY??

Sale Date: 11-Jun-09

Plaintiff: CITIMORTGAGE, INC.

Defendant: MATTHEW B. ARM_R_S_ER, ET AL

Address: 4101 L ISA LN., MIDDLETOWN 45042

Case # : CV08114883 Appraised: $128700  Starting Bid: $85800

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2009 at 10:24am
Madisonmom I'm glad you liked my posting even though it was in jest. But on the serious side it is beyond ignorance for the city to even think about spending money on this path. Especially stimulus money or energy money or whatever you want to call it. Thing's such as the bike path & playground equipment come AFTER everything else. Safety,stability,good resources etc,etc come first or at least should anyway. When the economic base is stable and the tax money and donation's are rolling in then worry about the recreation side of thing's,not before. What benefit is it to have a million dollar bike path when you have no money to maintain it and a very small percentage of the populace that use it ? Is the new moto of Middeltown going to say "Middletown,a great place to raise your family and start a business because we have a bike path". Put that on a sign out by the interstate and see how fast people flock to Middeltown.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic