FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beau Verre Stained Glass Studio in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SarahA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beau Verre Stained Glass Studio in Middletown
    Posted: Jun 04 2009 at 7:09pm
Beau Verre/Riordan Stained Glass Studio is located at 1054 Central Avenue in a newly restored "5 and 10 Cent Store," turn of the century building in the heart of Middletown, Ohio.   The company started in 1983 in a home workshop and has now grown into a nationally respected business.  The business draws tourists and high-end clients from around the world.

MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2009 at 11:18pm
You can also learn more about Beau Verre/Riodan Studios on TVMiddletown's "Flip this Town".
First Episode. Very informative.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 9:02am
That is the one place I want to stop at every time I drive through town. It just looks so interesting. Thanks for the story!
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 10:01am
That "5 and 10 Cent store" Sarah A refers to is the old G.C.Murphy 5 and dime store from the 50's. It was also the place to catch the green and white Ortman-Stewart buses that lined up along the sidewalk outside this location to transport the downtown shoppers back to places like Meadowlawn, Mayfield, Lakeside, Park Place and Crawford St. They were on the front sign on the buses. Next to Murphy's was the old bus station where you could get a newspaper, baseball cards, a comic book, a Coke or a bubblegum cigar before heading back home on the bus. Ahh, for the more simple times.   
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2009 at 10:59am
Downtown is looking good. So why can't we attract more business? Where have all the mom and pop businesses gone? I don't think we have to focus on retail. Any business tenant will do.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2009 at 11:18am
Jonathan there is a lot more than just looking good that goes into running or locating any type of Business not just downtown but anywhere.  The main question is can the downtown support any retail or service business that requires the customer to come to you.  If you are a business that is not going to rely on walkin traffic and your customers will actually seek you out for your specialty than that is a horse of a different color.

There are also a myriad of other factors and most have been discussed on this site.  Just do a market analysis of Middletown and tell me if you would open a business here at this time downtown.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2009 at 11:42am
Mr.Haller--I disagree with the "looking good" assessment.
I dropped off a vehicle for maintenence this morning, and walked down Main to Central, and up Central to Stefano's taking in everything and actually looking inside of every business/stoefront that I passed.

I didn't see much that looked good or encouraging.
The windows are stll broken at the Sebald building(I counted 18 broken--9 double-paned).
The Olde Towne pharmacy/lunch counter is closed and even the new letters on the external sign have fallen off. As always Beau Verre and 56 Degrees looked outstanding. Thank goodness for those two entities.
Maybe ten(or less) "businesses" that I would view as having any stay-power or even being legitimate. Too many junk shops and opportunities to quickly unload hot merchandise. Many filthy interiors(including current businesses).

I walked by two individuals scouring the sidewalks and gutters for still smokable cig butts(watched them pick them up and light them!). Even the bar elements are phasing out and gone.

Face the reality--there ain't anything down there.
I simply get tired of people who don't live here or don't frequent the area telling me how "good" it all looks and how things are improving in the area formerly known as downtown.
SarahA View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2009 at 12:22pm
Beau Verre/Riordan does look like an interesting place!  Lots of beautiful stuff!
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 1:17am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Mr.Haller--I disagree with the "looking good" assessment.
I dropped off a vehicle for maintenence this morning, and walked down Main to Central, and up Central to Stefano's taking in everything and actually looking inside of every business/stoefront that I passed.

I didn't see much that looked good or encouraging.

The windows are stll broken at the Sebald building(I counted 18 broken--9 double-paned).

The Olde Towne pharmacy/lunch counter is closed and even the new letters on the external sign have fallen off. As always Beau Verre and 56 Degrees looked outstanding. Thank goodness for those two entities.

Maybe ten(or less) "businesses" that I would view as having any stay-power or even being legitimate. Too many junk shops and opportunities to quickly unload hot merchandise. Many filthy interiors(including current businesses).

I walked by two individuals scouring the sidewalks and gutters for still smokable cig butts(watched them pick them up and light them!). Even the bar elements are phasing out and gone.

Face the reality--there ain't anything down there.

I simply get tired of people who don't live here or don't frequent the area telling me how "good" it all looks and how things are improving in the area formerly known as downtown.

#1 - 5/3rd bank - visit frequently - personal & business (I Love these people)
#2 - Hair Salon - name escapes me this late at nite!!!!!
#3 - Digital Visuals - hard to find but busy at this moment - www.dvisuals.com
#4 - Tobacco Connection - always busy - keeps place clean
#5 - Tax place - corner of Central & Verity - "CITY SHOULD CHECK FOR WINDOW SIGNAGE VIOLATION".
#6 - Ritchie's Pawn Shop - How long has he been there? Long time, should be recognized w/MJournal.
#7 - Bark Avenue - last I heard - business for sale
#8 - Better Built Construction
#9 - Pro-Gym
#10 - Innovative Fiber Options - we have internet thru them.
#11 - 1 Stop Shipping Shop - Always busy - love Carla - great location for us- GOOD PEOPLE!
#11 - First & Central - law offices - both sides of the street.
#12 - Beau Verre - Riordan Studios
#13 - 56 Degrees - WHEN IS LUNCH? WE'VE BEEN PROMISED!
#14 - Unemployment office
#15 - Church on Fire
#16 - Pharmacy corner of Broad & Central - selling from the back - medical equipment only.
#17 - Broad Street - Studio guy who bought Dohn's hardware - nice guy, name escapes me.
#18 - Rumsford Productions
#19 - Adrienne Scherrer - Incubator
#20 - Flor-Decor - nice guy
#21 - Art Central Foundation
#22 - TV MIDDLETOWN
#23 - Middletown Miami University
#23 - YMCA - Great People! Terri is a great guy.
#24 - Flowers By Roger - MJournal should do an article. Business since 1977? Madison Township Graduate, maybe that's it!!! Did my wedding in 1977. Roger graduated from Madison/Butler Tech. He still does his own flower arrangements by hand!!!!
#25 - Manchester Inn
#25 - Linden's??? across from the Y. My teenager loves the 20" rims.   We have had oil changes done there, close, walking distance. Reasonable priced, compared to other around town.
#26 - WE Michaels - batting cages.
#27 - UDF - If you want milkshake quick, go someplace else. There is always a waiting line.
#28 - Red Cross
#29 - Sonshine Products

IF I OFFEND ANYONE ELSE IT'S BECAUSE IT'S LATE. AND I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF A 2 BLOCK AREA AT THIS TIME. MAYBE NOT EVEN THAT. I know I crossed the street on a few I listed. Figure it out yourself.

The Journal put an Editorial in the paper today about the downtown. Evidently they don't know what's happening in their downtown Middletown area, just one block from their Middletown Office. Windows were replaced and then broken after, like 2-3 weeks ago!????? Check police report please. Investigate.

This is just a 2 block area. I know I have missed a few businesses but I really didn't plan on inventory of the downtown this late at night.

I don't think spyder did a very good job. That's okay. I didn't mention Family Services either.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 9:48am

As I mentioned, I walked from the post office down Main St. to Central and up.

If you only count private for profit business entities, it would cut your list in half.

Govt./support offices don't seem to be contributing to job/business growth in the area, and the residuals from thos entities probably discourage more upscale legit businesses than they bring in.

And in no way does the Central Ave.area look good.

Unlike yourself, I go up all the way to University Blvd.(which I still consider part of the area--the city and obviously yourself conveniently ignore that area).

Credit to those making it work down there, because they are doing it the hard way.

Hey Mr.B--your business left the area because you couldn't make it work down there.
Why? And why not move back now?
Your current area is a mess and has regressed over the last two years.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2009 at 10:47am
Maybe Jonathan should have said, "Downtown is looking better than before."

Amazing list of things needing addressing.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic