FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

downtown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
young not dumb View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young not dumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: downtown
    Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 4:54pm
As a small bussiness owner in Middletown, i am dissappointed in our councils willingness to help create a better image for downtown. I started sponsoring a watermelon seed spittin' contest 5 years ago, the first year of "music on main". I spent 400 dollars on shirts for the winners, and raised xxxx amount of dollars for the selected charity that year. We had a great time. The childern loved the contest, and the adults enjoyed it even more. I  made 20 dollars that day selling cold slice's of watermlon and cantaloupe. Making money wasn't the issue. It was doing my part to help rebuild downtown and attracting people there. I continued to hold the contest till this year. By participating in it, I was luckie enough to meet some of the "fantastic" people you are referring too. A lady from city asked me if I would be interested in starting a farmers-market downtown. I was honored to do my part. The first two years were a sucess. Every Friday a couple hundred people crowded the corner of broad st and central. Without playing the blame game, the third year was a disaster. The lady who contacted vendors and schedule music dropped her postion with us. She is good at starting something then passing the buck to under qualified people. I have seen her do this with several events. The fourth year was the worst and final year for me. The city said it was a safety hazard for people to be on the side walk! Do they really think we are that dumb, that are citizens are not responsible enough to walk on the side walk! We were instructed to move our booths to grass. Out of sight from the street, and out of sight from potential customers. I raised my concerns with the city, and did not get an intial respones from the "queen" like i was told i would. So, the next week i set up, and the police was called out to inform me that i was asked several times not to set up there. I was not told to not set up, I was not even important enough to contact! Frustrated, the police left issueing no citations. They did give me they ladies name that called them, you know she was sitting across the stret and was unable to come talk to me. In fact the police tried to contact her so she could come down and show what the problem was, no contact was ever made.  After all is said and done, the city has lost another good citizens who was once willing to help out. Our company has donated to the hope house, needy families, locked out workers, and workers on strike. Will continuse to help our community, but will no longer be part of the good ole boys club at one donham plaza. Good luck to all of you trying to make a difference in our beloved city.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 5:10pm
That's the Middletown I may very well be leaving soon!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 9:42am
OK young not dumb- here's how it should have happened for you. Mr. Young not dumb, we here in the city of Middletown are delighted to have you and others come up with ideas and execute them, with the end result being that people are attracted to the downtown area and that you are successful. We are encouraging anyone to present their ideas to us, the city leaders, with the hope that you will be prosperous and help us build an active downtown once again. Is there anything the city can do to help you succeed in building your business? We have removed all of the barriers that were once in place such as no yellow sign displays, no banners and other restrictions that prevented businesses from succeeding. We are also offering a lower tax rate for startup businesses as we realize that new businesses require initial large investments and we want to keep the money in your pocket for startup expenses. Please come to the city building before you start so that we can give you a start up package that includes your low cost startup vendors license and advertising help as well as helping you to set up at a location that will help you be as prosperous as you can be. We want to encourage business growth and will reduce startup costs where we can do so. If it is a lease you want, we will help you get started with a low rent- high visibility location. Hopefully, as your business grows, we can help you improve on your business venture. Please do not hestitate to contact us as we want to support you because if you succeed, the city benefits in many ways. Unfortunately, the morons running the business development area for the city are the exact opposite. That's why we need to gut the city building ASAP. They are a cancer to this city.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young not dumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 3:26pm
Once bitten twice shy vietvet. The city assured me in my first venture with them that they would help where ever they could. I recieved more harrassment and bulling than any thing, although they did put it on the sign at the old swollens building for me. Wish I could have made the agreement with people like you, I am sure I would have recieved the help I needed. We bought a bussiness that has been here for fifty years. Now Score car lot moved to the east end and closed, Davey's carry-out closed, action corner closed, IGA closed, I now lay in a desolate area of town with many others. With the failing economy and the insight I have of how this city works, just couldn't imagine that being a good business venture. In fact, with the way the city treated me, I would perfer to go to a growing community like monroe, franklin, springboro, who might apprieciate my efforts. Its sad to say, but a small business like mine has no chance surviving in a area that is mainly visited by the homeless, prostiutes, and drug addicted. Thats not the service I provide. Oh, how I would love to be part of the rebuilding of my home town, but untill the mess is cleaned up within the city building, I could not see doing anything for them. They made it clear that my service was not really valued, and if i didn't continue doing the farmers-market, it would be no loss to them. The farmers-market still goes on even with out me. There is one vendor selling flowers!! If anyone is  interested in helping them out, I am sure they would greatly appriciate it. Like i said early, the buck got passed to an under qualified person. Thanks for the insight on the new city regulations, and maybe in the future we can work together. By the way, its Ms. young not dumb.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 5:42pm
Young Not Dumb what service do you offer?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 6:14pm
Ms. young not dumb- I apologize for the gender mistake. You are demonstrating the same frustration with this group of uncooperative city leaders that we have had, what seems, forever. If we had a good group of candidates run that represented most of the people such as ones on this forum, AND we managed to get some of the angry citizens of this city to register and vote for them, we could overcome the money, networks and the "good old boy club" votes that keep putting these losers in office. If we could just get a majority on Council and the School Board, we could begin, through forced resignations, to cut out the deadwood problem people on these boards and at the city building. We could also begin to break down the dominance of the few, more powerful people in this town by making them insignificant as to their influence in managing the direction the town is going, changing that direction 180 degrees. The power of a good group of candidates coupled with the power of the angry people at the polls is a good start. Now- how to get those angry people up off the couch to register and go vote???? That's the first hurdle along with decent candidates running. As to your business situation- you wouldn't be feeling abandoned with some of us at the helm. PERHAPS (speculating here) if people from this forum like Mike P/Pacman/Vivian Moon/Spiderjohn/ Hermes/ Impala SS and others were in charge, you would have had people in city government to turn to because the current crew would have been headed to their next job- out of town. The current "business unfriendly" attitude would not exist anymore.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2009 at 7:57pm
youngnotdumb.....
You have 2 thriving auto shops, J&E Root Beer, a drive thru, Blair Heating, Sunoco, lots of traffic on your road. Also the new car place who's doing car shows, etc. Do you have a sign for your business? Your "place" has been there for a very long time. I too am sorry you were discouraged from downtown. If the "lady" you are referring to in your initial post is who I think it is, she is no longer involved with the MSMF. The flower lady is not the only one who sets up on friday. I love the BBQ pork rinds. They are usually done by 3:00. I see lots of people there to buy. I buy also. And we also bought from you when you were set up. My husband used to talk to you guys on fridays. We had no idea you were treated that way.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2009 at 9:47am
ok mad mom--I now know your identity also.
Good luck in your new location, and I consider your business as a vital cornerstone in any possible rebirth of the surroundinnng area.

From what I have seen, you do excellent work.
Hopefully you will trust and understand the majority of those posting here better, and your organization will join the revolution. Ya might as well come over to the winning side, and strengthen the movement now.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

ok mad mom--I now know your identity also.
Good luck in your new location, and I consider your business as a vital cornerstone in any possible rebirth of the surroundinnng area.

From what I have seen, you do excellent work.

Hopefully you will trust and understand the majority of those posting here better, and your organization will join the revolution. Ya might as well come over to the winning side, and strengthen the movement now.

Well, I will take everyone's comments into consideration when dealing with the city, when dealing with our new building. So I will keep my comments to the bare minimum at this time.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young not dumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2009 at 2:50pm
madmom-I have yet to see a customer pull into blair, they are a service call. I have yet to have one worker from there race across route 4 for a cantaloupe, like many of the score workers did. Not yet has one person come in to look around while their car was getting repaired, like they did when score was there. I lost the car repair shop next door to me last year, all their waiting customers are gone. As far as two booming car lots, I am still looking around to find them. I have seen the car shows, haven't yet to see a very large crowd, maybe with time people will find out it is going on and show up. I wish them the best of luck.  The root-beer stand changed hands several years ago, and business for them is not the same. 9 years ago, I could tell when the light was red. Cars backed up past my stand. This year, I have no idea if the light is red. Traffic is a lot slower.
As for what service I provide, I provide fresh quality produce at a good cost. That is my expertise. The city asked me to set-up, I had no idea they were going to leave me there to fend for my self. My expertise is not recruiting vendors, schelduling music, or contacting people to accomplish this. I am young, and do not know enough people in the city to even accomplish this. I did all I could though. I employed 3-4 people to help with the market. I spent countless money paying to advertise the farmers-market in the mj. I told all my customers, passed out fliers door to door downtown, demostrated how to make a watermelon friut basket on channel 19 news and they posted a mapped of downtown middletown where the farmers-market is. (intstead of advertising for my store) I asked the city for help, and got the police called on me!! LOL!! I am frustrated and at my witts end on how to continue to be active in my community. I will be at the polls to cast my vote.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2009 at 5:19pm
I didn't say car LOTS, I said auto SHOPS. Madison Auto and Wise Auto. Plus the Poasttown Drive Thru.

I am a little confused on your original post. Were you ask to schedule music on fridays during Farmer's Market? Didn't they move you to the parking lot by the bus station one year? Along with other vendors?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by MadisonMom MadisonMom wrote:

youngnotdumb..... 
If the "lady" you are referring to in your initial post is who I think it is, she is no longer involved with the MSMF.
MadMom:  What is "MSMF"???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote young not dumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2009 at 3:39pm

The first year we set up in the bus sop alone. ( to see how the public reacted). We lost a bit of money that year, but thought being at governers square the next year would be better. The organizer got other vendors, and schedule acts for the second year. It was great. The third year the organizer stopped her position. Some one had to try to recruit vendors, and acts to make it bountiful. Since i had already put so much time, effort, and money into it, I could not just walk away. That was the part the city had assured me help with.  Had no clue she would drop out and just leave us.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2009 at 5:10pm
MSMF...Main Street Arts & Music Festival (annual) now hosted by Art Central Foundation.

I don't think that is what youngnotdumb is referring to. Doesn't sound right.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic