FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Have Questions For Candidates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Have Questions For Candidates
    Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 9:44am
I am working on setting up interviews with three candidates for city council  (waiting to see if they agree to do it) and in the mean time I want to give some of our more devoted posters a chance to ask a few questions. So if you are interested and have a legitimate question post it here and I will do my best to ask and get an answer.  The Council Members will be from the Second Ward.

Again these questions are for the second ward and please lets try to play nice Wink

So Ask away My MUSA Faithful !!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:02am

Question Re-thinking I missed the part about only being the second ward.

Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:11am
Randy>   Would you please ask Miss Ford just what good has she done for the second ward so far? I can not think of one thing, hell you cant even get a return call from her, she never has anything to say at council meetings.No vote from here.
zduncan View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:12am
Pacman, do you really think the candidates from ward 2 will have the answers to your question? Because I don't think they will. 
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:16am
Good Morning Pacman -

I recall the City Manager noting several times that the HUD Cleveland Field Office will not allow a gradual reduction (or any reduction) in the 1662 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers currently allocated to the City of Middletown.

To verify this, we should revisit her weekly reports to the City Council, statements made by her at City Council meetings and news articles where she is quoted in the Middletown Journal.

Maybe the above concern should be raised directly to Mike LaRiccia or Nancy Petrunak with the HUD Cleveland Field Office by interested citizens of Middletown?

Smokey
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:22am
1. What is your plan to replace the businesses that the town has lost?
2. What is your plan to build revenue for the city instead of relying on citizens taxes to provide the city funding?
3. How do you feel about the way the city/schools are being run and what would you change if you were on Council/School Board?
4. What would be your priorities for the city/ schools if you were elected?
5. What is your plan for stumulating job growth in town and what types of jobs do you think are needed here?
6. What is your plan as far as getting the streets paved and the infrastructure repaired?
7. How do you feel about the city theme of excessive Section 8 housing in this town as opposed to the surrounding towns? What would you try to do about it- request more or eliminate most?
8. Are you for trimming the deadwood from city government and consolidating some of the job duties for the upper management?
9. What's your opinion on the city manager's job performance?
10. How would you begin to repair the relationships with surrounding communities?
11. How do we make this town more "business friendly"?
12. How would you grow this town if it were your decision alone?
13. What would you do with the downtown?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:31am
QUESTIONS FOR CITY COUNCIL - WARD 2 CANDIDATES LESLIE FORD, A.J. SMITH & JOHN SOPPANISH

1)  Of the $100,000 in HUD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Funds allocated for residential property demolition for the 5/1/2009 - 4/30/2010 Program Year, how many houses are targeted?  Of these, how many are situated in Ward 2 and what are the property addresses?

2)  Of the $2.144 million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP - Round One) funding received by the City of Middletown, how many houses are targeted for demolition?  Of these, how many are situated in Ward 2 and what are the property addresses?

3)  Of the $400,000 plus in HUD Home Investments Partnerships (HOME) Program funds received by the City of Middletown for Down Payment/Closing Cost Assistance over the past two years, how many Ward 2 purchasers were aided out of the 75+ households?  What are the property addresses of these Ward 2 first-time buyers?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Impala SS Impala SS wrote:

Randy>   Would you please ask Miss Ford just what good has she done for the second ward so far? I can not think of one thing, hell you cant even get a return call from her, she never has anything to say at council meetings.No vote from here.

I would love to ask that ? But .....I think you know I can not. I do understand your frustrations though   
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:39am
City Council Meeting 3-17-09

"The City did have a conversation with HUD about transferring some vouchers

to another agency and the City will have to work hand in hand with HUD

throughout this process."

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:39am
Smokey- Leslie Ford is the incumbant and should know the answers. IF she knows - IF- think she will divulge the answers and "upset the old apple cart"? Will Gilleland be pleased if she does? Don't know if Soppanish or Smith would know as this is "insider info" isn't it? Not sure.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 10:54am
Good Morning Viet Vet -

As we both know, there's a growing number of residential properties in various older sections of the City of Middletown that are beyond the economic feasibility of rehabilitation.

My concern is this, if the City goes ahead and demolishes many of the above-captioned homes, where's the deep pockets to fund new infill housing on these vacant lots.  Given the cost of new construction and the prevailing market values of these pockets of likely demolition activities, a good deal of public subsidy will be required.

Doug Adkins is talking about long-term "land banking" for these vacant lots resulting from HUD-funded demolition.  What's the likelihood that property values will increase markedly over the next decade to spur developers and home builders to construct new residences in these areas?

Smokey

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 11:01am
Dear Pacman -

I share your concerns that the City of Middletown has a disproportionate number of subsidized housing units for a community with 50,000+ residents.

Regarding HUD, we need to be certain regarding HUD's position relative to any reduction of Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher units.  If the administration of these units is administered by CONSOC or the Butler Metro Housing Authority, will HUD permit a reduction?

This is what we need to determine.

Thanks for your ongoing participation.  You have enlightened many of us.

Smokey
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 11:54am
Smokey- likelihood of property values increasing and enticing home builders to the older areas?- Little to none. This land will still be vacant 30 years from now in those areas of town. I doubt that you could build on a vacant lot in a more "prominent" part of town with the economy as it is now AND with the reputation this city has for being run like a welfare camp. At this time, there is absolutely no positives that would attract one to buy, much less build in this town- ( thank you for that Judith/ Council/ School Board and other city leaders!) Thought the city was going to get out of the real estate business???? Sounds like Douggie Adkins wants to ramp it up rather than to reduce it. Why does the city want all of this unwanted, undesirable property? For any small benefit the property would provide to the city, it just ain't worth it. Why bother?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 12:50pm
TWO MORE QUESTIONS FOR CITY COUNCIL - WARD 2 CANDIDATES:  LESLIE FORD, A.J. SMITH & JOHN SOPPANISH

1)  Of the $2.144 million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP - Round One) funding received by the City of Middletown, how many of the 20 vacant, foreclosed houses that are targeted for acquisition/rehbilitation/resale are situated in Ward 2 and what are the property addresses?

3)  Of the $8-10 million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP - Round Two) funding that the City of Middletown will apply for on July 17th, how many more vacant, foreclosed houses are there that will be targeted for acquisition/rehbilitation/resale?  Of this amount, how many are situated in Ward 2 and what are the property addresses?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 1:32pm
Smokey it would be easier to just draw a north-south line up and down HighView and secede everything west of HighView to a new City and Government.  Then the City can continue to play with our taxes in the form of HUD FUNDS in their Section 8, Public Housing, HUD Programs game with everything east of HighView.   Middletown as it is today is going to do nothing well into the forseeable future but play with HUD Funds as they have no way to generate revenues to do anything else.  So it will continue to be Section 8, HUD Programs, protect the Castle downtown rally the Unions and employees to protect their salaries and benefits and nothing for the people who actually are footing the bills.Thumbs%20Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 3:15pm
Pacman -

One again you hit the nail squarely on the head.

If only the clock could be turned back even 10 years.  How different a place Middletown would be without excessive numbers of subsidized housing units, lost economic development opportunities, etc., etc.!

When I started my former position with the City in January 2007, I was presented with one problem after another.  Poor planning, wasteful expenditures, lack of program oversite was the rule.

I involved both the private sector and neighborhood residents in an attempt to begin cleaning up the mess.  I rankled the top dog and their entourage by being inclusive rather than exclusive as the elitists bureaucrats like things.

All of the above moved me slowly but surely to the unemployment line.  Even though the Middletown Journal has not followed through on its' promises to me, the truth will eventually see the light of day.  Count on it!

NRS
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 8:07pm
well--y'all have your chance tomorrow night at the Conversation with Council at the Manchester Hotel.
There will probably be an hour presentation from the Charter Review Committee on the propsed amendments yet to be approved by Council. Those amendments that pass the test will be on the November ballot.

Citizens' comments/?s about these amendments will be heard afterwards. If you have other topics to discuss, you should bring them forward, and not be intimidated by those in charge.

This session has allegedly been taken over by a renegade group, by-passing the acting Charter Review Committee chairperson.

It's your meeting, your Council, your Charter and your city.
The meeting is being held in a building which has borrowed funds from the city(your money!), so you should be welcome as long as you are respectful(but firm and determined).

The time to take over is NOW(well--maybe tomorrow night!)
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 8:42pm
Does anyone know if the city was able to arrange for enough water to be available tomorrow night at the Manchester, or will we have to bring our own if we did not RSVP???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2009 at 4:58am
Randy:
Here is my first SECOND Ward question:  There are streets in the Second Ward that are among the worst in the city, yet NOT ONE council member questioned a recent plan to use CDBG money to pave an alley and a bike path while allowing our city streets to deteriorate.  What would you, as a Second Ward Councilperson do to stop such madness???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2009 at 7:04am
Spider there is no organization of those that would like change for the City.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic