FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions And Answers With Robert Thoroughman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions And Answers With Robert Thoroughman
    Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 9:43am
Tell us a little about yourself and what qualifies you to represent your ward?

I am 31 years old with a 2 year old son and a child on the way. I moved to MIddletown in 1993 with my mom and sis. As a young person we went through hardships and homelessness. I made up my mind to change my future. I went on to college and met my wife of nine years there also.My family and I moved to Minnesota from 2004 to 2008 to open a church. After our time there we desired to move back to Middletown to raise our kids.  I have one living son and a daughter who was still born. I am expecting another child in Jan 2010.

I am a non paid pastor and a Director of a AGA, Inc. I serve as a youth leader with Butler County JRC.I have worked as a Reserve Deputy in Minnesota. My wife and I served with Big Brothers, Big Sisters. I also worked as a licensed Sex offender youth counselor in Minnesota. I feel that my life and experience has proved to help me better understand people and the troubles this life can bring.

We must rise above the ashes and overcome the obsticles of life.I have served my community in many aspects, in an effort to improve life for all. When elected I intend to donate part of my Council income to the Wic program of Butler and Warren county. I feel that leaders should put words to action and give back to the communities they serve. Let the leaders rise up  and lead.

To see the full interview given to MiddletownUSA click here Questions And Answers With Robert Thoroughman
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 12:36pm
Am I missing the ward that this gentleman is running in??
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 2000+ 2000+ wrote:

Am I missing the ward that this gentleman is running in??
Sorry for the confussion. He is running in the fouth ward.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by thoroughman thoroughman wrote:

I personally am not yet aware of the plans and details in the building of such a place in the city. I know there has been talk from time to time. I would have to look over all aspects and details of such a choice.
Well, race tracks with pari-mutual wagering are perfectly legal businesses in the state of Ohio, and seven are in operation right now.  Several days ago, the Governor submitted and the state legislature approved a budget that included provisions for slot machines at at the seven race tracks, with the slots to be supervised by the State Lottery Commission.  The holders of the Lebanon Raceway racing licenses desire to relocate the track/slot emporium to a site to be determined near I-75 in either Butler or Warren County near an I-75 interchange.  Talk on the street is that a group have put together a land package "east of I-75 and south of SR 122, at least partially within Middletown.  (I believe that other groups have put together other packages all up and down I-75.)  It would mean about 300 high-paying construction jobs during construction, and probably at least 200 once operations begin. 

It's a LEGAL business closely supervised by the State of Ohio.  The owners have been operating the track for over 60 years without a problem.  Middletown is desperate for jobs and income tax.  WHAT MORE COULD YOU POSSIBLY NEED TO KNOW??? 

I personally am not 100% sure that such business really helps communities? I would look at overall impact on entire city. I am also very open to hearing feedback as to why or why not have such a place.
See above!!!

I have heard that River Downs just a little south is having problems with business.   As a personal preference I do not visit those types of businesses. However, I desire to do what is best for our city as a whole.
I don't understand this comment.  First, we are not discussing River Downs.  Second, and more importantly, it is NOT the job of the city council or any individual couincil member (or ANY city employee--NOT EVEN MR. KOHLER) to decide whether or not a business is viable.  If you don't feel it is a good investment, don't invest in it.  But think about the un-TOLLED [NOT a typo, I mean to say "I DARE them to ADD IT ALL UP in 2009 dollars] millions of taxpayers' dollars that city council has gambled on the same old RISKY SCHEME in our former downtown.  Talk about "having problems with business"!!!

PLease understand I would need to know all details before I could really decide on that. Just based on what little amount I know about it right now. I would need to say no, but am open to hearing more about it.
So, does this mean that you will be saying "NO" to ALL new LEGAL business ventures by reputable, experienced business people that would bring hundreds of jobs to Middletown, until you know "ALL the DETAILS??? 

Is THAT what you are saying???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic