Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, April 24, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - John Boehner: OIG Audit of Area Section 8 Programs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Boehner: OIG Audit of Area Section 8 Programs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Boehner: OIG Audit of Area Section 8 Programs
    Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 12:31pm

Subj: FW: The Lake Metropolitan Housing Authority, Painesville, Ohio, Needs to Improve Its Controls over Housing Assistance and Utility Allowance Payments for Section 8 Vouchers (OIG Audit Report #2009-CH-1012, Issued August 14, 2009) 
Date: 8/18/2009 8:33:07 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: IGREPORT-L@HUDLIST.HUD.GOV
Sent from the Internet (Details)
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Office of Inspector General audited the Lake Metropolitan Housing Authority’s (Painesville, OH) Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program (program). The Authority was selected for audit based upon a congressional request from the Honorable Steven C. LaTourette. Our objective was to determine whether the Authority administered its program in accordance with HUD’s requirements and its program administrative plan to include determining whether the Authority accurately calculated housing assistance and utility allowance payments and maintained required documentation to support household eligibility. This is the first of three planned audit reports regarding the Authority’s program.

The Authority’s program administration regarding housing assistance payment calculations and documentation to support households’ eligibility for housing assistance was inadequate.more than $801,000 in housing assistance and utility allowance payments. The Authority also incorrectly calculated or issued households’ payments for 86 of the 100 household files, resulting in more than $30,000 in overpayments and more than $4,200 in underpayments for January 2007 through July 2008. Further, the Authority improperly received more than $40,000 in program administrative fees for the households with incorrect and unsupported housing assistance payments. Based on our statistical sample, we estimate that over the next year, the Authority will overpay nearly $255,000 in housing assistance and utility allowances.

We recommend that the Director of HUD’s Cleveland Office of Public Housing require the Authority to provide documentation or reimburse its program more than $836,000 from nonfederal funds for the unsupported payments cited in this audit report, reimburse its program from nonfederal funds for the improper use of more than $71,000 in program funds, and implement adequate procedures and controls to address the finding cited in this audit report to prevent more than $259,000 in program funds from being spent on excessive housing assistance and utility allowance payments.

This electronic audit report has been posted to our website and may be viewed directly via this link.

http://www.hud.gov/utilities/intercept.cfm?/offices/oig/reports/files/ig0951012.pdf

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 6:40am
How could we get the Middletown HUD-Section 8- welfare program audited like was done in Painesville? Who would initate this "Congressional Request" mentioned in this story? Just a phone call away or would there be mountains of government paperwork involved? Be nice to get rid of most of it.(and the city people who are responsible for it also)
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 7:12am
Good Morning Viet Vet -

Saying that to you reminds me of Robin Williams and his portrayal of Adrian Kronauer from the movie 'Good Morning Vietnam.'

I have sent volumes of information to the HUD Office of the Inspector General in Washington, D.C. on the CDBG and HOME Programs here.  I cannot say too much now as per my attorney.

I hope and pray that your loved one is doing better these days.

With no reference to any Cincinnati radio personality, YOU ARE A GREAT AMERICAN! ClapClap

Citizens Unite!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 7:28am
By the way, guess which City Council member encouraged me to sue the City of Middletown for all that it's worth in the Fall of 2008??  I told this elected official that I only wanted to be restored to the full responsibilities of my job prior to the departmental reorganization of the City Manager in the Summer of 2008??  They recently called me and said that the Law Department had directed elected officials and city staff NOT TO COMMUNICATE WITH ME because of the possibility of litigation.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 7:30am
Awe gee, Nelson- not Bill Cunningham! Please don't mention his name this early in the morning! Can't stand the man!   

Thanks for the concern for the better half.

Need to bring Middletown's HUD-Section 8 program to the spotlight some way. I'd like to "see 'em sweat" a little on this.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 7:31am
Go get 'em, Nelson!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic