FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filing Deadline Is Today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filing Deadline Is Today
    Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 9:18am
Today is the filing deadline for those candidates running for city council. Thus far, for the first ward only Jim Armbruster has filed, but Gary Lee Barge told MiddletownUSA.com late last night that he plans to file this morning.

For the complete story click here August 20, 2009 Deadline To File For City Council
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 9:22am
Gotta have you there for us Gary. Can't see Armbruster in that seat one more term. He is dead weight to this town in a Council capacity. We need new progressive activity, not more of the same.
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 10:45am
The election of Gary Barge is essential if the average citizen is again to have any say in what goes on in our community.  GO GARY GO ......... MIDDLETOWN NEEDS YOU BADLY!

Citizens Unite!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 10:58am
Good luck Gary, we are pulling for you.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 11:17am
Gary Lee Barge and Andrew Smith have officially filled their petitions 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 2:24pm
Good news. Now, go get 'em Gary and AJ!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 3:16pm
I have just heard that Leslie Ford's petition is not valid?
Does anyone has more information?
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 3:20pm
An interesting development for the racially and economically diverse registered voters of Ward 2.  Now, go get 'em Gary, Paul and John Soppanish!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 3:26pm
By Ed Richter, Staff Writer Updated 2:27 PM Thursday, August 20, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — A lack of valid signatures from voters has derailed an incumbent councilwoman’s bid for re-election.

According to the Butler County Board of Elections, 2nd Ward Councilwoman Leslie Ford did not have enough valid signatures from residents that matched voter registration cards when she filed her petitions.

The deadline to file petitions with the board of elections is 4 p.m. today.

That means the race for the 2nd Ward seat on council will come down to A.J. Smith, of 16th Avenue, who filed his petitions today, and John Soppanish, of Lafayette Avenue.

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 8:21pm
Go John, I hope you win. The only thing AJ has going for him is that he was Obama's copy boy. He does not and cannot hold down a job, he has refused to go to college because he thinjs he know all. The road was paved for him and he chose another direction. While I applaude his attitude and want to be involve, this community does not need a 20 year old in charge.

AJ, go to college and get your degree, come back and then be somebody. Right now you are just Steve Hightowers mouthpiece! Good to school!
mtownsupporter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownsupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 3:26pm
For someone named "Smartman", you aren't coming across that way.  I know that you do know AJ, but your attitude towards only shows that you have a personal grudge against him that I can guess has nothing to do with politics or his ability to be a leader in this city.  He's made decisions that have sent him in non-traditional directions, but look at what he has done in the short time since high school.  Talk to him TODAY and see who he is and what he will be able to do for Middletown.  AJ doesn't have to "come back and then be somebody" -- he IS somebody right now.  As for your comments about his role in the Obama campaign and his affiliation with Steve Hightower ... that only shows that perhaps you are the one who should be doing some growing up.  Clearly, age doesn't matter when it comes to maturity.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 3:34pm
I doubt AJ has the experience to be an effective council person at this time, could be wrong, but just my feeling.  Maybe down the road.
mtownsupporter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownsupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 4:03pm
What AJ brings is the willingness to discuss issues, work with people he may not always agree with, and bring out ideas that folks with more "experience" might dismiss because they fall into the "that's been done and didn't work" rut.  Since the council is made up of more than one person, the combination of the different experiences and perspectives are what will make the council effective or not.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 4:46pm
wow Smartman
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:40pm
Spider I hear what you say, and maybe I might be a little hard. I applaude his energy and willingness to serve. He just needs to understand that he needs experience. You would not hire him as a manager and neither would I, and we are just business folks. At 20 years old he needs to be living life to its fullest and enjoying all that college life brings. Get experience and credibility in the business world, then come back to M-Town and discuss budget issues. jmo
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 7:04am
Spiderjohn
I need to agree with you again. We need all these diverse people to run for office to make sure that THE PEOPLE have a choice of who serves on their City Council. It is up to the people to support those that they want to serve as their Council Person from each ward.
SAVE THE WARD SYSTEM
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 9:56am
I talked to AJ several years ago at the Sorg Opera House after a community open forum with the candidates. He held a very informative, knowledgeable, intelligent conversation about the city's issues at that time. He listened intently as I told him about this town's past prosperity and followed with the decline of Armco, the paper mills and the general "flavor" the town use to offer. We discussed some town priorities and had a great exchange of ideas. I would imagine, that since those times, and his newly found experience on the Obama national front, he would be prepared to tackle the local scene. IMO, he appears to be ready for prime time. Let's give him a chance. All one has to do is realize what we have now and ask ourselves- could we do too much worse? Hey- like we have been saying, try new people/ideas/direction then purge if not the correct fit.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

wow Smartman---that is very strong & confrontational language to use against someone.  And on a national forum heavily viewed by locals during a time of emotional issues..
Maybe you should think about what you just typed, and remember how you wouldn't like that type of terminology thrown at you.

I know Mr.Smith, and find him to be a quality person.
I also view you as a quality person, despite our past difficulties.

We don't need any more devisive derogatory nonsense.
We need  an acceptance of each and every point of view, with the finality coming on election day.

Now Mr.Michel is a target for sniping and insults.
Despite HUGE philosophical differences currently, I like Mr.Michel very much as a person.
We can honestly discuss these issues that are polarizing our community, totally disagree while putting new concepts into each other, and walk away still friends.
Unfortunately that is a foreign concept locally.

I agree, "Smart" is not the first thing that comes to mind when I read a post like his.

No doubt AJ has learned more in the past year then he would have sitting in a class room.  Not to mention all the real world experience he's gained!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic