FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ward question won't be on ballot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
All American View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ward question won't be on ballot
    Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 4:13pm

Ward question won't be on ballot

There were too few signatures to place charter amendment regarding City Council size, ward election system.

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer Updated 3:46 PM Tuesday, August 25, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — Middletown voters won’t have to worry about making a decision about the ward system or reducing the size of City Council this fall because the petition did not have enough valid signatures.

The petition that was submitted by the city of Middletown that was presented by a group of citizens seeking to reduce the size of council and elect its members at-large rather than wards did not get certified by the Butler County Board of Elections when it met Tuesday, Aug. 25.

According to elections director Betty McGary, the petition was 119 valid signatures short of the 1,137 signatures that were required.

The petition for a candidate for the 4th Ward council seat, Robert Thoroughman, was also not certified by the elections board. According to McGary, he also had insufficient signatures with only 20 signatures valid of the 50 that were required.

Thoroughman will not be able to run as a write-in candidate this fall as he did not withdraw from the race before the elections board met to certify candidate petitions.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 4:39pm

We needed to keep the Ward System so all the voters of Middletown have an equal voice. This is good news for the citizens of Middletown.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 5:05pm
Better get 2000 signatures next time to be on the safe side.Thumbs%20Up
Kelly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 5:59pm

Congratulations Ann Mort & Jeff Michel on another successful campaign!

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 6:35pm
Actually it doesn't make much sense to maintain a ward system. With the system only one council member is held responsible for his/her ward then all the other members escape wrath,without the system ALL council members can be held responsible and ALL the people will have a voice if they happen to elect a silent member.

I live in ward one and there has been absolutely nothing done whatsoever and I've only one member to hold responsible. If there was no ward then I could hold all of them responsible.

Am I crazy or is there any logic to that ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 6:43pm
I think it's great news. It's hard to beleave that Mr. Michel, Ms. Mort and Mr. Scorti did not simply purchase from the Butler County Board of Elections the list of registered voters for the City of Middletown. They could have gone home every night, checked the signatures against the valid list and headed out the following day to get the additional number of  VALID signatures needed. This style of arrogrance is an example of what an all at-large type of representation would have brought us all.  Congradulations to all the 4-ward supporters and make sure you get out there and vote for your candidate.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 6:49am
Hermes- It won't happen now as the required number of signatures were not achieved, however, knowing how the folks in Ward 2 are passionate and interact with their ward rep more than the other wards do, it would have been an interesting scenario to see mostly Ward 1 or 3 residents dominate Council and then see how much attention they would have paid to Ward 2 and 4. Bet the Ward 2 and 4 folks would not have been happy campers with the lack of attention given to them by the Ward 1/3 people.

Glad to see the number reduction of Council shot down also. Fewer numbers would have made control easier for the MMF and their sponsored candidates. Now, looks like they'll have to work a little harder to gain that control with the larger number to cover.

You live in Ward 1 and you mention that absolutely nothing has been done. Ditto for Ward 3 where I live. To his credit, Marconi will answer your E-Mails and return your phone calls. He is good at that. I just question some of his decisions(or lack of decisions at times) and direction he sees for the town. He seems caught up with the rest of Council in that he tends to over analyze everything and is afraid to make a decision, resulting in nothing getting done. If what we see from Armbruster at the Council meetings is any indication of how he handles the 1st Ward, you have your answer as to why you see nothing happening. He is a non contributor as to major problems/solutions for this town and is actually wasting a seat by his inactivity. Vote out all incumbants in November. Repeat next election until totally purged. Evaluate the new regime and vote them out if no improvement is made from the current council/school board. Purge the deadwood from city hall starting with the city manager on down.    Change the leadership of the city or watch it die. It's our choice at the polls.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 6:54am
Hermes you have a Ward 1 Council member, 2 at large members and a Mayor so that gives you 4.  I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch folks the next election day is May 2010, could see this issue then and on a ballot with far fewer issues to vote on.
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:10am
VietVet...I am in Ward 3 also...over by Highview school.  I have looked at the questions & answers from the candidates, and have been able to figure out who I would vote for in the other wards, but not ours...I think Marconi was the only one who answered...I have not lived here long, so any info you can give me on the others would be benificial in my decision.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 8:34am
Gem Marconi has not answered the questions as of yet, but Josh Laubach who is running against Marconi has and you can see his answers here:

Marconi said it would be several weeks before he could answer them and that was several weeks ago.  I don't understand the delay from a sitting Council person who has far more access to information to answer the question than new candidates, yet hasn't answered them yet.  Same with Armbruster in Ward 1.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 10:14am
Pacman
Mr. John Soppanish,  canidate for Ward 2, hasn't answered the questions for MUSA either.
I think we will be hearing from all these canidates about the first of September.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 11:15am
Thanks Vivian missed that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic