FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Middletown's Income level is so low

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Middletown's Income level is so low
    Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 11:19am
A major reason income levels are so low other than lack of good jobs, is the fact that City Leaders have turned Middletown into the Poverty and low income center of Butler County.

Just with Section 8 the law requires The PHA, AKA Middletown Housing Authority AKA City Council and Admin to:

"By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income. Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location. The PHA serving your community can provide you with the income limits for your area and family size."

This means that of the 1662+ vouchers in Middletown 75% or 1247 must go to extremely low income persons/families.  Considering Middletown has over 3200 Public and Section 8 housing units you do the math.  This is like waving a red flag in front of a bull.  This is the red flag for low income individuals and families to move to Middletown.

City Council and the Admin. should be fired period.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 11:56am
wow.... Wacko
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 12:23pm
Can anyone tell me why the movers and shakers that have been here, like I have, since the 50's are remaining silent on this? How could a person who has lived here through the good times, not be outraged at the city's operation today? We are literally watching a city be destroyed right before our eyes by "outsiders" who don't seem to give a damn, and some of the "born and raised" boomers are sitting silent on this. Don't you boomers care enough any more to even develop a whimper of anger? Let's kick these newcomer "ruiners of a city" out on their collective as....--- behinds. They have no hometown feelings/ownership for this city and could care less what they leave behind. What I don't understand is a guy like Marconi. Here's a guy who was born and raised here and has seen the better times. Yet, he is part of the same group of people who is taking his hometown apart and he is perfectly content to play along. I don't understand why he isn't angry about this. Why aren't you raising he-- about this Marconi? Same with Armbruster. This town has provided an opportunity to run his florist business for over 60 years. Why isn't he outraged (between naps) about what this town is turning into?

City leaders and Council are willing to trash the town with low income/HUD/ Section 8 for the government funds used as their revenue. Apparently, trashing the town and making it into a welfare, hand-out Appalachian catastrophy is easier than trying to get their revenue from decent paying jobs for the citizens. The leaders are so incredibly lazy, too ignorant, or just plain refuse to create revenue like a normal town would do using company and payroll taxes. They've driven all the revenue producing companies out of town and now have no choice but to get their revenue from government handouts. All should go including the city manager and the deadwood in the city building.

While we're developing a recall list by 2010, can we also petition that the replacement Council fire the city manager as well? I suspect that the way to get rid of a city manager is through Council, correct? How about the Planning/Econ. Dev. Directors while we're at it?
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 1:04pm
Vet, its like this. The top 100 are the docs and attorneys who earn their income in Middletown off the riches of AK Steel (and its benefit package). Those that work in city hall think, gee, I could have have worked at AK (or Armco previously of course), and therefore I am entitled. Look at those union guys pulling down 100 Kk annually, well, I deserve the same because I could have gone into that mill instead of being on the street on my beat, reference to officers. To keep the empire structured and in place, the prop up is now any program which brings in revenue. So, you also have the logic behind the top 100, those magical demographics for those that work in Middletown, or just love the social scene, to rule with the other ruling class.

Perhaps the appropriate strategy is to evaluate the cause and effect of the city's actions on property valuation, and the rights citizens have with the destruction because of the actions mentioned above. You don't get it Vet, city hall requires constant care and feeding, its a beast used to a diet in the glory days. It can't go on a diet, it can't go from sirloin to balogna, so whatever revenue can be had, its coming in. Your top 100 aren't going to disrupt the cart, they are making $150 Kk plus, and those that make this outside Middletown are discarded unless they join the ball, mingle with the old school set. Its a vicious cycle that won't ever end. Just my opinion of course. Middletown is a soap opera, As The World Turns. It will never be changed until the current demographics continue to plummet. With all the cash cow stimulus money, the city is having a field day spreading the wealth.   
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 1:56pm
In other words Middeltown is a "welfare" city,surviving on the handouts of big government.

And accuro is right,the city is being raped and has been raped by the city elite. None of whats going on is about beauty or preservation or anything else,it's about MONEY. Some people in this town figured out a way to make money and line their pockets with government dollars and it will stop,but by then it will be to late. My prediction for the city elite is in the next 5 years you will see some going to prison. Why they are not in prison now surprises me.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 2:06pm
The above Facts make Schiavone's statement about Section 8 ludicrous:

"Middletown has more section 8 than any one else in Butler  County, what do you feel the city needs to do concerning section 8?

The section 8 vouchers increased extremely fast during the past decade. Several reasons are because of the available low to moderate income housing in Middletown, the available services to help this sector of our community and the lack of oversight of City Council.

The oversight issue has now been corrected and as a result we will see a better administered program in the future. The section 8 program is a valuable resource for people who are in need of housing and are caught in a very difficult time in their lives due to loss of income, divorce and other life changing events. We can not turn our back on these people as they need our help to turn their lives around.

I believe as the economy gets better and people get back to work we can begin to reduce the number of vouchers, but it has to be done in an orderly and manageable way as our actions will effect the lives of many people
."

Schiavone does it matter to you that you have screwed up a city and affected 50000+ lives with this program that you and others have expanded and continue to maintain at astronomical proportions for a city this size.  The sooner you leave the better for us all. 

We can't affect 800-1000 lives but we can tear apart a whole city of 50000 people.  It is to bad this is not criminal.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 2:19pm
accuro- your statement- "its a beast use to the diet of the glory days"-accuro, to me, the glory days were when there were plenty of decent jobs to choose from. If you were an adult, you had a choice of jobs to provide your family with a rather decent lifestyle. If you were a college kid home for the summer, you could find a job to pay the tuition. If you were in high school, you could find a summer job that made it worth your while. There was pride in home ownership and when you picked up the Journal and read it, there was some actual intelligent, competent people making intelligent decisions about the city. Even the Journal was well prepared back then. Progress was made with boulevards being built, parks being maintained, pools open and funded, people shopping in the many choices provided, the downtown actually had choices and there was a reason to go down there, the town had a "friendlier" attitude about it and there seemed to be more cooperation between citizen and government back then. The people running the show now don't seem to offer any of these visions- on the contrary- they represent the opposite of open dialogue and progress. The character of the city leaders has changed. When more hometown people were running it, there seemed to be more interest taken by them to grow the town and offer people a decent place to live. Now- we have none of that. Since the 70's we have been on a constant downhill slide. There has not been a school board nor a Council that has had the quality and caring that produced the progress of the 60's. It's almost as if the quality of the people to choose from went down when we lost that "hometown flavor" in candidates to run the city.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 2:25pm
Well wasteful he did at least put some blame on himself....indirectly.

His reason for the increase is beyond comprehension. Availability of low to moderate income housing ?? I thought we were demolishing a lot of these type of houses ? If a person had a real-estate license and knew quit a few slumlords one could make some serious pocket change dealing in section 8 houses or the lots after the houses are torn down. But since I know nothing about real-estate and section 8 I'm just rambling.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 2:30pm
Hermes how do you have an item in the Budget go from about $2,000,000.00 to $11,000,000.00 in 7-8 years and not go.......hmmmmmmmmmm, that is Councils excuse, they didn't go hmmmmmmmmm.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 2:41pm
wasteful- what a load of crap spewed from Schiavone's mouth. Bottom line to have corrected the overabundance of this welfare program----- the city should have just said "No" and just dealt with their fair share with the other cities in Butler County carrying their fair share also, but the morons accepted the saturation level and are now using it as an excuse to declare a "poverty state" here in town to gain more revenue for their own private projects and personal wealth. IMO, Schiavone's always been one of the problems and never has been a solution. " We can not turn our backs on these people as they need our help to turn their lives around" - What crap. Why don't you use that theme on Council for running this town, Schiavone?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

Hermes how do you have an item in the Budget go from about $2,000,000.00 to $11,000,000.00 in 7-8 years and not go.......hmmmmmmmmmm, that is Councils excuse, they didn't go hmmmmmmmmm.

I know what your saying wasteful. It's kind of like a cruise on the Titanic. Everyone swore that ship could never sink,and the people who rode it said ok. Then one dark night it hit an iceberg,it sank !

I hope everyone has a life vest !!
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 5:12pm
Sinking of the Titantic> the proof is offered by the departure of the hospital, the AK executive leadership (and 300 other midtier), and those wise enough to see what was coming. For some odd reason, I think Mr. Schiavoni's departure has more to do with his brother's actions against SunCoke and Middletown than fatique. What massive leverage AK and the hospital now have. It is impossible to turn the city around, from a property value/ appreciation standpoint. The school system will be a virtual impossible task to rectify. Middletown's reputation and brand is so ruined, I'd estimate 80% would love to leave tomorrow if they could sell their home.     
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic