FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An interesting "what if"!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An interesting "what if"!
    Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 7:20am

First, let me state that I am in !00% agreement with Councilman Becker’s statements last night regarding regional cooperation--especially regarding something as difficult to achieve as a new interstate highway interchange. I believe that he is absolutely correct.

However, here’s an interesting--and very plausible--”what if” that I offer for everyone’s consideration:

Suppose that Middletown, Franklin, Franklin Township, and perhaps Carlisle or other communities all agree that a new interchange at I-75 and Manchester Road is in their collective best interests. This is a perfectly possible occurrence. And suppose that Monroe, Lebanon, Turtlecreek Township, Mason and perhaps Deerfield Township and a few other communities all agree that a new interchange at I-75 and Greentree Road is in their collective best interests--another perfectly possible occurence.

Wouldn’t this be a bit of a sticky wicket for Deerfield Township Administrator/Middletown Councilman Becker?

One would think that there would be laws or rules in place to assure that such situations do not occur, wouldn’t one???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 8:21am

Yes Mike it would be a sticky wicket...however…I thought that Mr. Becker would be serving for just a short period of time in Warren County.

I-75 Interchange 
  When I look at some of these City plans I always ask myself how I would design this project and why. And I must tell you this is the perfect plan for our City to solve its little image problem.
  So here is my plan: The City Council can’t find a way to get visitors into their “Newly Restored Downtown Area” without going through our unsightly part of town, past Cohen Bros and then the mess on
Central Ave.

So the best way to bring visitors into
Middletown would be to bring them straight down Manchester Ave. (Not as many trashy things to be seen) Then they would only have to tear down a few blocks of houses located from Manchester & Charles into their downtown area. On this new property they could plant lots of trees & flowers and build high end condos.
  Yep…them boys at City Hall have been putting a lot of thought into this little project.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 9:43am
Mike he is supposedly only going to have that position until January, 2010.  I doubt any action will occur in that short time.  Now if he applies for the full time job and gets it then that is another issue.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 1:12am

Hey, I wasn’t criticizing! If you recall, I used to be a fan, and even a defender, of Mr. Becker until I perceived him to be less than forthright on the Public Safety tax increase. (Where DOES that $2.5 million +- go every year???)

He brought up the “regional cooperation” on the Manchester interchange, not I! I was just putting forth an interesting possibility on the very same subject.

Conflicts of interests are a pet peeve of mine, since NO ONE at Middletown’s City Hall seems to think that such a thing can EVER POSSIBLY EXIST, no matter how blatantly obvious!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 6:59am
As far as I am concerned, when Les Landen stated that Perry Thacker's position as a sitting City Councilman (at the time) did not constitute a Conflict of Interest while the City was looking to buy $5mil of Mr Thacker's property for the new Hospital Project, then there is no such thing as Conflict of Interest!

A man can't give up a Pissy little job like City Councilman for a $5mil Deal?

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Mike he is supposedly only going to have that position until January, 2010.  I doubt any action will occur in that short time.  Now if he applies for the full time job and gets it then that is another issue.

Pacman,out of all the possible qualified candidates why in the world would they choose Becker ? Does Becker bring to the table some type of special talents ? I seriously doubt it. Becker would qualify for police chief,but thats about it. What little time he has spent in different positions with Middeltown other than chief should not qualify him for anything in the capacity of running a city.

I definitly see a conflict of interest here and it reaks of good ole boy dealings.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic