Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HUD Programs: Citizen Participation Opportunities?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUD Programs: Citizen Participation Opportunities?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUD Programs: Citizen Participation Opportunities?
    Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 4:12pm

Subj: FW: 1-6-09 council meeting 
Date: 1/6/2009 4:46:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: Nelsonself@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

fyi

Robyn L. McNally
Mortgage Consultant
PNC Mortgage, LLC
MAC M6886-021
201 E Fifth Street
Cincinnati,  OH  45202
(513)464-7383 Tel
robyn.l.mcnally@pncmortgage.com

-----Original Message-----
From: amarconi@cinci.rr.com [mailto:amarconi@cinci.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:45 PM
To: Mcnally, Robyn L.
Subject: Re: 1-6-09 council meeting

This is disturbing and needs to be questioned at tonights meeting.

Thanks, Tony

---- Robyn.L.Mcnally@pncmortgage.com wrote: 
I was reviewing the agenda for tonights council meeting.  I noticed that on the agenda is the 1st reading for the projected use of funds from the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.  This is the old title for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG funds).  I find it very disturbing that there is a reading on this since no one on the Consolidated Planning Committee has been able to review any of the proposals from the organizations requesting these funds.  There were meetings scheduled in December, however they were cancelled by Ginger Smith.  I emailed Ginger myself requesting to get copies of the applications to send out to the committee members - at that time I was told they would be presented at the Housing Sub Committee meeting in Dec.  We still have not received any more word of when our meetings will take place or who has applied for these funds.

It is my concern that this money will also be used for more demolition of blighted properties in the city.  That is why we have been shut out on reviewing any documents.  With a large sum from the Stabilization money going towards the demolition, it would not make since to add more money to an area that has not been founded to be successful in our community as of yet.  If we only focus on one area to improve the city, we will only cause more damage then what the goal was.
In several of the Housing Sub Committee meetings it was mentioned that management thought our main focus was for the CDBG funds.  I really feel that it was decided from management that our committee was not to exist anymore.  If this is the case we need to be informed of this.  The money that comes in is for the city of Middletown, and individuals should have a right to say where they feel this money can help make a difference to the community.  If we just tear properties down - then what are we doing to assist the existing citizens of the community.  It may help make the neighborhoods look better - but there is more issues then just ugly properties in this community.
Please let the committee know what steps we need to take - at this time we are at a loss, and do not feel that we are taken seriously by the management.

Thank you for your time.

Robyn L. McNally
Mortgage Consultant
PNC Mortgage, LLC
MAC M6886-021
201 E Fifth Street
Cincinnati,  OH  45202
(513)464-7383 Tel
robyn.l.mcnally@pncmortgage.com
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:03pm
If you have 1000 vacate properties that are uninhabitable is it not better to tear them down than to continue the cycle of absentee ownership and housing which is sub standard?  Is that what this is talking about homes that are slated for demolition?
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:38pm
Pac -

Do the above e-mails speak to the current absence of meaningful citizen participation in the formulation/selection of HUD-funded project activities and allocation of CDBG, HOME and NSP capital resources?

Now, is it possible that there may be no transparency in government and the citizenry is kept at arms length in decision-making process?  Do we end up being told what is good for us by a handful of power brokers?

I believe that we both prefer an open and inclusive process where government provides the general public with fair and reasonable opportunity to be heard.

JPS
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2009 at 6:48am
Rail I think much Citizen Participation has been curtailed since Gilleland has taken over and in some cases it is not for the good.

But I also agree that these properties need to go rather than spending Millions to recycle housing that is past it's usefull life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic