Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Sunday, April 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CDBG $$$ For Alleys Instead Of. Historic Cemetery?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CDBG $$$ For Alleys Instead Of. Historic Cemetery?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CDBG $$$ For Alleys Instead Of. Historic Cemetery?
    Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 9:06am

Mrs. Moon,

How interesting that it is a priority to spend $60,000+ in CDBG funds for some unidentified alleys than the Historic Pioneer Cemetery?  I read where Judy G. said the city supposedly had no CDBG funds for the cemetery awhile back?  What is going on with this?  Please tell us Doug A.  It smells like a dead fish wrapped in the Daily Mistake?
Iliveheretoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 9:12am
Sounds like a question for Judy G. Since she is the one that said there was no money. 
Nameless View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nameless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2009 at 1:46pm
Makes sense to pave the alleys so that the citizens of Middletown get some benefit out of the money instead of fixing a stupid vault that benefits no one!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2009 at 8:16am
Nameless:      What about the people who have love ones there?  Our history is in that Cemetery. Our first mayor is just inside the gates. If it was money for a golf course it would be ok right that only benefit a few. It looks like you dont care about the history of Middletown, do you?????
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2009 at 10:58am
I agree Impala SS the vault should be taken care of , not over our city streets but it should be maintained. It is a part of Middletown history. 
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 1:36am
I think there would be enough money to do both the alleys and also fix up the vault.
Nameless View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nameless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 8:38am
Impala-  If I remember my Middletown History correctly, there is no one buried in that vault.  When there is apparently a limited number of CDBG funds why waste them on a vault in a historic cemetary that no one ever goes to?  In all my years of living in and around Middletown, I never see anyone there when I drive by.  The alleys of Middletown are used daily by many people in the city.  It makes more sense to use the money for their upkeep than for a vault in a cemetary that no one goes to.
Iliveheretoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Nameless Nameless wrote:

Impala-  If I remember my Middletown History correctly, there is no one buried in that vault.  When there is apparently a limited number of CDBG funds why waste them on a vault in a historic cemetary that no one ever goes to?  In all my years of living in and around Middletown, I never see anyone there when I drive by.  The alleys of Middletown are used daily by many people in the city.  It makes more sense to use the money for their upkeep than for a vault in a cemetary that no one goes to.
  I have to ji=ump in here sorry. I do agree that no one is buried in the vault and the cemetery is not a place where many people go. There are alot of places that no one goes to in this town why not demolish them first?
 As for the alleys: do they need work done... yes! Are there other streets that need work done over an alley..Hell YES. why not repave Sutphin Street or parts of central first then worry about an alley? I think that was the main point in this forum. Pave the streets not some alleys.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 10:19am
Nameless
    Laws of the State of
Ohio clearly state that the City of Middletown MUST take care of Middletown Cemetery. The law also state they must also maintain any structures located in the cemetery. I know of no law that requires the City to fix the pot holes in the allies.
    You are mistake about a few of your facts. More people visit the Middletown Cemetery than the Pickwick Building on Main Street or the Canal Museum or the Commons.
    This is a one time investment in the vault. This building is now used to store materials and tools used to maintain the cemetery and will also be needed to store tombstones when we start restoring the many broken ones that now litter the grounds. It is also the focal point of the cemetery.
    It has been declared historic and has a much right to be restored with CDBG funds as any other building in the downtown area that has used these same funds. Because it's in the wrong area does not mean it's less important.
    Men that gave their lives to keep you free and the founders of our city are buried in this cemetery and deserve more respect than this.
    SOMETIMES YA JUST NEED TO STAND UP AND DO THE RIGHT THING.

Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 11:05am
Nameless:    You are right there is no one buried in the vault. But do you want the city known for its history, or do you want us to known as the city with great alleys? I still say you dont give a damn about the history of Middletown, and I say the same to council.
RealDeal View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 12:53pm
While our alleys and streets need to be paved,they can be paved at anytime.If you keep letting the cemetery go,there will be nothing left to keep up.Those people should be respected just as much as if you wanted people to respect your relatives that are buried in a different cemetery.Founders are there.Military people are there.That should be plenty enough reason to keep it up.

The alleys though,aren't as important as the streets.So if I were to choose between cemetery and alley,I'd go with the cemetery.Sure people don't stop to pay a visit there,but then again,with it not looking like something you'd like to visit for historical purposes,people aren't going to stop there and look. Maybe when they fix up the tombstones and the yard,they should put up something that describes who these people are.Give people something to read about our founders.

I highly doubt anybody will put up a memorial for the person living in the house or who used to live in a house that has an alley behind it.

I can just see it now.The person that lived here in front of the Charles St. alley passed away back in 1954.He worked at such and such place and was raised in such and such place before moving to this house.LOL

Come on Nameless,show a little respect for the dead.That's what's wrong with people now.They don't remember how they got what they have now.
Middletown has fallen!!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 2:40pm
Impala I think the history is in the ground and not in the Vault.   I think you are all beating a dead horse here when it comes to the vault, don't be surprised if it is torn down barring a generous soul giving some money to repair it.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2009 at 6:16am
Wasteful:          Then why did Marty Kohler deem it a historical building? The city is the one to bitch about not the people in this room. The city did it ,now let them take care of it. After all it is on the national list of historical sites.
Nameless View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nameless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 9:00pm

Vivian-

You mention that the vault will be needed when "we" start repairing the many tombstones that are broken.  Who is this "we" and where is the money coming from?  If you have money to repair the broken tombstones why not use it to repair the vault instead of expecting the city to give you the money?  If it's so important to Middletown history why haven't you tried to raise the money to repair it when it's obvious the city doesn't have the money to give?  If you've tried to raise money and have been unsuccessful, it's obvious the people of Middletown aren't interested in saving the vault.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2009 at 4:23am
Nameless
Volunteers will help restore the small stones with minor damage. It will take years to find all the downed tombstones and repair them.
I have donated all my research funds for the past five years to help buy materials that we have needed for the restoration of the cemetery.
The Middletown Cemetery Committee received numerous grants and donations over the past five years to help pay for the restoration that has been completed.
The Middletown Historical Society was acting as the the fiscal agent for the Middletown Cemetery Fund since we were not a 5013C . In 2007 the MHS refused to file any further grants for the restoration of the Middletown Cemetery.
The City can use CDBG funds to restore the vault or they can file for other grants for the restorations of the vault.
I guess we will need to wait and see what the State of Ohio has to say about this subject.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic