FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H1N1 impact on Halloween

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H1N1 impact on Halloween
    Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 12:19pm
just heard that the city has cancelled the annual city building "trick or treat" event for kids due to H1N1.  i would be surprised if this is the case, but can anyone verify this?  if so, what's next? 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 1:07pm
My wife and I are talking about not giving any candy this year because of H1N1. Personally if the city building isn't going to hand out then the city should cancel it altogether. I haven't heard yet of any cities that have canceled but it might be an idea.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 7:37pm

just found out that this is true per a Journal story a few days ago. 

By Ed Richter | Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 12:48 AM

For the past several years, Middletown children swarmed the City Building in search of sweets as a safe warm-up before hitting the streets to trick or treat.

In 2001, about 500 children visited the city building, which city employees decorated in various themes and also wore costumes.

That number has risen to more than 1,000 in the past few years.

However, Health Commissioner David Winfough has advised City Manager Judy Gilleland that the annual event that was set for Oct. 30 be cancelled because of the ongoing presence and growth of the H1N1 virus and could pose a possible health risk to employees, visitors and the children.

Gilleland has cancelled the event and said she hopes to have it again next year.

The annual citywide trick or treat on Oct. 31 is still on.

Cancellation of the event will have another impact. According to the city’s Finance Department, the annual event cost about $3,000. Finance Director Russ Carolus said the event is still budgeted for 2010 with $2,800 to be allocated, upon the approval of City Council.

Permalink | Comments (3) | Post your comment | Categories: Middletown

Comments

By Groucho

September 30, 2009 6:08 AM | Link to this

Oh joy, an extra 3 grand to spend. Council better get on that right away.

By momof2

September 30, 2009 8:53 AM | Link to this

Next thing ya know trick or treat itself will be cancelled because of H1N1, what else, ohh midfest should be too!!! I swear some ppl are jus acting like its the end of the world.

By WTF

September 30, 2009 11:44 AM | Link to this

My goodness.. why are you taking this away from the kids? Not a resident of Middletown, but really? That’s like taking Christmas away because Santa isn’t real? Council really has their heads in other places. What a shame!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 10:29pm
My wife is a nurse and I trust her judgement and knowledge about the H1N1 before I would some politician or someone who hasn't a clue what they are talking about. My wife said it was predicted back in the summer that people would ignore any warnings about the flu. No you can't live in fear but people could use a sack full of common sense which seems to be a severe shortage of.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic