FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reply From Mr. Adkins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reply From Mr. Adkins
    Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:12am
As I read the new topics on the site this morning (as I do every morning) I came across the topic "Poverty City, Ohio is it gonna happen" In that post there a few questions posed to Mr Adkins. I felt that they were legitimate questions so I emailed him this morning. In the span of 10 minutes he had emailed me back with a response. Before I post the answers to the questions I would like to say a little bit about my experience in dealing with Mr. Adkins. I have meet a few times in person and he has always talked with me and answered any question I have asked. He has never not responded to an email I have sent. And As many of you know this has not always been the case when I try to get some answers from people.

I know that many of you do not care for Mr. Adkins and that is your right to feel that way. But in my dealings with him he has been upfront and willing to answer anything I have asked. I do not have some special email address for him I use the same one anybody can use.

Now please bloggers do not misunderstand my comments here, I do not not agree with some of the decisions he and other leaders in our city have made. As is my right! I just wanted to say thank you to Mr. Adkins for always answering my emails and questions.

So here are the questions I asked of Mr. Adkins.

1. Can you  identify locations of alleys to be paved?

Answer: see the attached pdf.   Alley Paving Map

Can you provide the cost for Butler Asphalt LLC to pave these alleys?

Answer: See Below

2009 ALLEY PAVING PROGRAM

BID TABULATION

LEGAL NOTICE NO. 7049                BIDS RECEIVED:  September 28, 2009

CONTRACTOR’S NAME & ADDRESS

AMOUNT

ENGINEER’S ESTIMATE

$75,771.00

BUTLER ASPHALT, LLC

7500 Johnson Station Road, Vandalia, Ohio 45377

$122,931.50

BARRETT PAVING MATERIALS, INC.

2551 Needmore Road, Dayton, Ohio 45414

$155,088.25

VANDALIA BLACKTOP & SEALCOATING, INC.

6740 Webster Street, Dayton, Ohio 45414-2613

$86,616.37

Butler Asphalt, LLC. was the low bid in the amount of $122,931.50

which is 62% over the Engineer’s Estimate of $75,771.00

eptember 28, 2009

TO:                  Judy Gilleland, City Manager

FROM:            David J. Duritsch Jr., Public Works & Utilities Director

Prepared by: Robert E. Nicolls, Senior Engineer

PURPOSE

To authorize the City Manager to enter into a contract with Butler Asphalt LLC for paving 6 alleys within the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) eligible areas.

BACKGROUND and FINDINGS

This project involves paving 6 existing alleys within the CDBG eligible areas of the City.  The Engineering Division reviewed all of the alleys within the CDBG eligible areas and selected alleys that were most in need of repair to be included in the program.

Bids were submitted by 3 contractors for the project on September 28, 2009 with Butler Asphalt LLC submitting the lowest and best bid.  One bid was disqualified due to an error on the bid sheet, and the 2 remaining bids were well above the engineers estimate and the project budget.  The large discrepancy between the engineers estimate and the bid amount is most likely attributable to the relatively small quantities included in the program as well as the logistics of operating the paving equipment within the confined spaces of the alleys.

In order to reduce the total cost of the project to within the cost budgeted for the project, 1 alley that required significant base repair will be non-performed and a second alley will have a revised scope of work.  This proposed cost reduction has been discussed with and verbally agreed to by Butler Asphalt LLC.

ALTERNATIVES  

1. Do Nothing
   2. Award contract to a different contractor

FINANCIAL IMPACT

A CDBG grant provides up to $69,315 for this project.  The proposals received for this project on September 28, 2009 ranged in price from $122,931.50 to $155,088.25.  The low bid submitted by Butler Asphalt LLC was 26% lower than the next-lowest bidder (Barrett Paving Materials Inc.) and 62% above the engineer’s estimate.

The project will be administered according to the unit rates bid for the project.  A potential 7th alley has been selected for paving if the work can be added to the project while keeping the total cost under the grant amount.

There are no city funds involved with this project.

EMERGENCY/NON-EMERGENCY

Emergency.  In order to meet the project completion date of November 15, 2009, the contract needs to be awarded at the earliest opportunity.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS

The contract will be awarded by legislation because we are throwing out the bids and negotiating with the apparent low bidder to revise the scope of work to meet the grant amount.  While we will be using the unit prices provided in the original bid, the formal bid process will have to be waived.

RECOMMENDATION

Staff recommends award of a contract to Butler Asphalt LLC in an amount not to exceed $69,314.00.

ATTACHMENTS

Vicinity Map

Bid Tab

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:29am

If we had transparency in our municipal government and true CITIZENS PARTICIPATION was not abolished in late 2008, it would not be necessary for you to intervene in obtaining answers to our reasonable questions.  Regarding alley paving, it appears that Ward One is the clear priority.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 10:56am
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Now please bloggers do not misunderstand my comments here, I do not not agree with some of the decisions he and other leaders in our city have made. As is my right! I just wanted to say thank you to Mr. Adkins for always answering my emails and questions.
 Randy,
In Mr. Adkins defense, I will point out that this infomation was/is available in the workbook for tomorrow's City Council meeting.

Everyone may not be aware, but the workbook is available on line before (nearly) every council meeting.  The earliest that I have ever seen it appear is on the Friday before each meeting.  The latest is on Monday.  Sometimes items seem to be "missing", and the slide shows are seldom included, but it's a start.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 11:02am
Mike, I am aware that this information can be found on the city's web site. But like you not sure if everyone knows that. I would also like people to know that if you have a question email it to Mr. Adkins he has a city email address. I belive he will respond to a question posed by anyone as long as it is legitimate. 
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 12:34pm
Randy -

In my opinion, how did alley paving and purchase of playground apparatus become the top two priorities for Mr. Adkins when HUD announced that Middletown would be receiving $180,000 in Supplementary FY 2009 CDBG funding earlier this year?  It is not a matter of alley paving or street repairs, but which of the following CDBG Program Eligible Activities is really the highest and best use of HUD funds?

Eligible Activities

CDBG funds may be used for activities which include, but are not limited to:

• acquisition of real property;
  • relocation and demolition;
  • rehabilitation of residential and non-residential structures;
  • construction of public facilities and improvements, such as water and sewer facilities, streets, neighborhood centers, and the conversion of school buildings for eligible purposes;
  • public services, within certain limits;
  • activities relating to energy conservation and renewable energy resources; and
  • provision of assistance to profit-motivated businesses to carry out economic development and job creation/retention activities.
Nelson Self
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 12:58pm
Nelson, I agree that there are more pressing issues in town to spend this money on. I would like to make an offer to you Nelson. Come to tomorrows city council meeting meet me there and we will find Mr. Adkins and you can ask him some questions face to face. I know the situation you are in with your past employment with the city. And I know it wouldnt ne easy to come there but I would like it if you did. I will stand side by side with you and you can speak your mind in an open forum. What do you say ?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 5:37pm

Mike
I have not been able to open the workbook on either link this week for some reason. Is anyone else having this problem?

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 6:02pm
Vivian:
I have been able to open the workbook from the city homepage several times over the last two days.  I just tried again from the link posted above, and it seemed to work fine for me.  Could it be an issue with your computer??  I dunno, just wondering...
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 6:40pm
Question why is the Engineers estimate so far off from the actual bids, is this the norm? 

Engineers Estimate $75,771.00

Butler Asphalt Bid $122931.50
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 7:34pm
What about Vandalia Blacktop. The engineer's estimate is $75,771. Vandalia is the closest at $86,616. Why use anyone else? And tell me again why alleys seem to be a priority here? You have the residents using the alley to park in their garages and you have Rumpke picking up the garbage once a week using the alley but other than that, where's the high volume usage to justify the action? Just don't see it as worthy of any expenditure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic