FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barge Under the Gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barge Under the Gun
    Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 10:10pm
At last night's forum, unfortunately I picked #1 position out of the hat. My answer was "I will refrain from answering until I am elected to review the policies." When the question was asked I started thinking "how in the world do you answer this in 60 seconds!" After watching our current administration and council not conforming to their own policies I found it rather amusing to answer this in 60 seconds and stumbled on my answer. I apologize to all the citizens and MiddletownUSA. AND YES nerves got me at first. !!!!  But put yourself under that gun without being groomed. I shot from the hip and then ran with it.
Gary Barge
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 10:22pm

Been there done that Gary!Thumbs%20Up You have my support!

Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 10:27pm
smartman

THANKS
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 12:50am
Your sincerity, independence and commitment to serve came across very well this past Wednesday night.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 5:18am
Gary,
I know that you could've done better, and would've without the lead-off spot draw.  Shake it off and go right ahead.

Polished politicians are NOT what we need.  We've had several (at least they THINK they are) since I returned (1998) and look where it's gotten us. 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 6:20am
I think You did fine as well, Gary. 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:00am
Gary,
      Tuesday night's forum was an exercise in solving the cities problems in one minute bites. City Council and the Administration haven't been able to solve them in years. They still don't have a real plan. We all know the work that you have done the last few years, unselfishly, and at great expense,  in behalf of the 1st ward and all of the citizens in Middletown. You have expresssed yourself clearly,  over and over, at council meetings, in writing , in the newspapers, on this website, going door to door.
       The fact that you have expressed your concern regarding your efforts Tuesay night to the citizens of Midlletown demonstrates the content of your character and the reason you should be elected as the 1st ward council representative. Its easy for people who have not been in any forum to criticize. I've never seen a statute built to honor a critic.
        Press forward!
        Paul Nagy
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:21am
Gary several things struck me about the Forum.

1)  The indepth questions with only 1 minute to answer.  This was a less then adequate situation to start and personally I would have preferred more time for more indepth answers.  Challengers are at a disadvantage when it comes to these questions as incumbents have been dealing with these issues for years. 

2)  I discounted everyones delivery and looked at the substance of what they were saying.
Marconi and Armbruster spent a good part of the night defending the Councils decisions for the past four years.  This was a waste of time.  Picard was the spit and polished attorney.  For me it is what you say and will do, not how you deliver it.

Many of us, myself included, would have been just as nervous as you were in that situation.  Some people want the polished orator, I want the guy that will take into consideration the little guy in the city and do what is best for everyone not just the top 1% of the population.

I think everyone had their moments during the forum and personally I will vote for Laubach and I have not yet decided on whether to vote do away with the Wards yet.

Mr. Nagy I particularlly liked your closing statement, it was right on the money.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:25am
I was at the forum and couldn't believe the time they gave you candidates to answer complex questions with multiple topics included. The one question that was asked was asinine to say the least. The question "What qualifies you to manage a $100 million dollar budget and how would you go about it" or something to that affect. Ridiculous question!!!!!! No one in that room- no one but the Procter & Gamble/major corporate CEO would be "qualified" to manage and run a $100 million dollar budget!!!! Whoever decided to use that question was way out of line.

Gary- don't worry about it. You did fine as the forum went along. No one, including Armbruster and Marconi felt they had enough time to answer the questions satisfactorily. The forum was handled poorly from a time perspective. I would have rather seen the audience be allowed to write their own questions, walk up to the podium, face the candidates and point blank ask the same question to each candidate and give that candidate at least 4 minutes to think and answer the question. These questions should have never come from a pre-selected panel because the questions asked may not have been the ones that are of interest to the majority of the citizens. Again, an attempt by the city to control the process without the citizen's input. This is the very reason why all incumbants, Gilleland and certain identified problem children need to be removed from their positions. Control of/non-participation of the general public must be stopped.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 8:52am

Ward Four Voters -

Paul Nagy deserves your vote too!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 9:46am
Presentation definitely matters.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 10:25am
Spider not everyone is a born speaker.  Not all people can be a Mr. Picard.  Whomever is elected will most likely improve with time.  If the only requirement to get elected was to be able to give a great speech or presentation.......well we would be......in the mess we are in with good old Obama.Big%20smile

Geeez just look at Middletowns Council a few short years ago when they were at each others throat constantly.Ouch
Iliveheretoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 10:36am
I was at the debate or whatever you want to call it. I noticed something that no one has mentioned. Greg Pratt as we all know is a supporter of Mr. Armbruster and was on the panel. That alone is something we should be discussing. But at the start of the meeting it was said that names had been drawn to decide who would ask the first question  and to which candidate it would go too. I found it funny that the Greg asked the first question to the man (Gary)who is running against the man (Armbruster) that he supports. What are the odds? Not only that the first question was a tough one that any one that has not served on council could not give a adequate answers. 

I think Gary needs some work speaking, but as many have said that will come with time. This city needs a change, some new ideas and I think most of us agree that the current council has done nothing to save this town. I will be voting for Gary.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 12:20pm

Are any of the Picard for Council campaign workers members of the MMF?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 12:30pm
Wasteful--no one is a born speaker.

jmo
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 3:16pm
We Middletonians should support "local businesses" first.  Keep our money and jobs here.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:22pm

Mr. Gary Barge
I thought your interview with the Middletown Journal was excellent.
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/election/candidate-brings-persistence-to-council-table-338836.html

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic