Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Sunday, May 5, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - John Soppanish Wants Accountability: by Ed Richter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Soppanish Wants Accountability: by Ed Richter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Soppanish Wants Accountability: by Ed Richter
    Posted: Oct 11 2009 at 10:22pm
By Ed Richter, Staff Writer 7:55 PM Sunday, October 11, 2009

John Soppanish described himself as “sincere” and said that a person’s reputation is based on doing what you said you’re going to do and knowing that you tried your best.

Soppanish, 67, of 1110 Lafayette Ave., is a candidate for the open 2nd Ward seat on Middletown City Council.

“My heart is in the city as I listen and work with people,” he said.

Among the issues he says are key to making Middletown more progressive is job retention and creation.

“Economic development needs to get focused on jobs,” he said. “The main thing holding the city back is jobs. You can’t put all your eggs into one basket. We need to educate people and we need factories. We shouldn’t be turning down businesses now if they can benefit the community.”

Soppanish said the city needs to find ways to help the Middletown City School District through community outreach partnerships with Miami University Middletown and the United Way.

One effort that he’s involved in, place matters, is helping work to strengthen the Douglass Park, downtown Middletown, Damon Park and Amanda Elementary School areas of the community.

Soppanish hopes the program will help to build community and strengthen families in the 2nd Ward as well as improve adult literacy levels.

“There was a time when people didn’t need an education because they had a job,” he said. “Those days are over.

He said the discipline in the schools have been lost and they are rated low by the state. Until the school situation is straightened out, the jobs are not going to come to the city.

Infrastructure and streets are another area of concern facing Middletown, Soppanish said.

“In 1985, voters changed the city’s ordinance to change the allocation of income tax that used to fund street repairs,” he said.

There needs to be more flexibility and accountability in city finances, he said, saying the city should be more flexible with employee scheduling and take a closer look at employee salaries and benefits.

“Look at the benefits, they’re exceptional,” he said. “But why are we hiring people during a recession?”

“We need to restore accountability,” he said. “People want accountability. We need to ask questions but there’s no answers are coming back.”

Part of that accountability is ensuring the ward system of government remains intact and size of council does not get reduced, he said. Voters will have the opportunity to decide if a proposed charter change on the issue should be approved.

Soppanish served as vice chairman of the 15-member 2009 Charter Review Committee and was one of two members who voted against the recommendation to place it on the ballot.

While he did sign a petition to place it on the ballot, Soppanish said he still opposes the proposal and feels the voters are “smart enough” to reject it.

Soppanish said it’s going to take years to get the city back.

“Every community around us has assets,” he said. “How did Mason get a dog-jumping contest? I don’t think (Middletown officials are) doing they’re job.”

“The movers and shakers are more interested in benefitting themselves than the citizens as a whole,” he said. “I’m going to be working for the people, not the few.”

Soppanish also said there is too much Section 8 housing in the city.

“It’s not being watched over properly,” he said. “Why the issue and discrepancies?”

Soppanish also understands the program first-hand as he used to be landlord for Section 8 tenants. He said he had some good tenants in the program.

In four years, Soppanish said he wants to see progress in the 2nd Ward. He envision more activities and greater use of Douglass Park; seeing the extension of Ohio 63 that may bring companies to Middletown’s South End; correctly using Community Development Block Grant funds to clean up blight and more business.

“We need (businesses) because there will be more jobs when the economy picks up,” he said.

Soppanish hopes there’s a completely different 2nd Ward in eight years as older houses are demolished and newer houses take their place. In addition, he sees more middle-income families living in the 2nd Ward.

“I hope I can tell you (in 12 years) we’re looking at a progressive ‘domino effect,” Soppanish said. “I see more pride and respect for the neighborhood. Having more people at Damon Park and at Douglass Park and showing the community that you can come to Ward 2 without getting into problems.

“I also see people understanding that helping to make Ward 2 stronger does benefit the whole city,” he said. “I just want to see what’s best for Middletown.”

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2871 or erichter@coxohio.com.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 12:51pm
Alot of good stuff from John. Seems to understand the people moreso than the current incumbants who choose to ignore the people's wishes for the city. John indicates here that his agenda is what the people want for their city, not his own personal one. That's a good thing. Now, if we can fill the council seats with this thinking and remove the current members and refocus direction and priorities, starting in November, we will start on a long hard road to recovery to reverse the damage done by the current city leaders. John, I would hope that as you and other new vision people man the council seats, after getting acclimated to the positions, you and the others would start cleaning out city hall starting with the city manager. She has done enough damage and must be removed. Same with Kohler, Landen and Adkins with his little 54% poverty program. Make 'em like Nicholas Cage- GONE IN SIXTY SECONDS!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic