FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nagy Signs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HomeTownGal View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeTownGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nagy Signs
    Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 12:09pm
I would like to see about placing a Paul Nagy sign in my yard.  Does anyone know if Mr. Nagy has campaign signs, and if so, how I go about getting one?  Our house has great visibility - I'm right on Grand Avenue near the corner of Euclid Street.  I think half the battle is having name recognition and this would be a great help.

By the way...I'm a first time poster...everyday reader...

I really want to change the makeup of Council.  This is my hometown and I'm quite saddened by the state that Middletown is in these days.

Janet
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 12:58pm
I believe that Mr. Nagy received an email from City Hall warning about signs, and may have decided not to risk placing any.

Two years ago, someone from the city reportedly removed many of Mr. Nagy's and Mr. Barge's signs that were placed right next to "other candidates' (who got elected)" signs while leaving the "other candidates' signs alone.  They supposedly have either photos or video of this occuring (although I have not seen it.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:16pm
Mike- can the city just "remove the signs" without a formal complaint by another candidate and then an investigation by the board of elections as to the allegations? Doesn't the board have the final sayso as to the sign removal? If Mr. Nagy can't place signs out or is "gun-shy" because of past city bullying, this could present a real drawback to his campaign, couldn't it? Hum- strange that the very people who were elected were the same ones who's signs stayed in place. Funny how well that works out for some in this town. Must have just been coincidence. Yeah, that's it!
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeTownGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 2:26pm
Hmmm...it appears some (Council) people don't play fair!

Thanks for your replies.  Randy is going to contact Mr. Nagy to see about signs.  I think it would be beneficial to his campaign to get some signs in place - hopefully it will work out.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 2:58pm
HomeTownGal,
        Thank you so much for the inquiry regarding my posting election signs. You are abig encouragement. In addition to what Mike Presta said about the city's concern of cluttering up (How phony) I am having trouble justifying the expense. My medical bills this past two years have been enormous and if I can't contribute a serious amount toward signs I have a problem asking others to do so. So, it would help me a lot if people like you would do some word of mouth promotion for me. I'd appreciate it very much. If elected I will answer with the best thats in me. Thank you.
         Paul Nagy
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 3:02pm
To all of the above,
Let me fill you in on the actual details of the "vanishing signs". In 2007 I personally went and pulled the sign ordinance when I was running for the at large seat. I put out over 200 signs and had spotters to keep me informed if they needed attention. Approximately 2 weeks before the election I had reports that my signs were missing and a few homeowners saw a street/maintenance truck driver pulling up my signs. 57 signs came up missing.  I inquired as to where my signs were at thru Ron Phelps. I informed him that I put the signs out per the sign ordinance sign law. He replied they were in the public right of way. I informed him that I had witnesses that seen city employees take the signs from their properties and where we my signs. He said he thought they were behind the city garage. They were there laying in a big mud puddle. I got pissed off and asked Mr Phelps why couldn't they have given me a courtesy call or dropped them off on my front porch with a gleaming glare and got no response. I then contacted Les Landen and asked for an immediate meeting the following day after I had retrieved my signs. At that meeting I told them that the laws had changed and by taking my signs and not informing me was against the law(this was confirmed by the Board of Elections and could be considered a felony). They got the deer in the headlight look. The only ones they seemed concerned about was the ones on Tytus where there were no sidewalks. There was nothing in the city ordinance stating how far back from the curb the signs should be. I used a common measurement of 11 ft and was quoted  by the BOE that 11 ft should be far enough.  And that was the agreement between me, Ron Phelps, Les Landen, and Dave Duritsch. But on the other hand, some other candidate signs were placed between the sidewalk and curb that were not pulled. When I advised the city of this they were nice enough to call those candidates and have them move their signs. I then told Les, Ron, and Dave since they were driving right by my house they could have dropped off my signs or given me a courtesy call.  So the disappearing signs were put back in their exact same spot with no further incidence.
My question to the rest of MiddletownUSA --- do think perhaps the other candidates (not to name any names) got special treatment??  HMMMMM
Gary Barge

Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:43pm
Paul and Gary are correct about the missing signs. In the 2007 council and mayor race I had signs removed from my yard on Tytus. Because I knew how the city building works, I had place the signs back 15 to 20 feet from the street (no sidewalks). The signs were still stolen by public works people. The people in the city building will stoop to any level to keep people in charge that will protect their over-paid jobs. They will also be vindictive as we all have seen by their actions in the Pioneer Cemetery last week. Is there any wonder that Middletown has the image that we have? 
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:48pm
I forgot to mention that I took pictures of other candidates' signs between the curbs and sidewalks. This was after the ones in my yard were removed. The other "in crowd" signs were never moved. I guess it depended on whose name was on the sign, how it was treated. 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 8:27pm
Geeezzzzzzzz we had SignGate, which I remember also, now we have CemeteryGate.....you know folks if anyone of us had done any of this, we would be sitting in jail right now. Thumbs%20Down
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:18am
Gary- Since the removal of the signs was deemed a felony by the board of elections, did anyone pursue this in court? The city needs to be taken down a peg or two. We need more lawsuits against the city such as Vivian's legal action involving the cemetery. Let Leslie earn his paycheck for once in court. It is a shame that the average citizen doesn't have the financial means nor the time away from work to pursue legal action more often. Some job losses, fines or possible jail time would be sufficient for our city leaders and their friends. I know it would please me immensely.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HomeTownGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 10:56am

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Nagy.  I'm so sorry you've had to deal with illness and the high bills that result.  I hope you are doing much better now.  I will indeed do what I can by word of mouth and wish you all the best in your campaign.  Middletown really needs a change for the better!

Janet

Deadlucky View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadlucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 12:23pm
I am willing to place Mr. Nagys' signs for election to city council on my property and if someone  (current council members) wants to come steal my signs I have a Shotgun at the ready and 3 big dogs to protect  my property and my rights as an American citizen!!! So any of you crooked council members think you want to violate my rights come and try !!! If you are caught on my property stealing you could be shot or eaten!!!  It is time for new blood in city council!!!
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 8:40pm
Hey Vet,
You are right once again. I did not have the time or money to waste on them since I was in the middle of the campaign in 07. After my meeting with the city I made it perfectly clear though that there would be no more gentlemen's agreements. So far this year none has disappeared. But I believe all of the candidates (HMMMMMM) got a letter from the city manager on the same sign ordinance that is still on record that does not specifically say what is exactly the right of way when there is no sidewalks. From my understanding it is  a judgement call by street/maintenance or whoever wants to pull the signs up. We were out on a cruise the other day. We went thru Gratis, Germantown, Camden, Eaton, Monroe, Oxford, Preble CO. etc. and guess what we seen? People had signs between the sidewalk and curb or where there was no sidewalk the sign was approx 2 feet from the road. I find it odd that Middletown has to be so picky about signs that are only up for 30 days. Wouldn't you agree?
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 11:29am
The sign ordinance is like many other ordinances in Middletown, it is selectively enforced. Many ordinances in town are put on the books but only enforced to control those that want positive changes. Many others are twisted to be used for the same purposes. Until we force a change in city personnel and attitude, we will continue to have city employees use their positions to protect their jobs and try to intimidate citizens (think of the resent happenings at the Pioneer Cemetery). It doesn't matter how much damage they do to our city or our reputation, as long as they make their six figure incomes and $28,000 benny package.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 11:49am

VOTE
NICK KIDD
for
MAYOR
(OOOPS THAT”S THE NEXT ELECTION)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic