FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No way Jack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No way Jack
    Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 9:42am
After reading my friend's(Mr.Wolf) letter to the editor this morning, I must respectfully disagree with his thinking towards the up-coming Council elections.

Mr.Wolf favors continuity by returning Mr.Marconi and Mr.Armbruster in order to keep the current method of City operation and direction intact. I couldn't disagree more.  These two fine gentleman have had 4 years to bring positive change to our city in a myriad of ways, yet they have offered very few meaningful initiatives. They have also championed the admin approach of evolving Middletown into the poverty capital of SW Ohio. IMO both gentlemen should be removed from office, then thanked for their level of time expended + caring involvement in favor of new blood/leadership that will change direction(and possibly faces) in city admin.

The Section 8/poverty levels must somehow be decreased. We can't allow these programs to sustain or increase since they are strangling our school system, public safety and the business community. While I applaud Mr.Atkins' effort to clean up and organize his inherited mess(also thanks to Mr.Self for his on the job efforts and subsequent informational posts on this forum), I cannot support this pending direction and see it as the final nail in the coffin as far as any community re-birth economically.

We have created a city that is now geographically divided, with the west end engulfed in low-income neighborhoods. These neighborhoods simply do not have the working households and income level to sustain any type of local business support, be it retail or service. Once we get by the subsidized income at the beginning of each month, there is simply no money to spend anywhere. Just look at our current business community and employment options. Few to no long-term employment anywhere, and business closings blanketing every area of the city from the area formerly known as downtown to the area formerly known as Towne Mall. Empty storefronts and strip malls are the norm. This has been on-going for years, STILL moving in the wrong direction.

I put no blame on the Section 8 and low-income residents/recipients. They are doing what they must to survive. They absolutely must use the system/services available. They have come here because of long-term city policy.

It comes down to the preferred direction of Council, who theoretically controls Admin. If Council chooses to send the city in another direction, they can simply direct Admin to move in that direction or move on. The same "movers and shakers and stakeholders" so revered by so few are responsible for the current demise of our community.  It is time for them to step back and release their death grip in favor of a new generation of local leaders. This process may go slowly or sideways at first, however with time the proper new faces will emerge and take us in a new progressive direction towards a realistic area re-birth.

Currently no businesses are attracted to a community with such huge % pockets of no income. Businesses come and grow in clusters where they can feed off one another. Same with retail--people shop where they have convenient optionS. We no longer have any of that. Residents are drawn to a community because of a sterling school system, proximity to shopping,dining and leisure activities along with a safe constructive non-divisive environment. We no longer have that here.

So--if you want more of the same, and favor the city reputation to be 54% poverty in order to attract pie in the sky "free money" from the fed(YOUR(AND YOUR CHILDRENS') FUTURE TAX MONEY)), VOTE IN THE INCUMBANTS. IF YOU WANT TO ROLL THE DICE TO BRING CHANGE STARTING NOW, ELECT NEW FACES. THE TOWN YOU SAVE WILL BE YOUR OWN. 

Mr.Nagy makes very good points in his recent posts, and the connection is un-deniable. It is a shame that it has taken an east end group to attract attention, while many inner-city concerns have voiced these same opinions for years. While Mr.Nagy's opponant Mr.Picard has very good ideas and would be a good Council rep also, he represents the thinking of MMF and would most assuredly create a voting bloc with Mr.Becker and Mr.Mulligan(both of whom have served for years and bear responsibility for our current malaise--like it or not).

Please consider a vote for change in all wards. It won't come quickly or easily, but it will come with time. We are in deep because of flawed long-term thinking, and the turnaround will take a long while. Still- we must start this turnaround immediately. I can't see it happening if the current Council makeup continues.
What is YOUR thinking?
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:08am
We as a city CANNOT chance the future of our community to inexperienced candidates!!!  We ARE MUCH better off as a city by returning Marconi and Armbruster....they've been there, they know the issues, they don't have to go through the learning curve and they know what's going on!!!!!  That alone is more than that guy running from ward 1 and that guy from ward 3.....I cant remember the challengers names!!!!

On November 3rd.....................VOTE ARMBRUSTER and MARCONI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:16am
Murdock....We've been chancing our city on the current group for 4 years. Tell us what fine accomplishments these 2 have brought us!!
  Since you can't remember the challenger's names, I'd say you aren't well informed!!!

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:27am

Yup Marconi and Armbruster know the issues:

Let's see Armbruster no reduction in Section 8 currently.  Marconi we have reduced Section 8 to 1550+/- Vouchers.  Wait according to Marconi we need HUD's approval before we reduce Vouchers.

Marconi and Armbruster should know the issues as both are business owner, the problem in they don't.  If they did they would know businesses do not locate to city's with:

High Poverty 22+%
A City where a significant number of the residents have  no significant disposable income to spend .
Poor School performance lowest in Butler County.
Increasing crime
Poor infrastructure and no system of Maintenance for that infrastructure.
High taxes.
Excessive Section 8/Public housing.  Highest per capita in Ohio, from what I have seen.
1000+ vacant uninhabitable houses.
A significant portion of the single family homes are rental units rather than owner occupied.
A City administration which is not only not business friendly but also not citizen friendly in recent years.
Businesses are vacating the city at an alarming rate.

Personally I don't see where we need continuity of the current above problems and situation.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:29am
Right on the Mark Spider, as stated many times before by others on this forum.
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:46am
spiderjohn, as usual, your Will Rogers commonsense eloquently stated is spot-on. I've spoken to all council members over two decades and have always been astounded by the general lack of deep comprehension of business, what drives it, what is a stratgic thrust, financial analysis, and vision. For years, the same group of city leaders and council have driven Middletown into the ground, on the whim certain actions will have an impact which is never manifested.

In my opinion, one of the most blatant example of cavaliar mindset and ineptitude was Marci Andrews avocation for the approximate $250,000. spent on the land grab from Franklin; her illogical argument- 'you have to spend money to earn money.' Her experience was a trial attorney, but that did not translate into a winning decision. The Journal's own endorsement and reasoning defeats soundly any reasonble thinking individual's perspective on choice. It is extended based upon experience and a steep learning curve.

If it takes a council person two years as Mr. Armbruster to understand the workings of the city, obviously such a rudimentary position and comprehension is much too much for those on council presently and in the past. Those experienced council members didn't even know THEY were the ones whom had brought in the overabundance of Section 8, and I do agree with your passion and humanity with anyone suffering financial hardship. In this economy, unless you are a city worker or teach school (tenured through union abuse and manipulation), there are $250 Kk executives laid off.

It is also in sharp contrast the Journal was a staunch advocate for Obama on the premise of change, but such an ally for the experience required to maintain a bi-monthly seat on city council. However, like Obama's lack of experience, and probably the true reason he won election, it couldn't be any worse in electing new members, cleaning the slate for those intending to keep feeding the city beast which requires so much care, and attention (and $$$), instead of making cuts and improving efficiencies as so many other municipalities have been required to do. The city has destroyed not only the city, but also every individual's property value.

As for Murdock's assertion experience of Marconi and Armbruster are an asset based upon experience, it can be no worse than electing a President who had no experience even as a junior Senator, and I think anyone who is open to true untilitariasm looking after the good of the majority, and not the minority, although Mr. Mulligan uses that phrase often to support his positions, is a superior improvement from the sitting members today who will be on the learning curve in the second term, and still will be wondering 'what happended to Middletown, 'we were going to be the biotech capital of the world' and 'lets bring it back to the good old days, back in the 60's, when the city was All-American instead of the iconic image of a has been town incapable of adapting to change, and focusing upon the majority of its constituents, than a few hundred. 

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 11:09am
Good statement Spider ! Clap

There is absolutely no logic what so ever for wanting Marconi & Armbruster re-elected. As for the experience of the two over the past 4 years,that is mute. There is no experience between the two. If either or both members ran their business the way they have run this city they would have been out of business years ago. You can not operate by being nothing more than a yes man. It may get you to your destination but eventually you will fall,and hard.

Middeltown needs a 100% turnover in administration, this would include city manager,community revitalization director, planning director and anyone even associated with any of these plus supervisors & other directors.

I believe it was the Koreans and the maker of Hyundai who said "If there is a problem with the company it's not the fault of the employees, they are just doing what they are told to do, it's the fault of upper management." The same thing applies to Middletown. Our problems are not the fault of citizens or business owners, it's city management and thats where the fault lies and the changes have to be made.
alldaywatching View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alldaywatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 2:36pm
I agree that this city needs a complete turn around. Murdock, look around your city, its dead, Marconi and Armbruster have played a hand in this. I would rather trust Laubach and Barge to try and make a difference. At least we know they dont have an agenda. If you listen to Marconi and Armbruster this city is doing fine. It is business friendly just dont hang a sign in front of your store front. I can t see how any one would want to keep these people in office. I wish people would take their head out of the sand and see our Admin for what it is....broken !!!

Its time to stand up people on November 2nd I think we should head down to city hall picket signs in hand and tell those at one Donham plaza just how we feel.  We need more than just 20 or 30 people we need a city to do down it the only way to make them listen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic