Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, May 4, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Community Revitalization Department Staff Layoffs?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Community Revitalization Department Staff Layoffs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Community Revitalization Department Staff Layoffs?
    Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 11:23am
Today, I was contacted by a City of Middletown colleague.  The following was shared regarding the recent announcement of Community Revitalization Department staff layoffs plus the proposed increased usage of out-of-town consultants:

Buidling Inspection Division

Two current Building Inspectors, Dennis Rose and Tom Huiett, will see their positions end on 12/31.  In additon, an unfilled Building Inspector position will be deleted.

Mr. Rose recently spoke before the City Council about his job ending during a citizens Comments session.  His sincerity and non-inflamatory comments seriously displeased senior City administrative staff.  As a result, he will not be considered to fill the Section 8 Property Inspector position.  Instead, the City will spend up to twice as much ($140,000) for a Westerville consultant rather than the $70,000 (salary and fringe benefits) it would cost to save the job of Mr. Rose.

Since senior City management staff have said that certain Building Inspection duties will be outsourced to a consultant, will there be an open, competitive RFP/Q process?

Neighborhood Services Division

A Neighborhood Services Assistant, Debbi Fish, will see her position end on 12/31.  In additon, an unfilled Neighborhood Services Inspector position will be deleted.

With the increased emphasis placed on housing code enforcement, how will Annette Accurso, Mary Jane Adams and Roger Mahaffey handle their jobs plus secretarial duties?  I'm told that special laptop computers will be purchased for them so that they can perform some (but not all) of the data entry functions from the field.

Community Development Division

A Neighborhood Improvement Advisor, Skip Batten, will see his position end on 12/31.  The only other employee in this division is Kyle Fuchs, Neighborhood Improvement Advisor, who has been with the City for a little over one year.  His background is in high-risk, sub-prime mortgage lending.

Given the large amounts of HUD funds received (CDBG, HOME and NSP) who is qualified to provide new and rehabilitated construction expertise for the City with the departure of Mr. Batten?  Who is qualified to undertake mandatory lead-based paint duties?  Isn't the City supposed to use NSP-1 funds to acquire, rehabilitate and resell 20 vacant, foreclosed homes.  If the pending $19,000,000 Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round Two grant is approved, the situation becomes even more precarious.

Other Developments

I'm told that no decision has yet been made by senior City management staff regarding the request of one targeted employee to have their layoff extended four months so that they will be vested in the OPERS medical insurance plan.

I'm also told that a newly created Construction/Inspector position is being created with the idea that one employee targeted for layoff could apply.

As for my position as Senior Planner (Community Development Administrator), senior City management will seek a replacement.  My question is, will the City undertake a nationwide search again and keep current educational plus work experience requirements?  Will the groundrules change again?  Stay tuned!

Nelson Self
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 11:44am
Nelson.....Mr. Rose is/was a difficult inspector to work with.
Always his way or the highway. A shame his work as an electrical contractor didn't live up to the standards he imposes on others. I know....I've dealt with him. He is one of the reasons that contractors call this city business unfriendly....although not as bad as Kohler!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 11:56am
409 -

I don't know Mr. Rose very well as most of my dealings were with Barbara Castells, Chief Builidng Official (retired).  Thanks for your input.  I simply want MiddletownUSA readers to see how the City of Middletown handles things "behind the scenes."
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 5:16pm
409 -

Aside from your comments about Mr. Rose, the purpose of my post was/is to present MiddletownUSA readers with some insight as to how personnel matters are really handled by senior City administrative staff.  The same is true for the number of posts that I've provided since April highlighting significant waste and mismanagement of HUD funds.  I've tried my best to enlighten the general public.
Nelson Self
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic