FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racism Is Ok If Your Black I Guess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racism Is Ok If Your Black I Guess
    Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

I've heard younger blacks call each other the "N" word quite often and always wondered why it's ok for them but not for whites. I think there is a double standard when it comes to this subject for what ever reason. Apperantly it's alright for them to degrade and call each other derogatory names and they think it's "cool". Let a white say it to them and you go to jail or get shot.

But it's the same way for people from Ky.(I'm one of those) We refer to each other as "hillbillies" but if someone we don't know calls us that we find it offensive.

Pretty stupid huh ? Confused

Not sure it's "pretty stupid," but you might find the following book interesting:
http://www.randomhouse.com/acmart/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780375713712&view=tg

It takes up precisely the question you mention regarding its usage by different groups.  Using the term is certainly controversial, but the argument can be made - as it can be made regarding other words considered derogatory to different groups - that by using the word, you're trying to change its cultural meaning.  You may not agree with that - as I said, it's a controversial argument - but it's an issue that people have written about in pretty thoughtful ways. 

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Mr. Dave Mr. Dave wrote:

First, I am not a racists person, not even close. But I am confused by something and was wondering if someone here could shed some light for me.

I enjoy watching stand up comedy and last night I was watching Mike Epps on Showtime, he is black. Can anyone tell me why it is ok for a black comedian to poke fun at white people? I am talking about 30 min. of putting down white adults and white kids, if a white man (comedian) did this he would be crucified on stage.

Why is this ok and acceptable ? I don't understand this logic at all. In my opinion a black man or comedian should be held to the same standard as a white man or comedian.  Someone tell me why this is allowed ???? 

I'm not familiar with Epps' comedy routine, but it's been my experience that comedians of all races talk about different races in their routines.  In other words, I've heard black comedians joke about whites, blacks, and other racial groups.  I've heard white comedians do the same.

If you were offended by Epps' routine, perhaps the better question to ask is why is race an acceptable topic for comedy?  Why does the comedian's race matter when responding to a routine?  Why can someone say something in the confines of a comedy routine that if said elsewhere would be deemed offensive? 
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 8:08pm
BO,
That is my point, we as whites are taught that we should just take whatever is said about us and our race because of a past the quite frankly I Had nothing to do with, nor did my family. I just think it is sickening that this is ok. That cable TV would allow it to take place. I am so tired of having to watch what I say out of fear that it may offend someone when the same people make remarks I am just suppose to over look or even laugh at.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Mr. Dave Mr. Dave wrote:

First, I am not a racists person, not even close. But I am confused by something and was wondering if someone here could shed some light for me.

I enjoy watching stand up comedy and last night I was watching Mike Epps on Showtime, he is black. Can anyone tell me why it is ok for a black comedian to poke fun at white people? I am talking about 30 min. of putting down white adults and white kids, if a white man (comedian) did this he would be crucified on stage.

Why is this ok and acceptable ? I don't understand this logic at all. In my opinion a black man or comedian should be held to the same standard as a white man or comedian.  Someone tell me why this is allowed ???? 

My guess its because we as Whites have been programed to believe all the things we are taught about everything being the White mans fault and we feel that we deserve to be humiliated.Maybe if a couple hundred thousand viewers called show time complaining about Epps racist remarks they would pull his shows and that would be a good start to ending racist remarks about us.But any White that would dare to speak out against this type of thing would just be called racist.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 1:12pm
Some "smart" person decided that a Majority group was the only one that could exercise Racism. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by nezitiC nwotelddiM nezitiC nwotelddiM wrote:

Stick with comedian Dave Chappelle.  He makes fun of everyone.  Wink

The best skit that Chappelle ever did was when he was playing the "blind KKK" member. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes the first time I seen that. He is good ! LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 12:37pm
I've heard younger blacks call each other the "N" word quite often and always wondered why it's ok for them but not for whites. I think there is a double standard when it comes to this subject for what ever reason. Apperantly it's alright for them to degrade and call each other derogatory names and they think it's "cool". Let a white say it to them and you go to jail or get shot.

But it's the same way for people from Ky.(I'm one of those) We refer to each other as "hillbillies" but if someone we don't know calls us that we find it offensive.

Pretty stupid huh ? Confused
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
nezitiC nwotelddiM View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nezitiC nwotelddiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 11:54am
Stick with comedian Dave Chappelle.  He makes fun of everyone.  Wink
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 11:37am
My guess, Mr. Dave- the black population has the NAACP, Rev. Al Sharton and Jesse Jackson and others to show up every time there is an issue with racial prejudice or discrimination.(complaint against a black comedian perhaps) The white population has no NAAWP, nor any other reputable organization that will lobby for their rights if reverse discrimination occurs.(comedy in this case) All the white population has is the publicly acknowledged nut cases of the KKK who are too radical to be helpful/taken seriously. The above mentioned representatives of black rights are professionals at creating news grabbing headlines and are masters at using racial profiling techniques in attempting to create the feeling that society should feel guilt about their plight. (as if every race hasn't had the plight issues in history) Their persecution is no different than the Jews persecution, nor the American Indian, but they make the effort to bring their plights into public view whenever they can. The Jewish community and the American Indian choose not to bring their historically poor treatment into the public's view as much. We pay attention to the black's rights stand more simply because they bring it to our attention. Bottom line- society allows the one way street on discrimination. Minorities get the press, the sympathy and the attention- majorities get ignored because they are seen as self-sufficient and can help themselves out of any unfair situation they are in. JMO
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 9:32am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic