FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Cemetary Hours

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Cemetary Hours
    Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 3:31pm
Starting December 5th the cemetary will now be open on the weekends Sat and Sun from 8am -3pm. It will also be open Dec 24th & Dec 25th. and every weekend thereafter. It will be closed New Year's Day.  I have volunteered to open and close the gates on weekends and holidays.     
On behalf of me and my family we wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Gary Barge                                                     
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 4:50pm
Thank You, Gary!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 4:09am

Gary
    I’m glad you will be opening and closing the gates at the cemetery on the weekend….however at some point the city needs to work this problem out. The hours need to be
8 am to dusk 7 days a week.
    Several years ago I opened and closed the gates 7 days a week until the car ran through the gates in a police chase and they wouldn’t let me lock them after that.
    They need to place those big red reflectors on the gates like they have on the Woodside Gates.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 7:18am
Well..... it seems that the city parks folks , Michel and his cohorts on the Keeping Middletown Beautiful, as well as Scott-Jones and others have been busy planting over 40 bushes/trees to spiffy up Douglas Park. Lends one to ask the question- if an effort can be made for this, why no effort for the cemetery? I thought the city had no resources to do these things. ???? Having seen this effort, can we expect this group of hearty souls to head over to First Avenue and start the "spiffy up" program on the cemetery? Isn't the cemetery a "gateway"(great buzz word used by our city leaders) to our past history?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 9:30am
I want to recognize/thank Mr.Michel,Mr.Lewis and Mrs.Hall(KMB) along with the very generous contributors for the excellent work at Douglass Park. Landscaping is what this group does extremely well, and their continued hard work and efforts should be better appreciated by everyone.

Thanks again people--you make a very positive difference in this segment of our community, and the choice of Douglass goes a long way towards demonstrating your commitment to our entire city.
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 10:14pm
 I don't get it, I have tried to side with Mrs. Moon on the cemetery issue, and I still do for the most part. But I don't get it, here is Gary taking the time to go out and open the gates for the community. But that is not good enough, I do agree that the hours should be a little longer but I am ok with them not being as long as long as it is open. Instead of saying well thank you Gary, you say, but it should be this way and when I did it it was like this. Just be happy that the city is opening the gates on the weekends and Gary has decided to take the time to deal with this. It's always about the negative with you.

And Woodside is a private cemetery so they payed for the reflectors on their gates, is a couple of reflectors really gonna make that big a difference at Pioneer?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:35am
Mr. Dave
    When the car ran through the gates it damaged about ten tombstones and wiped out the big gates and part of the fence...the big red reflectors may stop this from happening again.
    The hours are a major problem for people that live outside Middletown and those that will be visiting during the summer months.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 11:27am
I am with Vivian on this.  The city should take the responsibility for their cemetary.  Just like they wanted all the citizens to take the responsibilty of their property this year.  I am all for what was done at Douglas Park however if they could not take care of the plants that were donated at Pioneer - how can they take care of Douglas.  Regarding the hours the city makes sure that the gates at Smith Park are opened and closed nightly, how is this any different.  (I do want to thank Gary Barge for volunteering his time).  The truth is they do not see this as any interest or money making opportunity so it means nothing.  If I was the city I would build a small gate house for individuals to register.  Have a book for people to sign and tell of their family members that reside at the cemetary.  The city needs to take pride in what we have - or it is will never be anything again.  Right now we have individuals running the city that have no pride in the little things like the cemetary.  When you destroy the foundation of a house - it will come tumbling down - and that is what is happening now. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

I am all for what was done at Douglas Park however if they could not take care of the plants that were donated at Pioneer - how can they take care of Douglas.  Regarding the hours the city makes sure that the gates at Smith Park are opened and closed nightly, how is this any different.
Bobbie,
These are excellent point.  They illustrate that it is a FACT that the city hall is just making excuses about the cemetery and really have a hidden agenda.

Same with Keep Middletown Beautiful and Pride in Action and the Historical Society.  One would think they would all be supporting this HISTORIC cemetery in the SECOND WARD, but where are they???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 4:26pm

Mike

The Middltown Cemetery is located in Mr. Armbruster's 1st Ward...

wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 9:43pm
We here in the First Ward lovingly refer to it as the Ghetto. We probably have the most closed businesses, the most trash in the streets, the most neglected areas like the park on Rt 4, Aeronca's weed choked parking lot, the streets down town and the Pioneer Cemetery. The sidewalk on the little bridge across the canal on Rt. 4 is almost impassable due to all the debris, next to that is a lot where 18 wheelers used to park trailers, weeds and trash everywhere. I wish the city would come here and make them clean up, and plant flowers of course. This is a "gateway' from Dayton. It ain't all on the east side of town. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Mike

The Middltown Cemetery is located in Mr. Armbruster's 1st Ward... 

OH...well that explains it.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 10:54am
You know what I don't understand is if Middletown wants to be big in the Arts - then why are they wanting to get rid of the vault.  It is a piece of art - buildings are not made like this anymore or for the original reason this building was put there. 
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

You know what I don't understand is if Middletown wants to be big in the Arts - then why are they wanting to get rid of the vault.  It is a piece of art - buildings are not made like this anymore or for the original reason this building was put there. 
Excellent point !! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic