Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is the School Board about to make a Mistake......
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the School Board about to make a Mistake......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the School Board about to make a Mistake......
    Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 8:08am
www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com

December 31, 2009

Mansfield board offers out; Martin resigns

By MARK CAUDILL
News Journal

MANSFIELD -- The Mansfield City Schools Board of Education gave Superintendent Lloyd Martin a way out, and he's taking it.

The board called a special meeting Wednesday in which members amended the superintendent's contract -- which they extended through 2012 earlier this year. The board gave Martin the option of a one-year contract or quitting with a year's salary.

Martin, who did not attend the meeting, later told district spokesman Larry Gibbs that he would resign, effective Tuesday, the same day three new board members will be sworn in. Martin could not be reached for comment.

Gibbs said he did not know who the interim superintendent would be.

After the board met in closed session for 45 minutes, outgoing member Dale Musilli went over the amended contract and the reasons for it.

"It appears that there has been a lot of controversy swirling around his continued employment," Musilli said. "This would give Dr. Martin the opportunity to continue to work or to unilaterally terminate the contract. He can leave in a manner that will allow for minimal disruption and dissension.

"It is in the best interest of all the parties that this amendment be made to his contract."

The board voted 3-1 to OK the amendment. Domenick Danza cast the lone dissenting vote, and Vice President Deanne Osgood was absent.

Under terms of the amended contract, if Martin gets another job in Ohio, he will refund a prorated portion of the lump sum payment. Martin was the highest-paid educator in Richland County in the 2008-2009 school year with a salary of $118,230.

Martin, who started in Mansfield in January 2007, is one of three finalists to become superintendent at Middletown City Schools.

Board member-elect Chris Elswick, one of only three residents who attended the meeting, blasted the board's decision.

"I don't know what just happened," Elswick said. "He resigns and we pay him for a year's salary? What labor contract in the world lets you walk away from your employment and still get paid?"

Elswick and fellow new members Lowell Smith and Dina Davis all criticized Martin during their campaigns.

"So they are protecting him from us?" Elswick speculated. "It's obvious what's going on."

Martin can serve as a board consultant with no compensation.

Musilli would not comment after the meeting. Danza declined to explain his vote, but said he supported the board's decision.

Outgoing board President Sondra Asher, a staunch supporter of Martin, said a change was needed because the community's focus had shifted away from student achievement.

"They have made tremendous progress in the last three years," she said of students. "Many of our schools are turned around. They're not where we want them to be, but they are making progress.

"Somehow the focus is still on Dr. Martin, the board and what people think we are not doing."

A fuming Elswick criticized the timing.

"It is absolutely ridiculous that this board, on the last day that they have any power, would make a move like this," he said. "What they've done is taken our control away. These guys have no morals or ethics.

"Amazing ... absolutely amazing."

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 8:09am
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 8:11am

Superintendent finalist resigns post

Lloyd Martin is one of three vying for Middletown City Schools job.

Staff Report
Updated 9:53 PM Wednesday, December 30, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — Mansfield City Schools Superintendent Lloyd Martin, one of three finalists for the Middletown City School District’s top job, will resign Tuesday, Jan. 5, the Mansfield News Journal reported.

The paper reported that Martin told Mansfield schools spokesman Larry Gibbs by phone that he would terminate his contract, which was through 2012. His salary was $118,230 for the 2008-09 school year, according to the News Journal.

The Middletown Board of Education announced earlier this month that the finalists for the superintendent position are Martin; Greg Rasmussen, assistant superintendent of Wichita Public Schools in Wichita, Kan.; and Robert D. Sommers, who leads Butler Technology and Career Development Schools.

Middletown school board member Chris Fiora said Wednesday night, Dec. 30, he had not heard about Martin’s resignation, and that as far as he knew, Martin was still scheduled to attend a “Meet the Candidates” night next week.

Fiora said he had “absolutely no thoughts right now” on Martin’s resignation and that he had “no idea why that occurred.”

None of the other board members returned calls seeking comment Wednesday.

A “Meet the Candidates” night has been set for 5 p.m. Jan. 7, at Middletown High School, during which time the three finalists are to present information about themselves and answer three questions posed by a facilitator. The audience also will have a chance to rate the candidates, school officials said.

Martin, the lone minority candidate, has been serving as superintendent of Mansfield City Schools since 2007, where he has helped pass two levies in his short time with the nearly 4,000-student district, which had not passed any for 13 years prior.

He also has been involved in his share of controversy during his tenure, according to Mansfield school board member-elect Lowell Smith. “It’s been rough going here,” Smith said previously. “I never once said I wanted to fire Dr. Martin, but several other candidates said things like that during the campaign.”

Eight out of 10 candidates for Mansfield’s Board of Education said removing Martin from office would help fix the school district, which had an “academic watch” rating last year, according to articles published in the Mansfield News Journal.

Martin has said that many community members were having difficulty accepting “out-of-the-box, non-traditional thinking.”

“That’s the sad irony of this community,” Martin said. “If you talk with people who have actually worked with me they’d tell you we’ve been very effective at getting things done for children, but they want to hold on to things of the past.

“When people are out to hurt and destroy you, they make up all types of things that may be ... unfounded,” he said.

Martin said he thinks Middletown is ready to reach the “next level of achievement,” saying under his guidance the district could transition from continuous improvement to effective “in a short time.”

The Middletown superintendent finalists were selected from a pool of more than 60 “well-qualified” applicants, according to the board. Carney, Sandoe & Associates, a Boston-based consulting firm hired by the district, conducted the nationwide search and performed an initial screening of all applicants.

The job became open after former superintendent Steve Price resigned this past summer. Former Middletown City Schools administrator Norris Brown is serving as the district’s interim superintendent.

Staff Writers Eric Robinette and Kevin Aldridge contributed to this report.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 8:14am
OMG! I just read their Mansfield News Journal article,comments & their school forums. We can't afford this man,noway,nohow. If you think we have problems now,go read what he has done to their schools. It's horrible. We look like an A+ school compared to theirs. He messed up the Jacksonville,Florida school,messed up Mansfield School beyond repair & he runs their school board & tells them what to do. Kids run all over the place & he doesn't care about educating them at all only about money. NO-NO!
Midtown Mom of 2
1:49 AM, 12/31/2009

NO, Martin WILL NOT be missed at all. He put a gag order on us to not talk to the BOE members or Parents regarding anything said in meetings or anything in the schools. His leaving has nothing to do with support staff and yet another RIF. He keeps hiring more and more ADM.'s that are friends of his and that's where all the funds have gone, along with his trips (vacations) on our tax dollars. He's a joke and nobody should hire him except a used car lot.
MCS Employee
1:33 AM, 12/31/2009

Don't know who "Loyalteacher" is but he/she is lying through their teeth. I've been here over 16 yrs. and never have I seen such a mess. It's going to take 5 -8 yrs. to undo what Martin has done. He hates white people. He stated in public: "White Teachers can't teach black students." He's been nothing but an embarrassment to us. We're nearly broke due to him hiring so many friends as ADM.'s at big wages. Our kids don't have books and we have no funds after two levies and future tax requests.
MCS Employee
1:28 AM, 12/31/2009

Why would your school board even consider Martin for Super? He's a little man with a big ego. He spent our money to redecorate his office & we have a new school. He took lots of trips on our money by lying that he's speaking at different conferences & is never in the schools. He hired his unqualified friends at huge wages with no licenses or college education. You'll be broke in a year or less. He knows our 3 new elects want an audit & he left because he knows he should be in prison for fraud.
Tyger Alum
1:20 AM, 12/31/2009

MCSD is in such bad shape no one should be hired as Super if they have any School Administration experience. Another career Bureaucrat is going to do nothing but same old nonsense. We need some non-PC Business type take will do what is needed.
Larry
1:18 AM, 12/31/2009

I was raised in the district during a time when #1 was teacher respect, #2 was learning and three was Q the teacher for information. Parents didn't set loud-mouthed examples for students to think that "over-talking" a teacher and others of respect was the way it should be. Funny, students thrived and were proud to continue in education. There are only 2 goals- learning or preparing for a future vocation. Too bad Middie schools are the asylum run by the inmates. Good Luck Middletown.
A Middie from History
12:56 AM, 12/31/2009

Dr. Martin will be missed. If Middletown is lucky, he will accept your offer, whatever it may be. People in Mansfield wanted him out because they couldn't handle the truth...that cuts had to be made and new people had to be brought in. Martin did his job, and was forced to resign because of it. Shame on Mansfield, and enjoy the benefits, Middletown. I am white, so don't think this is a racial issue, as some in Mansfield has made this out to be. Hire him now, before someone else does! He's great!
loyalteacher
12:50 AM, 12/31/2009

TO MIDDLETOWN TAXPAYERS & BOE: Do diligent research on this man. He has ruined Mansfield School System. Being a minority candidate he will throw that up in your face every chance he gets. He wants segregation again and his own hires, not yours. He's a con artist, dishonest and only cares about his paycheck. He travels a lot on the school dime and couldn't care less about any discipline issues. Do yourselves a big favor and forget about him. He just got caught up in his own lies here and knew it.
Mansfield educator
12:18 AM, 12/31/2009

He resigned because he should have been PROSECUTED! Middletown DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THIS GUY!
someone who knows
11:48 PM, 12/30/2009

All this school board wants is a puppet!!
Middie moms club
11:38 PM, 12/30/2009

I just read the 42 comments posted on the Mansfield Journal's site - sounds like this guy was very much disliked by the Mansfield community and the people are happy he has resigned. One even said to Middletown - do not hire this guy.
read mansfield newspaper
11:21 PM, 12/30/2009

Middletown already has a long, sad record of passing levies and throwing money at a school system that fails its children and its community.

Since a change is obviously in order, why is this guy even on the radar screen? He would be maintaining the status quo.

Where, or where, is the superintendent that will enact safety/discipline as THE TOP PRIORITY? Read Maslow's hierarchy. Safety comes before esteem, if learning is the goal.

When will learning be the admin's goal at Middletown?
Local Teacher
9:30 PM, 12/30/2009

I think it would be wise for your community to realize that in my opinion this candidate for superintendent resigned because his actions were going to face scrutiny from newly elected board members set to be sworn in on Tuesday January 5th. Please encourage your board of education to act wisely in a choice for a superintendent. Mansfield City Schools has paid a big price for the actions of the board members in the past several years. Best to you.
Tina
9:03 PM, 12/30/2009

Anybody take the time to go to the Mansfield News Journal and see what they think about Mr. Martin and his leaving their district? We don't want more of the same.
midtonian
9:00 PM, 12/30/2009
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 9:06am
Mercy!- why is this guy even being considered? He's got so much baggage and all of it is negative from the folks in Mansfield. Anyone taking bets that this guy will be the next super- knowing our Midd. school board and their illogical decision-making and past history of poor super selection? Remember- if it makes no sense. Costs a large sum of money. Makes absolutely no positive improvements for the money expended. Angers the majority of people in town and ends up a failure....... there's a 99 and 44/100 % chance the school board or the council was involved. Oh, and yeah, another negative comment thrown out for scrutiny. I apologize, in advance, positive thinkers.   
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 9:18am
Any individual who believes "white teachers can't teach black students" has no business in Middletown.

I cannot believe of the 60 applicants considered, these are the three finalists.  Seriously, this is what the paid professional consultant came back with?  Middletown's super. position is a six-figure position, and probably attracted a lot of attention because who wouldn't want to earn six figures these days  But still, these are the three best?  A controversial guy from Mansfield.  A soon-to-be double-dipper from Butler Tech--and at his age probably won't be with the district long-term.

Anybody got the scoop on the last guy remaining?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 11:07am

Vet - your probably 100% right !! Knowing our board they'll hire someone like this just to P**s us all off. Thumbs%20Down

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 3:16pm
your new super in Bob Sommers.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 8:09pm
Post deleted Pinch  by me LOL
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 11:12pm

My understanding is that there is going to be a meet the candidates on the 7th, but the citizens are not allowed to question the candidates.  I have read on Middletown Journal website that many people are opposed to the idea of Lloyd Martin receiving the Super job (maybe even the other 2 candidates as well). Are there any plans for protest i.e. picketing to express our concerns about the choices?

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 11:34am
I will be at tomorrows event, and I am sorry to say but I dont look for many people to show up. Dont look for any picketing to go on.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 2:19pm
Randy,I will be there hoping the board does not make a terrible decision. The district needs to heal and under a qualified leader. We need discipline, and firmness that we have not had for years. It is hard to belieeve that these are the tope 3 from a nationwide search, Martin was a failure in Mansfield, and judging by the number of Mansfield folks commenting in the MJ blog, it must be true. They all can't ne making that stuff. Sommers, while a good administrator in a tech sshool, may have shortcomings in a public school. Most students at a tech school want to be there. While in publi school it is the direct opposite. He has no experience with atheletic programs, fine art programs and dealing with levies. I don't see him as good fit, nice man, not a good fit, a double dipper. Rasmuesan (sp?) looks to be the better fit. Wichita schools is a lot like us only bigger. He has dealt with the poverty issue, 70% of students on free and reduced lunches, discipline issues, and test scores and their are improving. He is an ambitious educator and may be the very breath of fresh air this district needs.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 7:27pm
well come up and say hi
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 2:33am
Randy I would suspect that turnout today for this event will be low due to the weather and also, from the Journal:

"The three finalists are:

• Lloyd D. Martin, former superintendent of Mansfield City Schools.

• Greg Rasmussen, assistant superintendent of Wichita Public Schools in Wichita, Kan.

• Robert D. Sommers, CEO of Butler Technology and Career Development Schools.

Each candidate will have 10 to 15 minutes to talk about themselves and how they would be a good fit for Middletown schools. They will then answer three board-submitted questions on a variety of issues, likely including student achievement, district finances and disciplinary issues."

What exactly is the sense in attending a prearrange dog and pony show where the Public does nothing but sit there and stare glassy eyed.  This whole process has excluded the public for the most part, even though the BOE was stating they wanted Public input.   They then wonder why no one attends these events.  The same goes for the City. 

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 11:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic