Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oh Boy this ought to be interesting.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh Boy this ought to be interesting.....
    Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 7:36pm

Laid off city employees may get severance pay

By Ryan Gauthier, Staff Writer
6:05 PM Monday, January 4, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — City Council will consider severance packages when it meets tonight, Jan. 5, for seven city employees being laid off later this month.

City Manager Judy Gilleland said she proposed providing each employee with a severance package equivalent to one month of their regular salary. The amount varies by employee, running between $4,500 and $7,000 per person. The total cost of the package for all seven employees would be approximately $38,000, Gilleland said.

“These are very, very difficult and sad decisions to make,” Gilleland said. “But they’re necessary for our organization given the budgetary constraints under which we’re operating.”

Second Ward Councilman A.J. Smith said he would like to see the city offer the affected employees a choice between staying on for five additional months or taking the severance package.

“I don’t think we should be sweeping the rug out from under our employees’ feet,” Smith said. “We’re in tough economic times as a city and our employees have to make sacrifices. But my goal is to look out of the best interest of the people, not the government.”

Gilleland said she appreciates council members wanting to retain employees for as long as possible, but said the $213,000 needed to fund those positions for five months is simply “not in the budget.”

“There really is no way we can lay off one employee effective January and allow another employee to continue working for five or nine months,” she said.

Smith said he plans on “asking a lot of questions when (this) piece of legislation comes forth.

“I would like to see options for employees, but I don’t know what the majority of council thinks,” he said. “It all depends on what dialogue is going to be.”

Additional layoffs are possible in the future, Gilleland said, but hopefully not for the remainder of 2010. Depending on how council discussions proceed at the end of the first quarter regarding several unfilled positions in the police and fire departments, she said there could be “other ramifications depending on which way those decisions go.”

City Council also will vote on emergency legislation creating a special projects manager position through Middletown Municipal Court.

Council meets at 5:30 p.m. in Council Chambers on the lower level of the Middletown City Building, One Donham Plaza.

Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 8:12pm
One of the seven former City employees knows a GREAT DEAL about the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds (particularly 2003-2006).  They know about "behind the scenes" plans that led to the (2000-2005) explosion of Section 8 units here.  They could shed much light on past/current senior city staff and elected officials.

This person is a few months short of working 10 years for the City of Middletown and qualifying for HEALTH INSURANCE through the Ohio Ohio Public Employees Retirement System.  Surely severance pay isn't a guarantee for maintaining silence?
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

Laid off city employees may get severance pay

By Ryan Gauthier, Staff Writer
6:05 PM Monday, January 4, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — City Council will consider severance packages when it meets tonight, Jan. 5, for seven city employees being laid off later this month.

City Manager Judy Gilleland said she proposed providing each employee with a severance package equivalent to one month of their regular salary. The amount varies by employee, running between $4,500 and $7,000 per person. The total cost of the package for all seven employees would be approximately $38,000, Gilleland said.

“These are very, very difficult and sad decisions to make,” Gilleland said. “But they’re necessary for our organization given the budgetary constraints under which we’re operating.”

Second Ward Councilman A.J. Smith said he would like to see the city offer the affected employees a choice between staying on for five additional months or taking the severance package.

“I don’t think we should be sweeping the rug out from under our employees’ feet,” Smith said. “We’re in tough economic times as a city and our employees have to make sacrifices. But my goal is to look out of the best interest of the people, not the government.”

Gilleland said she appreciates council members wanting to retain employees for as long as possible, but said the $213,000 needed to fund those positions for five months is simply “not in the budget.”

“There really is no way we can lay off one employee effective January and allow another employee to continue working for five or nine months,” she said.

Smith said he plans on “asking a lot of questions when (this) piece of legislation comes forth.

“I would like to see options for employees, but I don’t know what the majority of council thinks,” he said. “It all depends on what dialogue is going to be.”

Additional layoffs are possible in the future, Gilleland said, but hopefully not for the remainder of 2010. Depending on how council discussions proceed at the end of the first quarter regarding several unfilled positions in the police and fire departments, she said there could be “other ramifications depending on which way those decisions go.”

City Council also will vote on emergency legislation creating a special projects manager position through Middletown Municipal Court.

Council meets at 5:30 p.m. in Council Chambers on the lower level of the Middletown City Building, One Donham Plaza.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 10:51pm
I wonder if the two garage workers that were recently laid off receive servenance pay. They probably were too low on the totem pole.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 11:46pm
A second of the seven former City employees knows a GREAT DEAL about how I was "railroaded" out of my job as Community Development Administrator thanks to certain senior City staff.  They're also aware of the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds (particularly 2003-2006) plus "behind the scenes" plans leading to the (2000-2005) explosion of Section 8 units.  Bouth could shed much light on past/current senior city staff and elected officials plus help me greatly in potential legal action.

This second person is a few months short of working five (5) years for the City of Middletown and qualifying for vesting in the Ohio Ohio Public Employees Retirement System.  Surely severance pay isn't a guarantee for maintaining their silence too ?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 12:41pm
Gilleland states that it takes $213,000 to keep these people for 5 more months and it's NOT in the budget but yet in another posting the city got $230,000 for this exact purpose ?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 1:11pm
Hermes -

You are correct !!

In 2009 the City of MIddletown received two Housing Recovery and Revitalization Act (HRRA) special HUD stimulus funded grants.  They are as follows:

1)  Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One:  $2,144,000 (includes $214,400 in administrative funds); and,
2)  Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program - Special Allocation:  $180,000+ (includes $36,000 in administrative funds.

In addition, the City of Middletown received more than expected CDBG and Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Programs annual allocations of HUD funds.  This provided another $15,000+ in unanticipated administrative funds.

Lastly, don't forget the Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher Program).  Because the contract with C.O.N.S.O.C. was renegotiated for a lower contract amount, the City of Middletown now has a healthy amount of Administrative Fees resources to utilize for staff salaries/fringe benefits, out-of-town consultants, etc.  My guesstimate is that this amounts to $300,000+ annually.

Contrary to the managed news that spews from senior City staff, there is more than enough HUD funds available to save the jobs of Skip Batten and Debbi Fish in the Community Revitalization Department.  What is really going on at One Donham Plaza ??
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 1:36pm
Thanks for verifying that Nelson.

I think it was Vet on the other posting that said "could this be misappropriation of funds" it sounds more to me like "went into someones pocket". When you recieve funds for a specific purpose then you eliminate that specific purpose and don't return the funds then can not account for or redirect the said funds then that to me is nothing but embezzlement. Perhaps there is a less strong word for it.

I know everyone thinks there is a shell game going on in city hall and I don't doubt it for a second, proving it is another matter altogether. I think there is an old saying," What is done in darkness will eventually come out into the light".
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 3:44pm
Just because these people are leaving does that mean the funds went somewhere they weren't suppose to?    Pretty thin there..............................
Middletown makes it living on Federal Welfare funds and they have it down to a science.....unfortunately.
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 5:25pm
They may not get the severance package. Some council members are against it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic