FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MUM DOWNTOWN CLOSES, RETHINKS FUTURE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MUM DOWNTOWN CLOSES, RETHINKS FUTURE
    Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 4:17am
MUM DOWNTOWN CLOSES, RETHINKS FUTURE

Miami officials have bigger and better vision for cultural center

By Marie Rossiter, Staff Writer Updated 1:52 AM Thursday, February 25, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — A new beginning may be on the horizon for Miami University Downtown, according to MUM officials.

MUM Downtown at 4 N. Main St. will close its doors at the end of this month with the hopes of reopening at a new location, according to Eric Melbye, chairman of the Campus Community Connection and associate professor of English.

MUM Downtown opened in early 2008 as a way to extend cultural arts opportunities to the Middletown community. Live music, movies, lecturers and book discussions were among the offerings held at MUM Downtown.

In recent months, Campus Community Connection has talked about changing MUM Downtown’s role and presence in the community.

“We are looking at rethinking and replanning our programs to something bigger and better,” said Melbye. “We really want to extend what we offer to the community.”

The goal is to have MUM Downtown not only be a cultural arts center, but also a place to develop off-campus learning opportunities, including possible classes, according to Melbye.

Discussions about MUM Downtown’s new location are ongoing, according to Melbye.

“We’ve been looking at different facilities for about four months,” he said. “Things are still up in the air because there are a number of possible renovation issues to consider.”

No date has been set for reopening MUM Downtown, but Melbye said the Campus Community Connection wants it done “as soon as possible.”

Contact this reporter at (513) 696-4542 or mrossiter@coxohio.com.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 6:38am
I know MUM wants to stay in the downtown area with their operation but if the criteria and needs are for book discussions, music, academics, movies and lectures, wouldn't Roosevelt school on Central fit the bill? Roosevelt has a very nice auditorium where music concerts have been given for years. (Valda Wilkerson's music concerts come to mind). It would be a nice venue for lectures also. Plenty of seats. MUM could also set up some classroom work there also as well as provide some evening gymnasium activities for the community at the other end of the building. Has a cafeteria also. Meeting rooms for scouts or business activities, perhaps??????

The city, rather than to demolish the school, could sell it to MUM for a dollar. The city saves one of it's historical structures and contributes to MUM's mission providing culture and entertainment to the community. MUM gets an operational building without starting from scratch while setting up shop in a decent neighborhood. The only drawback would be the limited parking unless they could find a way to use the old track/football field behind the school. Just a thought.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 6:44am
Vet if they go to Roosevelt they may as well just stay on campus at MUM.  Personally I think downtown was a flop and they finally realized it.  Everyone on here needs to embrace three words......."times have changed".  The world around Middletown is moving forward and out pacing Middletown and a significant number of Citizens want to continue to reminisce about old buildings and what they were.  Unless someone here is a Millionaire wanting to do rehab on these old out of date structures.....they need to go.

Time to move ahead folks, the 20th century is over and done with.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 7:09am
Was just trying to keep them from bulldozing another building, Pac, that's all. At the rate that Robinette, Kohler, Gilleland and others are bulldozing the town, the only things we'll have standing will be a few water towers, some stores out by Lowes and the new community center on Central. Everything else will be open "green space" with no chance in hell for redevelopment. You do agree that with the current climate (image-thinking-business unfriendly, etc) of the town, that all of this vacant land they are creating (bulldozing), the empty land will not have a thing built on them for at least 20 or more years (if ever), right? Is this really what we want..... great expanses of open range in town?????

I do agree that the story has an underlying tone of "we can't make it work in downtown and we are trying to find a gracious way of exiting" theme to it.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 7:10am
ClapClapClap Pacman, I could not agree more!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 8:39am
Vet these old buildings are serving no useful purpose in almost 100% of the cases.  Yes there are a few that someone may want to save and try to make a go of, but those are far and few between.  If any developer comes to town does he want to see a dilapidated old piece of crap or a green space he can possibly envision a building on.  I agree Middletown has once again earned a business non-friendly name especially talking to some of the businesses east of I-75.

But Middletown overall does not project a very good "welcome mat" to anyone other than slum Lords that want some low cost houses they can buy and rent for Government subsidies.

Image matters Vet.  I will bet you a significant part of the reason AK left was due to Corporate Image.  Middletown no longer fit the image they wanted to project at the corporate level and their HQ was outdated so they left as a number of other large businesses have and here many of you sit fretting over old dilapidated buildings while the city burns.  I don't get it.  Either you get with the times or you vanish, I would say currently Middletown west of I-75 is vanishing due to City Leaders and Citizens lack of moving into the 21st century as the rest of Butler County has.

I'll give you a good example from my viewpoint.  School board calls around and surveys citizens on building a New Middle School or rehabbing the Old High school at about the same costs.  In other words rehab the Old High School or tear it down and build new,,,,FOR ABOUT THE SAME COSTS.  What do Middletown residents say, "let's rehab the High School".   What..... did Middletown residents even understand what they were asked?  I don't get the thinking of Middletown's residents.  

Improve yourself Middletown....don't just settle for patching the wholes in the roof if you can get a New School at roughly the same costs. think ahead.  Think about what will attract new residents to Middletown.  It isn't dilapidated Old Buildings, Section 8 and a 10-15 years of conversations on saving downtown. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 10:51am
Pac I guarantee you Black Clawson moved to Mason- Montgomery Rd. due to image. They were embarrassed to bring the customer to the Curtis St. location. I worked for them in their research facility when they left in 2002. The new, modern Mason-Montgomery Rd. location said to the customer, "we are a successful, quality company that you should be doing business with". AK, no doubt the same situation.

As to the school board calling around asking people whether to build new or repair the high school.......didn't call me. I would have had alot of questions for them before I responded. Questions like.... why do we need to replace a building that was built in 1970 and is only 40 years old? What was wrong with the construction that makes this building totally worthless after only 40 years, did you do any preventative maintenance on the building in those 40 years and why are there people living in homes that are much older than that with no problems? What advantage did we achieve in tearing down the old elementaries and building the newer ones so far using that as a barometer for this decision. If it does come down to an answer, replacement is the only logical answer as to cost, but I would still ask alot of questions to support the decision. I really wouldn't want them to spend money at all on new schools if possible as no one has been able to show me that a kid learns better in newer schools than older ones. Doesn't seem to matter as to results.

Saving downtown.....Section 8..... I think we all have made it abundantly clear how we feel about those topics. They are killing this town the way they have been handled.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 7:36pm
Miami is rebranding itself as one integrated entity. They will consolidate the branches as everyone knows, with a regional Dean, and that means taking the MUM and MUH nature of the brand out of the public mind. I'm certain the move downtown was a goodwill attempt by Miami to be a good citizen and also help polish its own reputation, as its name was tied to Middletown, in the second M. I can't imagine what would draw anyone downtown to take anything from MUM associated with a class, or continuing education. I still can't figure out what Dean Cowan's initiatives to be with her enormous interest in Middletown, other than she seems to either like being a good steward or has an interest in public adminstration. And they gave her a year with pay to find another job, or go back to the microbiology lab and petri dish. There's nothing significant MUM could provide downtown, other than putting 40-50 down there as a favor to help uplift the decay otherwise seen on every corner. Those folks could just as easily be on campu, but the rent is so cheap, they feel its a way to help clean up some of the destructive image downtown has. Maybe Miami at Oxford, now they are integrating, would prefer not to have Miami University downtown, or 'updating' their sign. Drive by the old MM sign on campus, its now Miami University.      
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2010 at 8:05pm
Miami Middletown Downtown was a flop because it was poorly located. It should have been prominently placed on Central Avenue, but instead it was hidden in the dark and somewhat hidden Masonic building. Miami Hamilton's Downtown center has been extremely successful and I've attended several very busy events there in the past, which is likely why Middletown has realized that a different space is necessary. Perhaps the former pharmacy space would work. The success of the Broad Street Bash proves that people will come back down for arts and culture if there is something interesting and affordable to see and do.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 8:58am
"Broad Street Bash proves that people will come back down for arts and culture"

BWA HA HA Tongue HEE HEE LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL HO HO HA HA HEE!!!

I nominate this line for the BEST JOKE of the year!!!

"The Bash" is a success because it is good times, Rock 'n' Roll, cold beer,  and finger food!!!

In other words, IT SERVES THE MARKET, just like every other successful venture!!!

Put some fat lady wearing cow horns on the very same stage at "Governor's Square", have her start bellowing out moanful dirges in Italian, and hang a few paintings of melting clocks and haystacks and daffodils around, and see how many folks you will get.  All you will see is the same old bunch of pompous, supercilious, hoity-toity wannabees looking for the free caviar and champagne--then complaining when they find out that the taxpayers didn't pop for the treats they think they so richly deserve.

The "Bash" proves once again that you can succeed if you find a market and fill it.  Unfortunately City Hall and MMF refuses to learn that lesson and instead prefers to try to "make a market" in the area formerly known as downtown using the taxpayers' money.  The ONLY market they have succeeded in making by their method is for low-income housing.

Well, low-income housing AND those three large, concrete PUBLIC BATHTUBS a block to the east, used by the local druggies.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:33am
Quote The success of the Broad Street Bash proves that people will come back down for arts and culture if there is something interesting............

Yup the band with the lead singer dressed as a woman and he/she goes through more changes of clothes than a transvestite is San Francisco, that is a heaping dose of art and culture.LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:52am
Right you are, Pac!!!  Thumbs%20Up

And if memory serves, didn't that particular band..oops, I mean symphony orchestra...draw one of the largest crowds of art patrons of the year??? LOLLOLLOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 10:09am
Well, everyone, including individuals, athletes, students, corporations, products, politicians, mankind, the rusted out old automobile, has POTENTIAL. the potential to succeed, to advance, to do well, to win a game. The problem with your definition of 'potential' is how does one measure it. If its a football team going 0-11 last year, is tts potential being met by winning one game the following year?

Potential is a capability which includes drive, execution, quality, and skillset. There is nothing that does not lack POTENTIAL. A tree has potential, to grow straight, produce fruit, but it has the potential to produce bad fruit and grow crooked. I don't see nor agree that potential has a significant meaning associated with Middletown.

As for Middletown and MUM, the library is open until 9 PM and provides a crowd to downtown. Or are you thinking along the lines, MUM will be an anchor that loft apartments will be built, and many will be moving to hear political debate with Ann Coulter and Ariana Huffington?  
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 11:23am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

...political debate with HeartAnn CoulterHeart and ArianaWacko Huffington?  
Now for THAT, I would pay a signifigant sum to see!!!  Save me a front row, aisle seat please!!! (On the RIGHT side of the aisle, of course!!!LOLLOL)
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 12:51pm
Memo to Middletown City Economic Development Team: This book will teach you how to position, its written by one of the best experts in the country, you can probably get it at MUM and save yourself $14,000. in expense for a failed marketing campaign.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 5:43am
THE NEW 5 YEAR PLAN and the development of the NEW HIGH SPEED TRAIN STATION AREA by MUM students of City Planning were used by the City to grant their wish list.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 8:23am
I think MUM Downtown was awarded some United Way funding last year.  I guess that $$$ just got flushed down the drain.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 3:33am

Bill
I believe that was the “Place Matters” program.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic