FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any News?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any News?
    Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 7:32am
Any news on the Sunset doggie park from Armbruster or has that died out for a lack of interest? Figured.....hey...... better check to see what Mr. Armbruster had come up with on this. You know.....a little brainstorming from Council on the critical things the city needs.

How are those new business cards with the new logos working out? (or is it too early to ask?) Impressing anyone yet? Anxious to see the new signage for the city. Bet it will just knock the socks off the new folks flocking to town.

You know....we can't let these crucial agenda items just wither away without revisiting them on occasion.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:04am
Vet - I heard yesterday that the city is applying for a grant to begin the dog park. So how ever long that takes.

Haven't heard anything on the new logo, but I'm sure it's impressive. Ermm
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:12am
I can't believe that the city(and ED Dept.) bought into the consultant's "branding" presentation. Seems that presentation is all fluff and words that are probably used everywhere.

"Bright Past" is probably a grammatical error, and really doesn't flow well.
"Brighter Future" only works if you accept the first phrase.

Personally, I think that this poorly worded logo would be an embarrassment if actually used(and it is supposedly approved with enthusiasm). As for new logo design--we still need substance behind the phrase to win over outsiders. The I-75 interchange is a nightmare to those not very familiar with the area. No service stations, and un-marked roads/entrances/exits greet everyone entering/exiting the city. Then you have the now vacant Putt Putt/Score/Dutchess plaza and the embarrassment of Towne Mall.  So much for Neyer involvement , Economic Development and city planners.

Actually, the east end I-75 entrance/exit to Middietown is the biggest embarrassment of the entrances to the city. Coming across the West Middletown bridge into the area formerly known as "Downtown" is pretty bad also. 

Atrium is as advertised--everything else towards the city is a mess imo.

jmo
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:30am
Spider:
Kohler's "planned development" is working out exactly as he planned!!!  He wanted it to look like there is absolutley NONE of that tacky "business or industry" in Middletown.  Everything is hidden, and hard to find, just as he likes it.

Doesn't do much to draw  any of the millions of out-of-town dollars that drive by every day into our fair city though.  It looks like there is no place to spend it, so folks drive ten minutes up or down the interstate where they can SEE what they want, or at tleast the signs that point to it.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:33am
Also, when you have little to offer--and no plan to change that status--RE-BRANDING in order to try to fool a few people is as good a strategy as any!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 10:34am
Mike, I heard that the MMF crowd are expecting at least 70,000 visitors a day to Middletown, resulting from our new branding (the MMF group will keep count). At least half of these will be businessmen that enjoy Middletown's image as the poor schools, section 8, slum, business unfriendly, terrible street, highest taxes capitol of the midwest. They can't wait to move their businesses here. The other half will be travelers that love to get off the interstate and not have to see those ugly gas stations or signs for any businesses. They will all let their traveling friends know were to find this along I-75, of course don't go toward Middletown unless they want a red light camera ticket. Boy, I can't wait to see to crowds and businesses flocking to Middletown, since we won't have to face any of the REAL problems of Middletown. Isn't it wonderful what a poorly thought out band-aid can accomplish.
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 10:46am
Go watch the last Planning Commission Meeting, it is all about the East End and those dredded gas stations and fast food joints, and long, two parts.  Pay attention to the CVS developer/consultant and Lenny and Grace Baptist Church Rep.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 10:58am

In the private sector, those whom do marketing professionally know you do a repositioning campaign once you have a knowledge of what you product or service focus change to be, the niche, what core values or capabilities you have, and then begin the repositioning campaign accordingly. In Middletown, this demonstrates the continued pattern of the city being a follower, as they have been for decade after decade.

Armco lead, and the city would follow. The same today: the hospital leads, the city follows. Because the hospital moved, everything is about the east end. Welll, what's out there? Churches, a payroll processing facility, several non profits, and the Inn. As spider said, the manner the entrance/ exit onto the freeway is a mess and really quite danagerous in my opinion.

Spider is also correct on grammar: Bright is present tense, not past. And slogans mean nothing, they don't stir brand identity until its already reached or accepted. What makes Middletown's future brighter than its past? You have to be able to answer that, instead of throwing a slogan against the wall. If nothing else, 'Memorable past, Better Future" sure reads better and shows a command of the English language, that Bright past.

They should just park a semi out there with a draped panel on each side with the new and improved branding cliche. They surely did this backward, but I assume they think that empty Master Plan is an indepth strategic plan, and the hspital is the start of a new industry.

This has reached a point where levity doesn't help with the wounds or disaster of the city constantly shooting itself in the foot. The citizen is paying the price, not city hall. I think Monroe seems to have it figured out well. If Middletown wants it, its a bad decision, so the right decision is to oppose it.  

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Spider is also correct on grammar: Bright is present tense, not past.

Since this keeps getting mentioned, I thought I'd respond:

"bright" can function as an adjective or as a noun; verbs have tenses.
In the phrase, "Bright past, brighter future," you have adjective-noun, adjective-noun, so a discussion of tense doesn't seem correct to me although I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I opened a grammar book.

The phrase itself functions as a figure of speech. I'm not quite sure of the proper term for it, but it could be classified as a polyptoton perhaps. Not that it matters, of course.

In case anyone's interested (and I doubt anyone would be, but what the heck)...from the Oxford English dictionary "bright" as an adjective or noun:

A. adj. (In general, the opposite of dull.)

1. Shining; emitting, reflecting, or pervaded by much light.    a. said of luminaries.

a1000 Metr. Boeth. xxii. 22 Berhtre onne se leoma sie sunnan on sumera. a1000 Guthlac 1258 (Gr.) a cwom leohta mæst..scinan beorht ofer bursalu. c1175 Lamb. Homilies 39 Seofesie brihtre ene a sunne. c1391 CHAUCER Astrol. II. §2 The altitude of the Mone, or of brihte sterres. 1513 DOUGLAS Æneis III. Prol. 1 Hornyt Lady, paill Cynthia, nocht brycht. 1526 TINDALE Rev. xxii. 16 The bright mornynge starre. 1601 SHAKES. All's Well I. i. 97 That I should loue a bright particuler starre. 1747 HERVEY Medit. & Contempl. (1818) 17 They will shine with brighter beams..in their Lord's everlasting kingdom. 1879 LOCKYER Elem. Astron. ii. ix. 51 One of the brightest lights that we know ofthe lime-light.
    b. of polished metals, precious stones, and other objects whose surfaces naturally reflect light.

a1000 Rood 66 (Gr.) On beorhtan stane. c1220 Bestiary 71 in O.E. Misc. 3 It make his een brit. 1377 LANGL. P. Pl. B. Prol. 168 A belle of brasse Or of brite syluer. c1440 Promp. Parv. 52 Bryghte swerde, splendona. 1552 LYNDESAY Monarche Prol. 152 In habyte gaye and glorious, Brychtar nor gold or stonis precious. 1597 GERARD Herbal I. xl. §5. 58 Bright Wheate..this kinde is fower square, somwhat bright and shining. 1652 Proc. Parliament No. 170 A great box of bright new cast bullets. 1723 SHEFFIELD (Dk. Buckhm.) Wks. (1753) I. 40 Teeth so bright, and breath so sweet. 1802 BINGLEY Anim. Biog. (1813) I. 34 The eyes of the amphibia are in general large and bright. 1842 MACAULAY Horatius xxi, The long array of helmets bright.
    c. of illuminated surfaces, of the day in sunshine, etc.

a1000 Elene 822 (Gr.) In ære beorhtan byri, ær is broor min. c1340 Cursor M. 13541 (Fairf.) Wirk..quen e day lastis brit. c1470 HENRY Wallace I. 288 Apon ye morn, quhen yat ye day was brycht. 1526 Pilgr. Perf. (W. de W. 1531) 129 Our soule irradiate or made bryght with the lyght of the aungell. 1737 POPE Hor. Epist. I. i. 138 The evening bright and still. 1832 MACAULAY Armada xxxvi, That time of slumber was as bright and busy as the day. 1871 R. ELLIS Catullus viii. 3 Bright once the days and sunny shone the light on thee.
    d. of transparent substances: Clear, translucent.

1709 STEELE Tatler No. 100 1 Which had purified the whole Body of Air into such a bright transparent Æther, as made every Constellation visible. a1730 FENTON (J.) While the bright Seine t' exalt the soul With sparkling plenty crowns the bowl. a1748 THOMSON (J.) From the brightest wines He'd turn abhorrent.
    e. fig. Lit up with happiness, gladness, or hope. Also, hopeful, encouraging, cheering.

1751 JOHNSON Rambl. No. 165 3 The brightest hours of prosperity have their clouds. 1815 MOORE Lalla R., Fire-worshippers, Bright hours atone for dark ones past. 1839 J. ROMILLY Cambridge Diary 14 Jan. (1967) 162 She is..very talkative & disposed to look on the bright side of every thing. 1871 FREEMAN Norm. Conq. (1876) IV. xviii. 193 Chances of deliverance brighter than any that had offered themselves. 1917 C. MATHEWSON Sec. Base Sloan xiii. 174 Toonalta's chance to pull the game up high and dry looked bright.
    2. Clear or luminous to the mental perception.

a1000 Guthlac 815 (Gr.) Gif hy hales word healdan woldun beorht in breostum. c1200 Trin. Coll. Hom. 119 e holi gost..alihte hem of brihtere and of festere bileue. 1741 WATTS Improv. Mind (J.) He must not proceed too swiftly, that he may with more ease, with brighter evidence, and with surer success, draw the learner on.
    3. Of persons: ‘Resplendent with charms’ (J.); beautiful, fair. arch.

c1250 Hymn Virg. 14 in Trin. Coll. Hom. 255 Nis non maide..swo fair, so sschene, so rudi, swo bricht. a1300 Havelok 2131 In his armes his brithe bride. c1420 Sir Amadace lviii, That ladi gente That was so bryte of ble. c1460 in Babees Bk. (1868) 15 In chambur among ladyes bryth. 1593 SHAKES. Lucr. 490 By thy bright beauty was it newly bred. 1605 Macb. IV. iii. 22 Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell. c1600 Bessie of Bednal Grene II. ii, He had a faire daughter of bewty most bright. 1704 POPE Windsor F. 232 Like the bright beauties on thy banks below. 1817 COLERIDGE Sibyl. Leaves (1862) 279 A bright lady, surpassingly fair.
    4. a. Of vivid or brilliant colour: used also with names of colour, as bright red.

1375 BARBOUR Bruce v. 10 The treis begouth to ma Burgeonys and brycht blwmys alsua. 1655-60 STANLEY Hist. Philos. (1701) 406/2 The kinds of colour are..Ten, Black, White, and the rest between them, Yellow, Tawney, Pale, Red, Blew, Green, Bright, Grey. 1697 DRYDEN Virg. Georg. III. 128 His Colour Gray; For Beauty dappled, or the brightest Bay. 1704 POPE Past., Spring 31 Here the bright crocus and blue violet grew. a1835 MRS. HEMANS Better Land, Strange bright birds, on their starry wings. 1836 HAWTHORNE Amer. Note-bks. (1871) I. 20 Wild rose-bushes..with their deep, bright-red seed-vessels.
    b. spec. Denoting tobacco of a light shade or colour. Also bright-leaf. orig. U.S.

1765 in Amer. Hist. Rev. (1921) XXVII. 71 Saw some of the bright couloured tobaco which sels So Dear in foreign markets. It is of a light yelow Coulour... The Inhabitants call it bright tobacco. 1933 Discovery Aug. 250/2 The [Cacao] moths have a preference for bright-leaf kiln-cured tobacco. Ibid., Enormous stocks of Rhodesian bright tobacco.
    5. Of sounds:    a. Clear, shrill, ringing.    b. Said of the mental effect of a note.

a1000 Cod. Exon. 79b (Bosw.), Sum hafa beorhte stefne. a1250 Owl & Night. 1681 For boe we habbe stefne brihte. c1250 Gen. & Ex. 2780 God sente a steune brit and he. 1872 J. CURWEN Standard Course 4/2 They are the bold..tones of the scale..but they differ in the manner of their boldness, one being brighter, another stronger, etc.
    6. Illustrious, glorious, splendid. (Lat. clarus.)

a1000 Ags. Psalter cxxi. 6 Bidda eow bealde beorhtere sibbe. a1340 HAMPOLE Psalter Metr. Pref. 60 To buske vs to the blysse ful brigth. 1548 UDALL, etc. Erasm. Par. Matt. ii. 13 Bryght and notable with miracles. 1593 SHAKES. Lucr. 1491 Troy had been bright with fame and not with fire. 1660 BARROW Euclid (1714) Pref. 1 Some of a brighter Genius. a1687 COTTON (J.) This is the worst, if not the only stain, I' th' brightest annals of a female reign. 1734 POPE Ess. Man IV. 282 The wisest, brightest, meanest of mankind. 1783 WATSON Philip III (1793) I. II. 232 Exhibited a bright example of the most heroic valour.
    7. a. Lively, cheerful, brilliant or animated in conversation, vivacious; the opposite of dull.

1605 SHAKES. Macb. III. ii. 28 Be bright and Iouiall among your Guests. 1710 STEELE Tatler No. 208 4, I would rather be in his Company than that of the brightest Man I know. 1885 Manch. Exam. 15 May 6/1 He turned up today as jaunty and bright as a young buck of twenty-five.
    b. bright young thing (etc.), a member of the younger generation in fashionable society (esp. in the 1920s and 1930s), noted for exuberant and outrageous behaviour (cf. THING n.1 10a).

1927 Punch's Almanack 7 Nov. [8] Since a section of the ‘Bright Young People’ literally ‘set the Thames on fire’, things have been a little quiet. 1928 D. H. LAWRENCE Phoenix II (1968) 526 Show me somebody, then! And she shows me some guy, or some bright young thing. 1929 G. K. CHESTERTON The Thing iv. 38 If the bright young thing cannot be asked to tolerate her grandmother..why should the grandmother..have tolerated the bright young thing? 1931 R. ALDINGTON Colonel's Daughter III. 142 The Bright Young Idiots, who seem determined to queer the whole pitch to the puritans, by being as vicious as they can. 1936 Morning Post 15 July 14/5 There is a section of the community..whose life seems to consist of cocktail and sherry parties, cabarets and midnight revelries... These are decadent ‘bright young things’. 1953 S. SPENDER Creative Element 159 Dreams of the Old England and the Bright Young Things.
    8. Of thought, conversation, writings, etc.: Animated with wit or imagination, lively, clever, brilliant, sparkling.

1709 STEELE Tatler No. 31 10 You'll certainly print this bright Conversation. 1779 JOHNSON L.P., Pope Wks. 1787 IV. 109 If he has brighter paragraphs, he has not better poems. 1858 O. W. HOLMES Aut. Breakf. T. ii. 10, I really believe some people save their bright thoughts as being too precious for conversation. 1884 R. W. CHURCH Bacon ix. 220 Some bright touch of his incorrigible imaginativeness.
    9. a. Displaying great intelligence; quick-witted, clever. (In standard English used chiefly in speaking of children or one's inferiors.)

1741 WATTS Improv. Mind (1801) 24 Before we proceed in finishing a bright character by conversation. 1824 W. IRVING T. Trav. I. 203, I began life unluckily by being the wag and bright fellow at school. 1883 GILMOUR Mongols xxxii. 367 A few soldiers not of the brightest or bravest type. 1885 Harper's Mag. Feb. 385/1 The child will be extra bright. Mod. (Ironical) He is a bright specimen!
    b. Sharp, keen, watchful.

1840 R. DANA Bef. Mast xxxi. 117 We kept a bright lookoutone man at each bow. 1860 Merc. Mar. Mag. VII. 41 The look out..is not a very ‘bright’ one.
    10. a. Comb.: chiefly parasynthetic, as bright-bloomed, -cheeked, -costumed, -eyed (also transf.), -faced, -featured, -haired, -harnessed, -headed, -studded, -witted, etc.

1558 PHAËR Æneid IX. Ccijb, Brightheaded Phbus..Beheld..bothe Latines hoasts and Troyan fort. 1592 GREENE Poems 85 Bright-eyed his Phillis was. 1598 CHAPMAN Iliad I. 294 Bright-cheek'd Briseis. 1632 MILTON Penseroso 23 Bright-haired Vesta. 1786 COWPER Gratitude 13 This wheel-footed studying chair..Bright-studded to dazzle the eyes. 1827 KEBLE Chr. Y., 25th Sund. aft. Trin. i, The bright-hair'd morn is glowing. 1850 MRS. BROWNING Poems II. 46 Thy little bright-faced son. 1881 O. WILDE Burden of Itys in Wks. (1948) 724 Light-winged and bright-eyed miracle of the wood! 1920 A. HUXLEY Leda 13 The bright-eyed bliss Perished. 1959 Times 24 Nov. 3/6 Arthur Jacobs's bright-eyed, allusive libretto.
    b. bright emitter (see quot. 1931); so bright-emitting adj.; bright lights, the city, as a place of entertainment; urban gaiety; bright-line, (a) Physics, applied to a discontinuous spectrum consisting of bright lines resulting from radiation from an incandescent vapour or gas; (b) Photogr., applied to a view-finder in which the area of the picture appears framed by a white line; bright work, polished metal-work on ships, etc.
1923 Pop. Wireless Weekly 24 Nov. 463/3 A new low-consumption valve, of the *bright emitter type. 1931 B.B.C. Year-Bk. 437/2 Bright Emitter, a thermionic valve in which the filament gives its normal emission only when heated to a high temperature so that it glows brightly.
1943 Gloss. Terms Telecomm. (B.S.I.) 29 *Bright-emitting cathode, a cathode, usually of pure metal, designed to be used at a relatively high temperature (e.g., above red heat).
1922 S. LEWIS Babbitt v. 66 A nice expensive vacation in New York..with the *bright lights and the bootlegged cocktails. 1938 F. D. SHARPE S. of Flying Squad iv. 43 She went back to live with her mother and promised not to come up again near the bright lights.
1890 G. F. CHAMBERS Handbk. Astron. (ed. 4) II. 371 The spectra of *bright-line stars. Ibid. 372 The meteorites in nebulæ giving a bright-line spectrum. 1954 R. H. BOMBACK Basic Leica Technique iii. 39 The most compelling new feature of the Leica M.3 is..the Measuring Bright Line Viewfinder. Ibid. 40 Superimposed on the field of view is the ‘Bright Line’ contour which shows clearly the extent of the image covered by any one of the three standard lenses. 1959 Which? Nov. 158/2 One camera had a ‘brightline’ viewfinderthe area of the picture was framed by a white line when seen through the viewfinder.
1841 South. Lit. Mess. VII. 769/2 It was a part of my duty..to superintend the cleaning of the *‘bright work’. 1912 ‘AURORA’ Jock Scott, Midshipman i. 10 The bright-work on the quarter~deck..shone like silver. 1933 MASEFIELD Conway III. 92 The lower deck was the show deck... There was..much brasswork and bright-work upon it. 1962 Times 25 May 18/5 The external brightwork, including the bumpers [of a motor car].
    c. In colloq. phr. bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, alert and enthusiastic; lively or active. [From conventional descriptions of the squirrel (cf. def. at SQUIRREL n. 1a).] orig. N. Amer.

1953 B. MERRILL Bright Eyed & Bushy Tailed (song) 2 If the fox in the bush and the squirr'l in the tree be, Why in the world can't you and me be Bright eyed and bushy tailed and sparkelly as we can be. 1968 H. HARRISON Technicolor Time Machine xiv. 139 You look very bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning. 1975 Latin Amer. 5 Sept. 275/3 Arthur Schlesinger returns to his old hobby horse of defending the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed spirit in which he first proposed the Alliance for Progress. 1985 Times 13 June 15/1 Britain's largest quoted [investment] trust..has amply demonstrated how successful the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed approach can be.
    B. n.

1. Brightness, light. arch. (poet.)

c1250 Gen. & Ex. 143 e sunnes brit, Is more anne e mones lit. c1374 CHAUCER Troylus II. 815 What is the sunne wors of kynd right, Thogh that a man, for feblenes of eyen, May not endure to se on it for bright? 1598 ROWLANDS Betray. Christ 57 O Sunne whose shine is heav'ns eternall bright. 1636 Ariana 17 Acknowledging here so much brights and beauties. 1667 MILTON P.L. III. 380 Dark with excessive bright thy skirts appeer. 1839 BAILEY Festus (1848) 59/2 Others..whose forms for utter bright Are indefinable.
    2. A beautiful woman, a ‘fair’. Obs.

c1325 E.E. Allit. P. A. 754 Breue me, bryt, quat-kyn of priys Berez e perle so maskellez. c1470 HENRY Wallace v. 607 Throuch bewte off that brycht. c1505 DUNBAR Poem, ‘In secreit place this hyndir nycht,’ I hard ane beyrne say till ane bricht.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:04pm

my point about the motto was that it sounds awkward.  Who EVER refers to their past as bright?

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:13pm
Bill, you are correct on point. Marianne, I respectfully disagree, as in the usage of BRIGHT, it serves as an adverb, placing emphasis upon the adjective or noun past (past may actually be a pronoun, as its not specific to a topic, place, or thing). Hence, its use as an adverb is completely misplaced. Please note below the reference to bringht as an adverb, denotes an emphasis upon a future occurrence, not past tense.

More importantly, it sounds incorrect, and is incorrect. But council won't catch th error...so don't tell them, it will be our secret.

Main Entry: 1bright < =au title="Listen to the pronunciation of 1bright" ="return au'bright01', 'bright';" = itxt="1">
Pronunciation: \ˈbrīt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English beorht; akin to Old High German beraht bright, Sanskrit bhrājate it shines
Date: before 12th century

1 a : radiating or reflecting light : shining, sparkling <bright lights> <bright eyes> b : sunny <a bright day>; also : radiant with happiness <bright smiling faces> <bright moments>
2 : illustrious, glorious <brightest star of the opera>
3 : beautiful
4 : of high saturation or lightness <bright colors>
5 a : lively, cheerful <be bright and jovial among your guests — Shakespeare> b : intelligent, clever <a bright idea> <bright children>
6 : auspicious, promising <bright prospects for the future>

bright adverb

bright·ly adverb

synonyms bright, brilliant, radiant, luminous, lustrous mean shining or glowing with light. bright implies emitting or reflecting a high degree of light. brilliant implies intense often sparkling brightness. radiant stresses the emission or seeming emission of rays of light. luminous implies emission of steady, suffused, glowing light by reflection or in surrounding darkness. lustrous stresses an even, rich light from a surface that reflects brightly without sparkling or glittering.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 7:08pm
I don't know what is dumber, using "Bright Past" or having a large brick gateway sign by Bob Evans that has the town's LONG name spelled vertically so no one can read it withuot getting into a crash.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:02pm

\Marianne, I respectfully disagree, as in the usage of BRIGHT, it serves as an adverb, placing emphasis upon the adjective or noun past (past may actually be a pronoun, as its not specific to a topic, place, or thing). Hence, its use as an adverb is completely misplaced.

Then we can agree to disagree, because your explanation does not make sense to me.

The word "past" functions as a noun in that phrase; therefore, "bright" is an adjective.

If "past" is functioning as an adjective, which you appear to suggest, it must be modifying an invisible noun, because I don't see one there. So, that explanation makes little sense.

For "bright" to function as an adverb, which you also seem to suggest, it must be modifying either an adjective or another (apparently, invisible) adverb. See above paragraph for explanation of why that can't be the case.

Finally, you mention that past may actually be a pronoun! If I grant you that (and I'm not ready to concede that), "bright" must be an adjective, because adjectives modify pronouns.

More importantly, I agree that the slogan could be stronger.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 9:43pm
I. Agreement reached in the ineffective slogan, and 'past' may be an adverb- "we drove past the city". Therefore, tthe slogan could be a double affinity, and completely in violation of the English Rules of Grammer. an adverb modifying an adverb.

'Past' may be used as a noun, adjective, or even a preposition past play_w2("P0101300") <OBJECT style="MARGIN: 1px" code="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" id=:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000 width=13 height=21> <embed src="http://img.tfd.com/m/sound.swf" FlashVars="sound_src=http://img.tfd.com/hm/mp3/P0101300.mp3" menu="false" width="13" height="21" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"> (pst)
adj.
1. No longer current; gone by; over: His youth is past.
2. Having existed or occurred in an earlier time; bygone: past events; in years past.
a. Earlier than the present time; ago: 40 years past.
b. Just gone by or elapsed: in the past few days.
4. Having served formerly in a given capacity, especially an official one: a past president; a past inmate of a cell.
5. Grammar Of, relating to, or being a verb tense or form used to express an action or condition prior to the time it is expressed.
n.
1. The time before the present.
a. Previous background, career, experiences, and activities: an elderly person with a distinguished past.
b. A former period of someone's life kept secret or thought to be shameful: a family with a checkered past.
3. Grammar
a. The past tense.
b. A verb form in the past tense.
adv.
So as to pass by or go beyond: He waved as he walked past.
prep.
1. Beyond in time; later than or after: past midnight; a quarter past two.
2. Beyond in position; farther than: The house is a mile past the first stoplight. They walked past the memorial in silence.
a. Beyond the power, scope, extent, or influence of: The problem is past the point of resolution.
b. Beyond in development or appropriateness: The child is past drinking from a bottle. You're past sucking your thumb, so don't do it.
4. Beyond the number or amount of: The child couldn't count past 20. See Usage Note at pass.

[Middle English, from past participle of passen, to pass; see pass.]

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 8:31am

While I have found this discussion very interesting, perhaps it has become more complicated than it needs to be.

Some bright people have weighed in on the matter, some brighter than others, perhaps many of the brightest people that post here.

The light that they have shined on this subject has shined brightly, some more brightly than others, and some lights have shined the most brightly of all.

Light bulbs are bright, brighter and brightest (adj.). They shine brightly, more brightly, and most brightly (adv.).

(At least I think so…but I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier!!! Lamp) LOL LOL LOL

jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 8:56am
My past WAS bright..... I worked in a lightbulb factory!LOL
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 9:09am
This morning, I almost past posting in response to Mike's comments. (Past- preposition)

Too many in Middletown cling to the past. (Past- adjective)

One may consider fifty years agom Middletown indeed had a distingusihed past. Past  (noun) 

I waverd as I drove past the city of Middletown to a better town, forever smitten with long gone memories of its storied past. (Past- adverb).

The city should set aside in the past, its plan to launch the new slogan it paid $14,000: 'Bright past, Brighter Future.'

Exclamation  
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 10:07am

This morning, I almost past posting in response to Mike's comments. (Past- preposition)

Wouldn't that be "passed"?

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 11:15am
This morning, as it was past eight am, I almost missed reading prose from the hand of Mike Presta. Past is  preposition as it would be in the previous citation (West Saxon 139).

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by jag123 jag123 wrote:

My past WAS bright..... I worked in a lightbulb factory!LOL
What a coincidence!!!

I once worked in a CANDLE factory.  I was fired because I refused to work on WICK-ENDS!!!  LOL LOL LOL
mocha View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 11:18am
I think a doggie park is a great idea.......How about down by the AK Pavilion on the river, if not Sunset Park.  That's is a beautiful area, and doesn't seem to be used much.     Mocha
mocha
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 1:05pm
Put it at the pavilion, the doggie excrement and urine can run into the filthy river and the area would not offend anyone because no one is there anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic