FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Demo Begins- Barb's Pub, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Demo Begins- Barb's Pub, etc.
    Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 4:32pm

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 6:25pm
When they get done demoing old downtown will they turn it into green space ?

Maybe one or two blocks could serve as a "tent city" for the future & present homeless. Maybe even put in a vegetable garden or two.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 8:57pm
Frustrating to see downtown in this kind of shape, but I'm not necessarily extremely opposed to these demolitions.

The Studio/Strand demolition is another story.

Any photos you can grab during demolition would be much appreciated, 409!
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 10:54pm
To Doug Adkins -

Once again, please explain how the November 2008 grant application for $2,144,000 in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One funding allowed the City of Middletown to undertake downtown commercial property acquisition/demolition?  Is it not true that said grant application did not include downtown commercial property acquisition/demolition as a component of this "stimulus" funded neighborhood residential stabilization program?

Furthermore, please explain why there's no public record of any amended version of the aforementioned NSP-1 grant application ever being submitted to City Council let alone approved by them?  Is there no record of HUD approving an amendment to said grant with required local citizen participation and approval of City Council?

Lastly, what does the downtown commercial property acquisition/demolition of a former church on Central Avenue and the adjoining Barb's Pub building have to do with combatting the destructive forces of residential property foreclosures in Middletown's neighborhoods?

These three matters raise serious questions.  Let's see if any City Council member has the guts to seek answers.  And, it surprises me that more MiddletownUSA participants haven't expressed concern over this questionable expenditure of $300,000+.  After all, HUD funds are taxpayer's money!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 9:05am

NRS
    I don’t understand how they can use NSP money for downtown demo or the property for the High Speed Train Station land transfer?

NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 9:18am
Miss Vivian -

Without an NSP-1 Plan Amendment approved first by the City Council and then accepted by the HUD Columbus Field Office, the City of Middletown can't do this legally.  That's always been the focal point of my questions to Mr. Adkins.
NRS View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 9:23am
Miss Vivian -

According to Mr. Adkins, the Community Revitalization Department will now focus on the NSP-1 funded residential property acquisition/rehabilitation/resale component.  This activity accounts for more than 50% of the $2.144 Million in HUD funds.  And, since there's a deadline for obligating funds in six or so months, why did the City wait so long to begin this element of the overall project?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 9:28am
Vivian - I don't believe NSP dollars were used for land acquisition for the Duncan Oil/Ohio 3C rail project.  I believe Downtown Improvement Funds were used.  But I could be wrong.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 2:04pm
swohio75
I believe $500,000 in NSP funds were used for the Ducan Rail Project and another $500,000 in NSP funds for the Barb's Pub purchase and demo
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2010 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3>swohio75
I believe $500,000 in NSP funds were used for the Ducan Rail Project and another $500,000 in NSP funds for the Barb's Pub purchase and demo

Nope. You are wrong. I studied both deals very carefully. The money for the Duncan deal came from Downtown Improvement Fund. I had previously posted this:

The legislation that was presented and passed indicated that the sum to acquire property as part of this deal was not to exceed $550,000 and would come from the Downtown Improvement Fund (I have no idea how much money is in this fund). The city is only acquiring the property and then land-swapping with Duncan. Duncan paid $275,000 for the property that includes the old Office Outfitters store in 2002. They paid $100,000 in 2002 for the property that borders it that had previously been owned by the Finkleman family. The purchased the station property in 1997 for $39,000. So in all, the investment for the property Duncan is swapping with the city is around $414,000. Vivian is correct in that there has not been a final dollar figure attached to the city’s purchase of the land that borders First/Grimes/Central/University for the new gas station/convenience store. Just that the sum is not to exceed $550,000 from the city’s standpoint for this project. From what I can tell, there are three different property owners: 1.) The owners of the strip shopping center 2.) Revelos family 3.) Finkleman family. According to the agreement, Duncan is responsible for demolishing all buildings on all property included in this agreement—even the property that is been transferred to the city. The one exception is the Revelos building, which the city has agreed to share the expense of removing asbestos—estimated to be around $60,000.

You are also way off with your estimate of $500,000 in NSP funds for the Barb's Pub purchase and demo. The city of Middletown acquired the building that housed Barb's Pub from the State of Ohio. Online property records do not list a sales price, so let's assume it was minimal.

They paid $100,000 for the single story "blue" building next door---the funds in the legislation were broken out as follows:

$85,000 NSP
$15,000 UDAG Funds

Demo costs of $115,000 were paid for by NSP funds. Bringing the total use of NSP funds to $200,000 not $500,000 as your indicated.

My information is taken directly from the legislation and online Butler County Property Records. Now whether or not these funds can be used for this purpose, I have not researched.

I think you are getting confused with the cost of the demo of the Studio. The Finkleman family gave it to the city for like $1. Cost estimates have been several hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the city had planned to use NSP Round 2 dollars for that project, if awarded. They were not.

TracyGreeny View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TracyGreeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 11:52am
Mercy! The good part about this from Becker is that he actually said something during the meeting (instead of sitting there like a toad on a log) and that someone on council, other than Mr. Laubach, needed to address the "city going bankrupt if we continue to avoid addressing union and other issues" The bad part about this is that we have been saying for months (at least since Mr. Laubach mentioned it and brought it up at the meeting when outside union people stuck their nose in Middletown's business) on this forum what Becker has just now realized (at least openly) What took him so long to say something? Why did Becker just now offer an opinion? When will the next councilmember speak up....better yet, when will a majority of councilmembers actually deal with the city union negotiators and say no, we can't afford your demands anymore? The city's financial survival trumps the union's happiness. If the city goes bankrupt, these same public union workers, who won't give an inch, will be walking to their next job and will have drained the hand that fed them.
Classic Bridesmaid Dresses/Black Junior Bridesmaid Dresses/Sheath Wedding Dresses/Maternity Wedding Dresses

Tracy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic