FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Green Space appears to be good

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Green Space appears to be good
    Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 8:42am

Detroit wants to save itself by shrinking

By DAVID RUNK, Associated Press Writer David Runk, Associated Press Writer Mon Mar 8, 4:33 pm ET
< id=yn-darla1 marginHeight=0 ="ews/common/pages/generic/darla/md?en=utf-8" Border=0 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no Id="1">

DETROIT – Detroit, the very symbol of American industrial might for most of the 20th century, is drawing up a radical renewal plan that calls for turning large swaths of this now-blighted, rusted-out city back into the fields and farmland that existed before the automobile.

Operating on a scale never before attempted in this country, the city would demolish houses in some of the most desolate sections of Detroit and move residents into stronger neighborhoods. Roughly a quarter of the 139-square-mile city could go from urban to semi-rural.

Near downtown, fruit trees and vegetable farms would replace neighborhoods that are an eerie landscape of empty buildings and vacant lots. Suburban commuters heading into the city center might pass through what looks like the countryside to get there. Surviving neighborhoods in the birthplace of the auto industry would become pockets in expanses of green.

Detroit officials first raised the idea in the 1990s, when blight was spreading. Now, with the recession plunging the city deeper into ruin, a decision on how to move forward is approaching. Mayor Dave Bing, who took office last year, is expected to unveil some details in his state-of-the-city address this month.

"Things that were unthinkable are now becoming thinkable," said James W. Hughes, dean of the School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University, who is among the urban experts watching the experiment with interest. "There is now a realization that past glories are never going to be recaptured. Some people probably don't accept that, but that is the reality."

The meaning of what is afoot is now settling in across the city.

"People are afraid," said Deborah L. Younger, past executive director of a group called Detroit Local Initiatives Support Corporation that is working to revitalize five areas of the city. "When you read that neighborhoods may no longer exist, that sends fear."

Though the will to downsize has arrived, the way to do it is unclear and fraught with problems.

Politically explosive decisions must be made about which neighborhoods should be bulldozed and which improved. Hundreds of millions of federal dollars will be needed to buy land, raze buildings and relocate residents, since this financially desperate city does not have the means to do it on its own. It isn't known how many people in the mostly black, blue-collar city might be uprooted, but it could be thousands. Some won't go willingly.

"I like the way things are right here," said David Hardin, 60, whose bungalow is one of three occupied homes on a block with dozens of empty lots near what is commonly known as City Airport. He has lived there since 1976, when every home on the street was occupied, and said he enjoys the peace and quiet.

For much of the 20th century, Detroit was an industrial powerhouse — the city that put the nation on wheels. Factory workers lived in neighborhoods of simple single- and two-story homes and walked to work. But then the plants began to close one by one. The riots of 1967 accelerated an exodus of whites to the suburbs, and many middle-class blacks followed.

Now, a city of nearly 2 million in the 1950s has declined to less than half that number. On some blocks, only one or two occupied houses remain, surrounded by trash-strewn lots and vacant, burned-out homes. Scavengers have stripped anything of value from empty buildings. According to one recent estimate, Detroit has 33,500 empty houses and 91,000 vacant residential lots.

Several other declining industrial cities, such as Youngstown, Ohio, have also accepted downsizing. Since 2005, Youngstown has been tearing down a few hundred houses a year. But Detroit's plans dwarf that effort. The approximately 40 square miles of vacant property in Detroit is larger than the entire city of Youngstown.

Faced with a $300 million budget deficit and a dwindling tax base, Bing argues that the city can't continue to pay for police patrols, fire protection and other services for all areas.

The current plan would demolish about 10,000 houses and empty buildings in three years and pump new investment into stronger neighborhoods. In the neighborhoods that would be cleared, the city would offer to relocate residents or buy them out. The city could use tax foreclosure to claim abandoned property and invoke eminent domain for those who refuse to leave, much as cities now do for freeway projects.

The mayor has begun lobbying Washington for support, and in January Detroit was awarded $40.8 million for renewal work. The federally funded Detroit Housing Commission supports Bing's plan.

"It takes a true partnership, because we don't want to invest in a neighborhood that the city is not going to invest in," said Eugene E. Jones, executive director of the commission.

It is not known who might get the cleared land, but with prospects for recruiting industry slim, planners are considering agricultural uses. The city might offer larger tracts for sale or lease, or turn over smaller pieces to community organizations to use.

Maggie DeSantis, a board member of Community Development Advocates of Detroit, said she worries that shutting down neighborhoods without having new uses ready is a "recipe for disaster" that will invite crime and illegal dumping. The group recently proposed such things as the creation of suburban-style neighborhoods and nature parks.

Residents like Hardin want to keep their neighborhoods and eliminate the blight.

"We just try to keep it up," he said. "I've been doing it since I got it, so I don't look at nobody trying to help me do anything."

For others, Bing's plans could represent a way out.

Willie Mae Pickens has lived in her near east-side home since the 1960s and has watched as friends and neighbors left. Her house is the only one standing on her side of the street.

"They can buy it today. Any day," said Pickens, 87, referring to city officials. "I'll get whatever they'll give me for it, because I want to leave."

(This version corrects that Younger is past executive director of group, since she left it last week. It also corrects that renewal work money was granted in January, instead of last month.)

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 9:18am
Leave it up to a bunch of political clowns to do something like this. Clown
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 9:51am
Hermes what exactly would you do with 40 sq. miles of vacant buildings that are nothing more than a blight on the land? 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Hermes what exactly would you do with 40 sq. miles of vacant buildings that are nothing more than a blight on the land? 

40 square miles of vacant blighted buildings....well first thing I would do is hire an outside source for advise, then I'd hire a company,outsourced also,to design a new city logo. Then I would,or actually prior,I'd move the entire downtown to another location and give it a fancy name. Then I'd apply for federal stimulus money and build a bike path. That always creates jobs you know. Then I'd get some more free money from the feds and replace playground equipment, you know how costly that can be. Then I'd put a levy or raise taxes for the schools, education is important you know. Then I'd get some more free money for section 8, that always attracts good workers & fills up empty houses, it's also a future tax base if they ever get a job plus it really looks good on the census count and that brings in more money too ! Exciting right ?!!

What was the original question ? Oh yeah,what to do with 40 square miles of vacant buildings that are blighted, well I'd get me some more free money hire a company to advise me on what to do with all this vacant land after I demolish all these buildings.

It's a comprehensive plan and I'm excited about it ! Vet is going to build a new house and I look forward to sitting on the front porch ! Big%20smile

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 12:07pm
Hermes, that's just the kind of sarcasm that sets off our city leaders and turns them against us. We need to "turn the other cheek" and start helping them build our great city using their agenda of destroying blighted areas and replacing them with homes occupied by the "less fortunate" while accumulating fed fund wealth due to the lack of job opportunities cited by our overworked econ. devel, department. We need revenue to operate our fair city and the economy is not allowing us to do it in traditional ways, so we must reluctantly rely on fed handouts while we "alter" the complexion of the income levels in Middletown. It's as if we are almost "forced" (against our will, of course) to make our town poorer. Certainly, our city leaders don't want to do that and will make the appropriate corrections as soon as the economy changes for the better. Trust them.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 1:59pm
Vet - ok you got me, now I feel lower than a water department sewer worker. I give up, I'll take the pledge.

"I pledge allegiance to CITY HALL of Middletown,Ohio, and to the FEDERAL DOLLARS for which it stands, one CITY under COUNCIL, indivisible, with SECTION 8 and WELFARE for all."  Big%20smile
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 2:22pm
"I pledge allegiance to CITY HALL of Middletown,Ohio, and to the FEDERAL DOLLARS for which it stands, one CITY under COUNCIL, indivisible, with SECTION 8 and WELFARE for all."  Big%20smile

Outstanding
Classic
HOF material

And y'all need to lay off of the brown acid!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 3:31pm
 Bravo, well done spiderjohn. The city should have had you writing the slogan and saved $14,000. Very nicely done!

Lamp
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 5:25pm
spider - I get my meds from Vet, he knows where to get ALL the good stuff  LOL
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2010 at 5:35pm
Hey Spider, you gonna lead that t the State of the City address on the 18th? I got an email from auntie ann announcing that cousin larry is going to blow smoke up our skirts again!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 2:57am
Don't know exactly what the Mayor can say, other than "Bright Past--Brighter Future"
Just open your eyes and look around---says it all.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 6:29am
Whatever the Honorable Mayor Mulligan has to say, you can be sure that it will be from the heart and that there will be truth and honor in his message. He is another beacon of light and a bastion of hope, in an otherwise dismal situation right now. Thank goodness we have true "can-do" progressive thinkers like our city leaders to guide us through these difficult times. As Jack Gordon says, "it just don't get any better than this".

Remember..... "Bright Past-Brighter Future" with these quality leaders. We can't lose with a team like this. Very clever/marketable, and, no doubt, took alot of intense, tedious hours to compile. Cudos to those who were so inventive. Right Hermes and randy?

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 7:21am

The MJ reported that Auntie Ann is out of town. No doubt she is seeking solitude to compile the Mayors State of the City Address. With the MMF'rs running the show I'm sure it will all be about rainbows, butterflies and unicorns!!LOL

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 9:25am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Don't know exactly what the Mayor can say, other than "Bright Past--Brighter Future"
Just open your eyes and look around---says it all.

The Mayor's comment says it all. It is one thing to remain positive, it is an entirely other thing to be positive when the Sink is seconds away from going under.

As to the Detroit Plan, I am afraid we are going to have no choice but to do that in many cities. I hope we will use better judgment in future about Development to avoid all this expensive nonsense in later years.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 10:06am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Whatever the Honorable Mayor Mulligan has to say, you can be sure that it will be from the heart and that there will be truth and honor in his message. He is another beacon of light and a bastion of hope, in an otherwise dismal situation right now. Thank goodness we have true "can-do" progressive thinkers like our city leaders to guide us through these difficult times. As Jack Gordon says, "it just don't get any better than this".

Remember..... "Bright Past-Brighter Future" with these quality leaders. We can't lose with a team like this. Very clever/marketable, and, no doubt, took alot of intense, tedious hours to compile. Cudos to those who were so inventive. Right Hermes and randy?

Vet - LOL As soon as I quit laughing I'll type. Ok, I'm still laughing but I'll type anyway. Your head is going to explode if you keep talking like this. Are you drinking Middeltown water or what ?!! I'm really worried about you buddy, should Randy & I go buy a straight jacket for you ? Whats your coat size ? LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 11:30am
Hermes.... the business of the city and the professionalism of the city leaders is nothing to laugh at. ( ) I applaud their efforts and their dedication to making our town a better place to live. It's alot better now than it was 40 years ago........Wait......I think I just made myself sick with that one. No straight jacket needed. No head explosions. Haven't been drinking their Kool-Aid. I just get high on their enthusiasm for the city to prosper, that's all. Mayor Mulligan is a delight to watch as he smiles (Stanley?) through the adversity that OCCASIONALLY occurs in town. Thank goodness for people like Mr. Becker and the rest of the braintrust to pull us through the hard times!    They are here to serve the people, you know!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 12:52pm
Vet - I hope it wasn't my version of the "pledge of allegiance" that has done this to you, no wait you were talking like this before I wrote that. Well anyway...........

Fight it Vet ! They are taking control of your mind ! I know your still in there buddy, come back to us ! Concentrate on them Bengals,that will help you fight this Vet ! Think Bengals it's like an antibiotic,it will kill the germs that have infected you !! Pinch
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 3:24pm
Hermes- your pledge of allegiance was every bit as inspiring as the exhileration I get watching Council in action every other Tuesday. Just seeing those human dynamos become ticking timebombs of logical, positive activity for our town is enough to excite anyone, wouldn't you agree? And I won't even mention what Law Director Landen (Oliver?) brings to the table each time he starts the bi-weekly ritual of emergency legislation. That's just the topping on the ice cream right there, buddy. Ms. Gilleland just sits quietly in her distinctive way, holding everything together from a management standpoint as we wind our way through this tumultuous time in our up and coming city. Again, I invite you and randy to join me in working with our well-intentioned servants of the people, as they assess our true needs that will benefit all of us citizens. I believe a bonding is coming between the residents and our city government with just a little more understanding of their daily perils.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2010 at 5:48pm
Vet,
I see that you are RIGHT!!!
I don't want to be LEFT behind!!!
I think that our city leaders will turn things around in the next THREE WEEKS!!!  Folks, look for great things out of city hall the rest of this month.  The time is right, the stars are aligned, it is inevitable!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic