FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

excessive yard sales

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
khazdar View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khazdar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: excessive yard sales
    Posted: Apr 11 2010 at 6:41pm
Now that the weather is warm and the days are long, my neighbor across the street will be having yard sales almost everyday, except when it rains, from now till.. September? I know they are clearly violating city ordinance 874.02, which is quite clear in the number that you are allowed to have each calendar year.

No more that four garage sales per calendar year.

I called the police a few times last year, but they wouldnt do anything about it. I really need help addressing this problem. Does anyone have any contact info or suggestion on how to deal with them? I printed out a copy of the ordinance and mailed it to them last year, but that was a NOGO. It really is an eyesore.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2010 at 9:39pm

Sounds like they are following the law by having only one yard sale that lasts 6 months,seriously where would I buy my clothes if it wasn't for yard sales? LOL

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 4:54am
Perhaps if you complained to the Commission on  Historic Structures and Landmarks that the yard sales are clashing with the historic nature of the oldest artifact in the neighborhood, you could get some action.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 6:26am
Try your councilman for your area of town. I'm sure they will address the issue.....maybe If you could get a response from the ones sitting behind that council desk every other Tuesday night, I would suggest you do a "Citizens Comments" in front of them. Take pictures of the situation and present them to Council on the overhead screen as you talk. But, then again, the Mayor and his minions will "not be prepared to answer you at this time". If they are in violation of city ordinance 874.02, address Les Landen the Law Director point blank in your comment and ask him his legal opinion on the excessive garage sales. I'm sure Les babes will do his best to talk to the police chief about enforcing this! Might want to try repetitive calls to the police department. I'm sure after 10 calls in a period of a few days, they might make an effort to respond rather than dismissing it each time.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 9:41am
Seriously - are there better things for our police dept to enforce.  But what is the real issue behind not wanting the garage sales going on.  How is it disrupting you - parking, noise.  I always thought it was best to try to get along with your neighbors.  Alot of people are out of work right now - let them have garages sales to make money. 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 11:19am
Maybe she should try first by having the nerve to ask your neighbor if she/ he need financial help, and if so, maybe you and your neighbors could lend a hand. If they like to have a saleto keep them busy each day, tell them about the ordinance. I've seen people daily selling trinkets, making probably .10 an hr, so I doubt if your neighbor is doing this for a hobby, probably needs financial help. Try being a good neighbor, and them ask what the issue is. If its a hobby, explain the ordinance. don't expect the police to do your dirty work, explain why you have a problem with it, and ask if you can help. A novel idea, I do, but sometimes people need a hand up. If they just like to have a shop daily opened, explain four is the limit, if that is what the ordinance says, tell them, and respectfully ask they cut back, as i assume your issue is that it undermines your neighborhood, being the "jot em down", than you being a snitch about everything.     
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 11:54am
I totally agree with khazdar, yard sales are so annoying.

The people that show up for one are always so nosey, looking around at others homes, peeking through windows and over fences, it's pathetic !

Who cares if the neighbor is trying  to make a dime ! Get a job !! Then they wouldn't have time for 50 yard sales a year. Besides, if your having a yard sale that probably means you bought a bunch of junk that you didn't need in the first place.

And if your out of work & need to pay the electric bill, big deal ! Use candles !! Wash your laundry in the Miami river ! (Thats not illegal is it ?) A washer & dryer is a luxury anyway. Maybe your trying to feed your 8 kids...so what ?!! Kill a squirrel ! (just don't eat any near AK)

Yep I totally agree !! Ban those pesty yard sales & garage sales ! We have an outstanding city here and we don't want anyone stinking it up !!!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
khazdar View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khazdar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2010 at 9:55pm
Do I detect some sarcasm here? The yard sales offend me because there is worthless junk on their front lawn every day. It is one of a thousand reasons why my property value has plummeted.
They and most of the people in this retarded excuse for a city are white trash. Moving here was the biggest mistake I have made to date. I don't care what I sound like, Middletown is way better off with me as a resident. I have a job, make decent money, educated.
Middletown only seems to want poor white trash, union morons, and section 8 housing. HA!
People whine on TV Middletown that there is no money to pave roads. No sh*t! They collect nothing in taxes from these redneck hillbillies who'd rather drink themselves into a stupor than contribute to our society. I cant wait to rent my house out and never come back to this sinkhole again.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 6:44am
It saddens me to hear these comments from a person who has recently moved here. IMO, you are on target with your assessment of the town, khazdar. I only wish that I could take you back in time about 40-50 years ago. You would have liked living here. The town was run competently, the schools were actually performing and had a good track record of success, there was ample choices for shopping, crime wasn't out of control, peoplel cared more and the people were hard-working and most kept their properties up, there still was and always has been a "redneck/hillbilly/Kentucky/southern Ohio/hilljack/white trash"......whatever you want to refer to it as......influence in this town as the steel mill attracted alot of ex coal miners from Kentucky to relocate here for steel work. BUT....it seems that the people back then seemed to take care of what they owned a little better than what we see now. The city, back then, didn't have the Section 8/welfare/low income syndrome that they have now and the city certainly had more "class" than it has now.

It's killing me too as I lived here during the good times and see it now and get a tad at what they have done to my hometown. Sometimes outside influence is a good thing, and sometimes it is a bad thing. That's why I'd like to offer buying alot of these people a one-way ticket out of town on a Greyhound bus.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 8:00am
khazdar:
Now wait just a minute! I represent those remarks!!!
I'll have you know that I contribute to society while I drink myself into a stupor...Wacko...by serving as a bad example!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 8:34am
Originally posted by khazdar khazdar wrote:

Now that the weather is warm and the days are long, my neighbor across the street will be having yard sales almost everyday, except when it rains, from now till.. September? I know they are clearly violating city ordinance 874.02, which is quite clear in the number that you are allowed to have each calendar year.

No more that four garage sales per calendar year.

I called the police a few times last year, but they wouldnt do anything about it. I really need help addressing this problem. Does anyone have any contact info or suggestion on how to deal with them? I printed out a copy of the ordinance and mailed it to them last year, but that was a NOGO. It really is an eyesore.

Hey you guys asked for it, All khazdar did was ask a fairly simple question and you all had to do the usual, gang up on him.  He is right to many yard sales is against the law and looks like crap and has people parking everywhere blocking up the street, etc.  It is bad enough at times when they just have one let alone a perpetual one.

Many people seem to be content with the status quo and Reputation that Middletown has as a backwards community.....gee I wonder where they get that idea from.Ermm

khazdar I would contact the Police Chief and if you continue to get blown off,  contact your Council Person and the at Large Council Persons, you might want to skip Becker and just go with Ms. Scott-Jones.  If that doesn't work head to citizens comments at a city council meeting.  Good Luck.
Sports Mom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sports Mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 8:42am
This is a Zoning violation and should be handled by the Planning/Zoning Dept. not the Police Dept.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 9:15am

CHAPTER 874: GARAGE SALES

Section

874.01 Definitions.

874.02 Duration and hours of sales.

874.03 Signs.

874.99 Penalty

CROSS REFERENCES

Garage sale accessory uses - see P. & Z. 1224.21

Special regulations - see P. & Z. Ch. 1272

§ 874.01 DEFINITIONS.

As used in this chapter, GARAGE SALE means any casual sale to the public, from the premises of an owner or occupier

of property not zoned for commercial use, of personal property, and includes any sale denominated as a garage sale, lawn sale,

basement sale, attic sale, rummage sale, porch sale or such other term for a casual sale.

(Ord. 2001-35, passed 3-20-2001)

§ 874.02 DURATION AND HOURS OF SALE.

Garage sales are permitted in accordance with § 1224.21 of the Codified Ordinances of the City, provided that no more

than four garage sales shall be held on any property during a calendar year. No garage sale shall be of a duration longer than

three days in length and shall be held only between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Items for sale, display signs and

other material relating to the sales shall be removed from public view not later than 9:00 p.m. on the last day of the sale.

§ 874.03 SIGNS.

Two signs, not exceeding four square feet, may be used for the purpose of advertising the garage sale. One shall be

placed on the premises of the sale and one may be placed off the premises on private property, with the prior permission of

the property owner. No sign shall be placed so as to present a hazard to motorists or pedestrians and the placement of signs

shall comply with the provisions of Chapter 1272 of the Codified Ordinances. Sale signs shall not be located on any pole,

post, street, sign or in any public right-of-way. The City may cause to be removed any such sign found to be in violation of

these provisions.

§ 874.99 PENALTY.

Whoever violates any provision of § 874.02 shall be guilty of a minor misdemeanor on the first offense. If the offender has been previously convicted of violating this chapter, the offender shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 9:31am
amen pacman
I agree with this new poster person also
the current situation just plays to our ghetto/hillbilly image(though that is exactly what we have become).
Sorry, new person--there really aren't any rules around this town any more.
Kinda just do whatevever you like.

Call planning/zoning
Document to whom you talk to and when-then expect nothing.
Try your ward rep or at large--expect nothing from Mr.Becker or Mr.Mulligan.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 9:40am

Would this not indicate a Police matter?

§ 874.99 PENALTY.

Whoever violates any provision of § 874.02 shall be guilty of a minor misdemeanor on the first offense. If the offender has been previously convicted of violating this chapter, the offender shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 10:19am
Maybe we are a little harsh - however it came across as someone that was just not getting along with a neighbor.  It sounds like you do not like all the junk left in the yard all the time.  If that is the case - then the issue could be called in to the city (not the police) to the code enforcement dept.  You can find that information on the city website.
Personally, I think you should try to get to know your neighbors.  Maybe you would find out that they really are not such bad people after all.  Not everyone will be perfect like you khazdar.  I think anyone would tell you Middletown has a lot of issues, but not one resident will ever make it a better place.  So get off your high horse - you are no better then anyone else - job, education, ancestry - means nothing - it is what you do that makes the person. After reading your last post - you sound like the least educated person to me.  Why don't you go back to grade school and learn the Golden Rule.
khazdar View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khazdar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2010 at 11:16am
Thanks for the replies after my second post. VietVet and Pacman, I think I like your style!

Bobbie, I think you should go back to summer camp and play "Kum-ba-yah" to your golden rule, little hearts content. We are adults. There has to be some kind of social contract. When you own property, you are owning  a stake in the community. I have always TRIED to get along with my neighbors. Yes, I like non aggressive solutions. I have always went out of my way every weekend to make sure that my house and yard are neat and clean.

I thoroughly believe and always will believe that setting a good example is the best kind of leadership. Yet, 9 years have passed and my neighbors still think their front porch is some kind of extension of their living room, and their backyard is some kind of "second" basement. What the hell is wrong with these people? Don't they want to make money when they sell? Why do Christmas lights have to stay up for 3 months after Dec.? Why collect junk cars that they will never actually "fix-up"? Why not trim your bushes and plant flowers? and pull weeds?

I am not perfect. Even as a type this my Wife is pissed at me because I said something wrong.

I think I will check into the zoning violation with the planning dept.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic