FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much longer can we keep putting Band-aids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much longer can we keep putting Band-aids
    Posted: May 23 2010 at 8:59am
How much longer can we continue with the Band-aids on the water system?  Manchester Rd. and Marshall have breaks after breaks roads look like a patch work of repairs now.  It is time to re-instate the infrastructure fund and the sooner the better.  Problem is how do you fund it.

Water main break damages, shuts down road

Staff Report
10:03 PM Saturday, May 22, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — A portion of westbound University Boulevard is shut down after it was damaged following a water main break Saturday evening, May 22, according to the Middletown Division of Police.

The westbound lanes will be closed until further notice between Breiel Boulevard and the Manchester Road access near John XXIII Elementary School.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 1:20pm
You know a levy is coming for a water line project no doubt.

Either a levy or the city will demand the residents fix it.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

You know a levy is coming for a water line project no doubt.

Either a levy or the city will demand the residents fix it.

I would assume that the city would have the ability to increase water rates to pay for water-related infrastructure improvements before a levy would be needed.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:09pm
Support, that is just 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, it all comes out of the Citizens pocket, we already have high water rates, in my opinion. 

Support enlighten us as to this "great potential" that Middletown has under its current financial condition and its high poverty, no jobs, etc. situation.  Also how does the city get this "GREAT Potential" moving, as I surely don't see it anytime soon on the horizon, even though I would like to.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 6:29am
Take the money back out of the General Fund where it has been languishing since the 80's when the city asked the voters to approve the move from the streets fund to the General Fund. If that would require another ballot issue to have it moved back, where do we start the initiative? Why haven't the city leaders taken action to see that that happened in over 25 years? Again, another case of money mysteriously moved around by the finance department at the direction of council and the city managers over time. Secretive little munchkins, aren't they?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 6:36am
Support is right funds for Water Pipe replacement or upgrading should come from the Water & Sewer fund.  Is there any plan in place to start replacing the aged water pipe system or is it just going to be more band-aids as they break?  Infrastructure fund which needs to be re-instated should go to Roads.
Vet every dollar in the General fund is bascially spent already.  That would mean cuts need to be made.....I'll get my axe out.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 6:47pm
Perhaps only those of you (like me) that usually pay the minimum monthly charge for water/sewge have noticed, but a series of step increases have taken effect in the last few years in water charges.

I distinctly recall when these increases were authorized by city council.  The reason given was NOT that the water department needed the money, but to build up the fund for water infrastructure to replace our aging system in the future.

I cannot recall the exact time frame, but I do specifically recall that Councilman Schiavone was one of those leading the charge, if that helps to narrow it down.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 6:15am
Pac- don't know if every dollar in the General Fund has been spent already or not. We have had evidence, that on numerous times, after the city has cried wolf about a lack of money, a miracle occurs and they suddenly find money from some obscure fund to satisfy the need at the time. This has happened more than once and emphasizes the distrust we all have as to the money handling/transfers/mysterious movements the finance department has demonstrated in the past. I know that Mike,even though an old fart, with his sharp memory and recall intellect, can cite past examples.   
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 7:12am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Pac- don't know if every dollar in the General Fund has been spent already or not. We have had evidence, that on numerous times, after the city has cried wolf about a lack of money, a miracle occurs and they suddenly find money from some obscure fund to satisfy the need at the time. This has happened more than once and emphasizes the distrust we all have as to the money handling/transfers/mysterious movements the finance department has demonstrated in the past. I know that Mike,even though an old fart, with his sharp memory and recall intellect, can cite past examples.   
Vet, my conservative brother Hug!!!
All you need do is ask!!!
Go to this thread and scroll all the way to the bottom!!!  http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2441

There you will find examples of at least two cases.  One where our former award winning Financial Director, John Lyons, uttered those immotal words: "We found some money tucked away in one of our other funds!" and another where Ms. Gilleland and Mr. Schiavonne paraphrased similar content.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 9:01am
Vet I remember those discussions.  Now back in what was it 1987 or there abouts the city was putting what about $850K into the Infrastructure Fund.  Here we are 23 years later with basically pothole filling maintenance only on most residential roads for the last 23 years.  If you have what about $2.5 Million that you can find for the Infrastructure fund yearly, that would be a start, but I doubt it is there.  Just my opinion now.  This amount would have to be achieved either through a Levy or serious cuts and I ain't voting for no levy at this time.   Now you may  be able to get to that figure with cuts and playing the game of which account is the money in now.....don't know.

It should be interesting once they have their do we cut accounts or don't we discussion, of course that could be a 2-3 year venture like Section 8 was and a few consultants and studies later, we end up with a bigger mess than we started with.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 9:44am
I'm sure that this Council will have a good plan and agree on everything
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 10:06am
Spider....... Sure they will!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic