FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery money to be “shifted”

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery money to be “shifted”
    Posted: May 30 2010 at 5:42am

Tuesday night you people are going to see another razzle-dazzle with city funds within our “complicated” accounting system.

This looks like another opportunity for some of our money to get “tucked away” into one of their “other funds”.

Ordinance No. O2010-37 (Legislative Item 5) deals with sidewalk, curb and gutter repairs and supposedly awards a contract “not to exceed $478,906.45” for this work.

I found the following in the Staff Report, dated May 24, 2010 provided to support this legislation, with items in red copied and pasted exactly:

“City Council passed Resolution of Necessity R2010-08 on April 20, 2010, requiring owners to repair defective concrete.”

“The property owners have until May 31, 2010 to obtain a permit to complete their work under a private contract and”

“all work must be complete by June 14, 2010.”

“After this date, the City will include all remaining repair work into this contract with Silverhawke Construction.”

All of the concrete repair work is assessed to the property owners; therefore, there is no financial impact to the City.”

$150,000 is budgeted in the Special Assessment Fund (873) for this project.”

The remaining $328,906.45 will need to be appropriated to this fund”

Bids were submitted by 5 contractors for the project on May 21, 2010.”

Let’s ignore the fact that they expected homeowners, who usually have little experience at obtaining, evaluating, and selecting the best bids from contractors, to do so and have their contractors pull permits even more quickly than the City’s highly qualified, well experienced, award winning staff can even make a recommendation to council. That’s a discussion for another day.

Let’s look solely at the financial and accounting aspects of this (and presumably all similar contracts throughout the past, award-winning years):

How much money is in this “Special Assessment Fund (873)”?

Where did it come from?

What happens to any money remaining in this fund at the end of the year, and in years past?

IfAll of the concrete repair work is assessed to the property owners; therefore, there is no financial impact to the City.” then why was $150,000 budgeted in the Special Assessment Fund (873) for this project and why will the remaining $328,906.45 will need to be appropriated?

What happens when the assessments, billed and collected by the County along with property taxes, are paid to the city? Where does the money go? Where have such funds gone for all of these previous complicated but award-winning years?

How did staff have any idea as to the quantities for the contractors to base their HALF MILLION DOLLAR bids on? After all, the bids were submitted BEFORE the property owners had to pull permits, and the time allowed for property owners to finish the work does not expire until JUNE 14.

Certainly at least a few property owners will either hire a contractor or do the work themselves during these difficult economic times if they think they can save a few bucks. What fund do the savings from this Silverhawke contract end up in? (Or does someone in a Historic District just get a new driveway?)

As usual, something stinks, and if you people on Middletown USA don’t raise the flag, no one will do anything about it.

Then again, they’ll probably only “put it in escrow” for a couple of weeks, cut out somebody’s $5K kickback, and talk about how great it was that THEY caught it, like they did with the Central/Vail/Diver boondoggle.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 6:56am

Just guessing.... but if Judy G/Council  talked about this at their retreat and allocated this 150k to this fund at that time and it wasn't planned for in years past, that would explain why there is money now and would not have had money from the past. 

But if it was talked about then and the appropriate planning was done i.e. allocating monies to this fund, why weren't cititzens notified earlier to start planning so contractors could be contacted and permits pulled??? Kind of shoots part 1 of the budget planning/allocating dead..
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 10:21am

All of the concrete repair work is assessed to the property owners; therefore, there is no financial impact to the City.”

$150,000 is budgeted in the Special Assessment Fund (873) for this project.”

Something very fishey about this !! I agree,if the cost is passed to the homeowner then why does the city need this money ?? This makes no sense what-so-ever !
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 3:53pm
Since Council had a hand in this, let's ask the three that I'm sure, would be able and willing to explain the scenario to us on this site. How does this all work Ms. Scott-Jones, Mr. Smith and Mr. Laubach??? Won't get a response from Becker, Mulligan or Picard, but we can count on you to tell us, can't we?

This also talks about defective concrete and property owners being required to repair the defects. What constitutes defective concrete and how is the city notifying the property owners? Not mentioned.
High Speed Rail?? View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 8:03pm
What happen to neighborhood stabilization megabucks from HUD???
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

Just guessing.... but if Judy G/Council  talked about this at their retreat and allocated this 150k to this fund at that time and it wasn't planned for in years past, that would explain why there is money now and would not have had money from the past. 

But if it was talked about then and the appropriate planning was done i.e. allocating monies to this fund, why weren't cititzens notified earlier to start planning so contractors could be contacted and permits pulled??? Kind of shoots part 1 of the budget planning/allocating dead..

Your guess is not correct. Budgets for the following years are prepared by staff during the last half of the preceeding years and presented to council for their approval during the fourth quarter for approval prior to Dec. 31.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by High Speed Rail?? High Speed Rail?? wrote:

What happen to neighborhood foreclosure megabucks HUD gave the city last year?  How about 20 empty foreclosed homes to be buy, fixup and resold?  How about 54 houses to be tore down?  This city hall expert promised to greatly help older neighborhoods?  What is their report on reduce dilapidated houses, help new homebuyers and to raise our property values?  What do they do to help Middletown not be the 54% slum city that they declared last year?
Interesting ramblings, but off-topic here. are you trying to distract the people from this issue?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 1:29am

There was a feeble effort at tonight's (actually last night's now) meeting by Ms. Scott-Jones to point out that the City would be reimbursed for sidewalk, curb, and gutter work performed by property owners. Now I don’t presume to speak for Mr. Deadman (and I certainly don't speak for Ms. Scott-Jones), but this did not address the points that he was calling into question, if I understood him correctly.

It appeared to me that he was pointing out the “old shell game” type movement of money that results in what I (and perhaps Mr. Lyons?) refer to as money being “tucked away in some of our other accounts” to be readily pulled out when needed for a pet project or when council gets themselves in a bind.

First, I (nor, presumably, Mr. Deadman) was not able to discern when this contract went out for bids, but we do know from Mr. Duritsch’s memo that bids from the five contractors were submitted on May 21, 2010.

That mean there is NO WAY that ANYONE (and especially not the bidders) could have known how many property owners would be having the City do their concrete work and therefore would be excluded from their contract.

Regardless, If I read Deadman’s post correctly, he was not only questioning the amount that the city may now be OVER-appropriating, but more importantly what happens to the overage and to the money returned by the County from the taxpayers to the City! Does it end up “tucked away” where only the insiders can find it at opportune moments???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic