FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transparency and Accountability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transparency and Accountability
    Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 12:54pm
Transparency and accountability are musts if we are to have faith in local government.  This applies to the NSP-1 grant in particular.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 2:01pm
You mean these reports, come on people:

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 2:05pm
Thanks, Pacman.  In reviewing this information on the NSP-1 grant I've encountered some very interesting concerns.  Questions will be forthcoming.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 9:33am
Pacman -

I just finished reviewing the HUD information that the City of Middletown released on its' website.  As  you look through the following data, several questions arise:

1) the City's application for $2.144 Million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One funds did not include a Downtown Commercial Acquisition/Demolition component.  To date, the City has spent almost $300,000 for this purpose.  Where is the City Council and HUD approval for this plan amendment?  This money spent could have demolished at least 40 more vacant, foreclosed and blighted houses.  How come?

2) the City's application for $2.144 Million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One funds included a Vacant/Foreclosed Residential Property Acquisition/Rehab/Resale component.  They stated that 20 residential properties would be involved.  On the City's website, it stated that ELEVEN (11) homes were projected to be involved for a cost of over $1.0 Million.  Where did the other nine houses go?  I found it interesting that over $100,000 was spent acquiring one house.  Go figure?  Do we know the name(s) of the REALTORS involved with these transactions?  How much will each of these ELEVEN HOMES cost to rehabilitate?  Which REALTORS will be given the listings for the sale of these homes?

Thanks Pacman for bringing this conflicting data and resulting questions to our attention.

Commercial Property Demolition (2009 - )

1325 Central Ave   1329 Central Ave    810 Verity Pkwy   2818 Verity Pkwy

Residential Property Demolition (2009 - )

215 Baltimore St          403 Baltimore St           408 Baltimore St
527 Baltimore St          1903 Casper St             1810 Columbia Ave
814 Fifteenth Ave         1509 Forest Ave            1120 Garfield St
1909 Henry Ave            624 Moore St                 1425 Oxford State Rd
232 Park St                   1504 Penfield                 715 Seventh Ave
1721 Sheffield St          823 Seventeenth Ave    813 Sixteenth Ave
830 Sixteenth Ave         723 Tenth Ave                2301 Wilbraham Rd
1317 Woodlawn Ave   1909 Woodlawn Ave      2302 Woodlawn Ave
214 Young St                 604 Yankee Rd              1117 Young St

City-Owned "FHA Dollar Homes" Demolition (2009 - )

115 Crawford St      2100 Grand Ave        2011 Linden Ave
2007 Pearl St           2106 Pearl St            1508 Taylor Ave

Private Residential Property Acquisition (2009 - )

2605 Elmo Pl ($58,000+)        1016 Gage Dr ($128,000+)
3523 Jewell Ave ($35,000+)    915 Malvern St ($13,000+)
100 Red Bud ($65,000+)

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 10:01am
Nelson you are getting to much into spinning everything.  The info is public knowledge posted right on the cities website, you just needed to go find it.  Have a wonderful day spinning.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Nelson Self Nelson Self wrote:

In reviewing these reports I have encountered some very interesting items.  Further questions will be forthcoming.  I'm sure that City staff will provide all of the details?  Thanks, Pacman.

Maybe if you asked them instead of spinning everything on here you would get the answers you are looking for, just a thought.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 10:07am
As Sargeant Joe Friday used to say, "Those are the facts."  You have now entered my NO SPIN ZONE.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 10:10am
Pacman -

Over one year ago City staff were advised by legal counsel not to communicate with me.  I hope that this ends your infrequent and unfounded questions.  If I knew who you were I'd love to talk with you face to face.  You might find some of my assortment of documents to be very interesting.

In five years let's compare notes to see if you are right or that Miss Vivian and I were correct?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 10:34am
No insults Nelson just stating the Facts.  I am not located downtown.  I would suggest if these questions are so burning for you then have your attorney ask them.  To come on here continually and ask the same question about HUD over and over is not working.  I think most people, myself included, do not know enough about HUD funding to understand all the fine points of dealing with HUD on Grants, Foreclosure funds, etc.  Trying to just get a basic understanding of Section 8 was enough for me and then I didn't even scratch the Surface there.  If you want to continually ask the city about HUD issues here might I suggest you open just one topic and post your questions there now and in the future rather than opening multiple Topics about HUD funds. 

Have a good day.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic