FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8 Tenet Speaks Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section 8 Tenet Speaks Out
    Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 12:20pm

I am not sure what to say after this speach from a section 8 tenet. I am not sure if she helped the case or hurt it. you be the judge. And this video is kind of long.

[SCRIPT] var so = new SWFObject('http://www.middletownusa.com/mediaplayer.swf','OneSection8TenetSpeaksAgainstLessVouchersVideo','400','300','8'); so.addParam('allowfullscreen','true'); so.addVariable('file','http://www.middletownusa.com/video/section8lady%2Eflv'); so.addVariable('overstretch','true'); so.addVariable('backcolor','0xFFFFFF'); so.addVariable('autostart','false'); so.addVariable('height','300'); so.addVariable('width','400'); so.addVariable('overstretch','fit'); so.addVariable('image','http://www.middletownusa.com/video/previews/section8lady%2Ejpg'); so.addVariable('logo','http://www.middletownusa.com/video/data/musa-logo.png'); so.write('OneSection8TenetSpeaksAgainstLessVouchers'); [/SCRIPT]
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 12:33pm
Randy- check the video once again. I think it's the infamous spider flick again, isn't it?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 12:47pm
Thanks Vet, I was just checking to see you were paying attention. :)

If you read the paper today it states that she has been on Section 8 for 9 years, really 9 years!!
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 12:55pm
yeah, 9 years!!!!! That is totally crazy! I am glad something is done with this section 8 stuff. Next should be mandatory drug testing for section 8 and welfare.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 1:11pm
I am all for helping someone when they need it, I think many of us have there. But 9 years is more than just helping someone it is raising them
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 1:23pm
You are right Randy, it has become a way of Life for her, one that she dosen't want to give up now.   I don't see where she helped her cause or anyone else's she mixed in to many other issues which the city has no control over.  She is not losing her voucher even if she had to move due to these new rules.

It is time for Council to stand up and get a firm handle on this matter and move the city forward.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 1:28pm
Watched the video. In all fairness, the lady speaking articulates her message very well. She explains her feelings and presents herself in a very positive manner, IMO. I know she has several children but her demeanor tells me that she could be a success in the working world and am saddened to see her potential being wasted in this scenario. She is correct about the emphasis on decent paying jobs having a major impact on the city. Too bad council, Robinette, Gilleland and others never listen to that message and are dragging their feet doing anything about it.

Ms. Scott-Jones made a statement toward the end of this about council trying to eliminate the long term people on the Sec. 8 program and says something about this not applying to this lady. Didn't someone say this lady has been on Sec. 8 for 8 or 9 years? If true, it certainly does apply to her, Ms. Scott-Jones.

I noticed that the mayor was about to say something, but lost his "window of opportunity" when Ms. Scott-Jones began her response. Would have been interesting to hear the mayor speak as it is a rarity in the public comments portion of the council meetings.

How about Mr. Picard, Mr. Smith and Mr. Becker. Nothing from these three concerning this topic? Would like to hear their feelings about this also.

Does the new lawyer (name???) speak?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 1:39pm
Taken from the Middletown Journal Written by Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer  

Kiyaa Bowens, 35, who has been in the Section 8 program for nine years, said she is concerned the city is moving to reduce the number of voucher holders when some people have no means to move elsewhere.

“I found it appalling that a City Council convenes and finds a nice way to say please leave our city,” she said.

Bowens, who has three children, said she addressed council to represent the 1,662 voucher holders who will be affected by the policy changes.

So, yes if this report is true then it would apply to her. I am sorry but 9 years is far too long to be on this program. Section has no time limit as to how long you can be on it. There in lies the problem...IMO!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 2:01pm
the city can solve her concern about moving costs by offering to pay for the couple hundred bucks it would take to pack up a Uhaul and "haul" her and her kids to an area where there are a few jobs.  If there are no jobs here then why do you continue to live here, lady?  I'm guessing she's got a nice TV, a little jewelry, maybe a car.  Over the course of 9 years most people can scrape up the $$ it takes to rent a van and get out of Dodge.
They should implement a maximum 3 year rule for being on section 8 unless you are a disabled vet or a senior citizen.  I would include being on Secial Security Disability but I know that well-run scam is abused to the hilt and would not want to include the droves of SSD folks into my "new" Sec 8 program.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 2:07pm
I could only stand to watch a minute of that video because she states two inaccuracies right off the bat -- that S8 tenants do not require more police calls (wrong) and that having S8 neighbors do not result in a decline in property values (wrong again).

How many times must it be explained to these folks that complaints about this issue are not personal attacks against any particular tenant.  Sure, there are good tenants and those who may live in a nicely kept up home.  We are not talking about YOU or the exceptions, we are talking about the WHOLE and the general rule that too much S8 creates too many problems.
PattiGal View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PattiGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 2:30pm
I agree, Randy. Shouldn't section 8 be a temporary buffer for a family experiencing touch times? Since when did it become a lifestyle choice?!?! Also...if you have to pee in a cup to work at Kroger, then shouldn't you have to be drug tested to live off of tax payers?
"Because nice matters..."
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 2:35pm
Yes you should have to, drug test for section 8 and other programs should happen often and at random
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 6:01pm
I do not want to get into a contest on what I meant.  When I said what I said, I did not know that Ms. Bowen had been on the program for 9 years.  I know of her and have found her to be very pleasant and intelligent.  How long she has been on the program doesn't change what my overall statement was which is we must get handle on this issue. I hope to see some of you at the 3rd ward conversation with council on Monday from 6pm-8pm at my home 4806 Central Avenue-telephone 513-705-0725.
Anita
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 9:32pm
Well 9 years on section 8 and probably welfare but the question is what generation of these two is she ? We all know once your on welfare and section 8 it becomes an inheritance for the future family members to become dependent.

I witness section 8 and welfare first hand, during all hours of the day these people are walking the streets,playing basketball and just hanging out with nothing to do. And from appearances all are very able to work some type of job but, to work for minimum wage versus welfare is actually a loss of revenue for the recipient so the welfare mentality continues to grow.

A question someone should be asking is why aren't section 8 and welfare recipient's monitored and interviewed from time to time for possible exclusion from the program's ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 9:32pm
Ms. Scott Jones:
I do plan on attending your "Conversation with Council" on Monday.  However, where can we park without fear of violating § 452.03 (a)(18)D of the City of Middletown Code of Ordinances???  LOL LOL LOL

I am just kidding about the fear of violating the ordinance!!! (I really do plan on attending.)  The "Conversation with Council" would have to last for six hours before anyone could be cited for violating the "No parking in front or side yards" ordinance.  I have another meeting nearby that begins at 8:00 PM, so I must leave by 7:55!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 9:33pm
You are right  Mrs Jones, council needs to stay focused on geting this program headed in the right direction. Most all goverment programs have abusers. Ihope that a lot of these people do show up and back those on counci that are truely tring to help Middletown .
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2010 at 10:53pm
Mr. Presta,
I do believe I paid my taxes for the second half. I look forward to seeing you. You can park anywhere you please at 4806 Central AvenueWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic