FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many balloons = 100% ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many balloons = 100% ???
    Posted: Jul 29 2010 at 10:00pm

According to the latest newsletter from our City Manager, the Balloon Fest had attendance of "nearly 60,000."

Of that number: 42% of guests were from the immediate area, and 17% drove more than an hour to get to the festival.

Now, I admit that I do not hold a PhD in mathematics, but I am fairly certain that 42+17=59, so where were the other 41% of the attendees from???

Of course, 12% came from other states, who if they drove very rapidly, or if they flew (literally), that still leaves 29% of the "guests" unaccounted for.

29% of 60,000=17,400 men, women, or children (more or less) that were not from the immediate area, did not drive more than an hour, and were not from out of state.

Folks, I am NOT "anti-balloon". In fact, I think this is a very interesting event. What I am against is the apparent genned up attendance figures and economic impact amounts in order to justify pumping taxpayers’ dollars into private pockets all year long to promote such events.

These types of events just have to start flying on their own after a short incubation period on the public dole, especially in such trying economic times. It is simply NOT incumbent upon the majority of the taxpayers to subsidize the desires or hobbies of a small minority for even a short period, let alone for an endless period of time, and there is much too much of this happening in Middletown in the last twelve years!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2010 at 6:13am
Now Michael, I don't think the city officials, including Ms. Mort, would "genn up" the attendance figures. They have given us nothing but positive "out in the open" information to the people in these situations. As to the other 29% unaccounted for, they will tell us in good time, IF, we have a need to know. Trust them.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2010 at 12:35pm
Mike - Did you count the balloonist themselves ?

That 29% was probably the ballon people and chasers.

What I haven't figured out is why keep having this thing on the same days as the Dayton airshow ? Wouldn't we get more people if the airshow wasn't happening at the exact same time ?
And I've always said the yearly numbers for the balloon fest were "exaggerated" just slightly to justify the expenditure. 
And at 60,000 that would make a second Middeltown if our population is 60,000 ± a few.

Any idea what the profit and loss ratio is for this yearly event ? I'm almost willing to bet that loss far exceeds profit if the numbers are true.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2010 at 7:47am

Hermes,

I am no marketing expert, but I actually see some logic in scheduling this event along with the Dayton air show.

First, I would think that there some instances (probably either among the 17% who drove more than an hour to get to the festival or in the 12% who came from other states) where perhaps the family wouldn’t came to Dayton for the air show, or to Middletown for the balloon show, but…if they could do both in one weekend…well, what a nice little trip it might be!

Also, (and I might be wrong about this) don’t a lot of the vintage planes for the air show actually first fly into here??? During the Tea Party meeting (held at a picnic shelter at Smith Park) on the Thursday evening just prior to the balloon show, there seemed to be hundreds of people who were at Smith Park only to watch the WWII era planes take off and land. And I have to say that the pilots of those crafts seemed to delight in obliging those spectators. Kudos to those daring men in their flying machines!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2010 at 11:04am
Mike - All good points. Not sure about the vintage planes,although we did go over and watch Fast Trax jumpers one day prior. There were a lot of people over there that day.

I guess either way it's still nice to have and it does put the city on the map. I'm a flying aficionado so I really enjoy the jumpers and the planes. And if it brings in $3 million to the local economy thats better than nada.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic