FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here we go again!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here we go again!!
    Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 6:57pm

City to remove dilapidated trailers from park

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 5:10 PM Saturday, September 11, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — City officials have set their sights on the Riverside Village mobile home park as its next demolition project, and likely will use taxpayer dollars to get it done.

The city has put together a taskforce of representatives from the police, health, community revitalization and law departments in order to take action in the park located off Carmody Boulevard just across the Great Miami River.

According to City Manager Judy Gilleland, there are more than 125 vacant units in the park, many deteriorated and well-past their “mobile home” days. Peppered among the dipidated structures, overgrown grass and towering weeds are some 50 occupied trailers.

Fearing retribution from the park owners, residents refused to comment on the detiorating conditions, though one older female resident hung her head and said “It’s disgusting,” before shutting her door.

It’s not just the eyesore Riverside Village presents that has pushed the city to take action, but also the crime that festers along with the decaying trailers.

The Middletown Division of Police is currently compiling a report on crime within the park. Sgt. Jim Cunningham said the site has been used for at least one sting operation in the past five years and has seen its share of arsons.

“It’s blighted and it has become a fire hazard. It’s a haven for drugs and arson and a lot are not safe and the residents are long-gone,” said Doug Adkins, Community Revitalization director.

The issue is figuring out how to legally remove the trailers. Under the Ohio Revised Code, the mobile homes could be considered a “junk vehicle” and therefore can be tagged by the police for removal. How to move from there, Adkins said, may be a little more tricky.

“If it was a normal mobile home you could throw an axel and some wheels on there and drag them out of there,” he said. “But the state of a lot of them, you can’t get them on the road.”

While notification has been sent to Riverside Village owners, based in Michigan, the city is prepared to haul trailers at its own expense by the year’s end, Adkins said.

“Once we get a handle of how we are going to move it and how much it is going to cost we’ll figure out where the funds are going to come from,” Adkins said. “The cost could ultimately determine the speed of the process, and whether this will happen in phases.”

Removal of obsolete and blighted structures has become a prominent issue in City Hall this year. City Council approved spending $115,000 to raze the River of Power Ministry Building and Barb’s Pub, respectively at 1325 and 1327 Central Ave., and spent $950,000 to demolish the former Swallens building and downtown parking garage.

Get ready to dig deeper Boys abnd Girls!!!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 7:24pm

Smartman
I think the citizens of
Middletown
really need to ask a few questions about this situation.
1. Why did the City wait so long to take action against this property?
2. Is the City closing down the entire trailer park...if not why not?
3. Why are the taxpayers footing the bill for the clean up of private
    property?

TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 7:25pm
Yes you probably right, that trailer park has always been a problem for middletown

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 8:19pm
I couldn't agree more Vivian. It seems that they just want to spend and spend. But what for? What business will we attract with this clean up?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 9:54pm
Perhaps the new interest in cleaning up the mobile home park has been stimulated by the recent attention given to the airport activities and all of the shows and events like Fastrax, etc. The airport seems to be the new city focal point of interest lately. Looks bad to have the trashy mobile homes sitting right across the street from the area they're trying to develop. The land, if cleared by the city of trailers, may be purchased at a cheap rate from the Michigan owner for more airport development. Wasn't one of the concerns of the airport management that they were running out of room? Just a thought.
squeemy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 8:04am
Articles on this describe Riverside trailer park owners from Michigan.

Can anyone here find out who they are?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 9:36am
Hey Squeem---try Mr.Adkins or the Health Dept. for the name of Riverside ownership. Too musch to ask of the MJ to research something like that.

This has been coming for years.
When I was a member of the Board of Health, that area was a constant problem, and was cited repeatedly. The situation has only become worse. Mr.Adkins has been itching to shut down the place for quite a while, even attempting once to shut off the water to the entire complex(crazy move since many there have paid their water bills). Health Dept. clarified to him that he could not legally of safely do that.

Once we tear down everything(PLEASE start with the area formerly known as "downtown" now that the core area properties have been valued at "worthless"), what will we have? Poor people with no place to live? More worthless property to give away to outsiders?

Just what is the plan around here?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 1:21pm
While I think it's good the city is cleaning up this mess are they (the city) going to "confiscate" this property ?

It will be pretty stupid if they spend tax payer money for clean up then allow the present owners to maintain ownership.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 5:16pm
Thats my point Hermes. I believe that we all want our city cleaned up, but we are tired of footing the bill. Make the owners clean it up at the owners expense. There are other areas that out tax dollars should go towards. The boys (and I do mean boys) and girls downtown just dont get it.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 8:01pm
Exactly
The poor people didn't make a mess out of the former downtown area.
The wealthy old-money land owners allowed their properties to deteriorate while still collecting the rent.
Now they are holding out and speaking up, hoping for another public bailout to do their duties for them.
Let's hope not--let the city go after the slumlords, regardless of their status.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 9:33pm
Spider Clap Well said
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 12:01pm
I am not on board with tax payer money being used to clean this mess up!!! This is a privately held piece of land and people still live there and I assume they still pay their lot fees. That means that the Michigan based owners are receiving money from those living there.

Why are we not taking them to court and making them pay the bill or is that the plan?? It sure wasn't mentioned in the article I read.

Here is about all I could find on the Property owners

PARID: Q6511070000017
RIVERSIDE VILLAGE LTD PRT 2410 CARMODY BLVD
Owner
Owner 1 RIVERSIDE VILLAGE LTD PRT
Owner 2  

Parcel
Parcel Id Q6511070000017
Address 2410 CARMODY BLVD
Class COMMERCIAL
Land Use Code 415, C - TRAILER OR MOBILE HOME PARK
Neighborhood 90019002
Total Acres 57.6200
Taxing District Q65
District Name MIDDLETOWN C CSD
Gross Tax Rate 63.33
Effective Tax Rate  

Legal
Legal Desc 1 16159 ENT
Legal Desc 2  
Legal Desc 3  

Tax Mailing Name and Address
Mailing Name 1 RIVERSIDE VILLAGE LTD PTR
Mailing Name 2  
Address 1 301 W 4TH ST STE 440
Address 2  
Address 3 ROYAL OAK MI 48067 2515

Sales
Sale Date Sale Amount
01-FEB-87 $2,400,000
01-OCT-93 $3,250,000
21-APR-94 $4,721,000
08-DEC-95

Dwelling
Stories  
Square Feet  
Construction  
Total Rooms  
Bedrooms  
Year Built  

Current Value
Land (100%) $1,210,020
Building (100%) $976,730
Total Value (100%) $2,186,750
CAUV $0
Assessed Tax Year 2009
Land (35%) $423,510
Building (35%) $341,860
Assessed Total (35%) $765,370

Current Year Real Estate Taxes
TAX TYPE Prior Year First Half Tax Second Half Tax Total
Real Estate 177,193.71 23,466.48 23,466.48 224,126.67
Special Assessments 23,100.28 8,955.62 8,955.61 41,011.51
Tot Payments -108,249.36 -32,422.10 -3,822.17 -144,493.63
Total: 92,044.63 0.00 28,599.92 120,644.55
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 12:12pm
I have no doubt that all the happenings has a great deal to do with th airport and I am fine with that. But I am not fine with footing the bill when there is a owner we could be going after for the payment.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 12:51pm
OK- when you punch 301 W 4th St., Suite 440, Royal Oak MI 48067-2515 into Google, you get Oak Ridge Communities and a phone number of 399-7755. You also are directed to a Sam Misuraca Family Fund at that address, which lists a non-profit tax report from 12/2007. I have no clue about what this all means, only that all of this is tied to this address. Mike, Pac or some other talented investigator will have to extract any meaning from this if it's important.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 1:09pm
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 1:32pm
I am not an expert in this area - but I would think you could site Riverside for the way the property looks, however the trailers are probably not owned by Riverside.  The are actually considered more like a motor vehicle and have a serial number attached to it.  Would you not have to go after these individuals as well. 

I could see a lawsuit if Riverside disposed of a piece of property and someone came back to get it.  Unless they have something in the lease that they take ownership after a certain period of collecting no rent. 

Trailors are owned by an individual that pays lot rent to the community.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 1:32pm

So who is Angela Cohen ? Any connection to Cohen Brothers ?

Is this old man Cohens' daughter ? LOL
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 6:58pm
Just drove though Riverside park and was really deserted looking. Would not want live there. It should be shut down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic