FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Journal editorial positions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journal editorial positions
    Posted: Oct 10 2010 at 1:55am

I am confused by The Middletown Journal’s two editorial positions expressed earlier tonight (but dated 10/08/2010, at 11:00 and 11:05 am) endorsing Bill Coley and Tim Derickson.

It is not the actual endorsements that confuse me, but statements by The Journal’s editorial staff within the op-ed articles explaining their endorsements.

Of Mr. Coley, The Journal states:

“Coley continues to insist that areas like West Chester Twp. continue to grow and thrive because they do not impose an income tax on workers, and that state government should help cities reduce their reliance on what he considers job-stifling income taxes. We [The Journal] think those views will resonate with tax-weary voters in the 55th District.”

How can the Middletown Journal possibly say this when they have continually and unfailingly supported EVERY SINGLE income tax increase ever proposed (at least in my feeble memory) to be inflicted upon the tax-weary citizens of Middletown??? Does The Journal want “areas like West Chester” to remain income tax-free and thereby “continue to grow and thrive” while Middletown and its “tax-weary” citizens continue a death spiral under ever-increasing “job-stifling income taxes”???

In their editorial endorsing Mr. Derickson, The Journal states:

“…we believe Derickson is the type of lawmaker whom voters need — a man of moderate temper who works to bring people to the table to find consensus. Frankly, we’ve had enough of the shouters and table-pounders.”

Am I the only one who finds it strange that The Journal says this, but has yet to editorialize against “the shouter” on our very own City Council???

So, there you have it, Middletonians! The Middletown Journal seems to have made their editorial opinion very clear!!!

They seem to stand squarely against:

• income tax on workers, and
  • job-stifling income taxes, and
  • shouting and table-pounding lawmakers…

except in MIDDLETOWN!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 4:37pm
Speaking of the Journal. Anyone close to the Journal know why they have cut off all comments to any of their stories? They haven't allowed a comment in several days, even on the articles that would generate absolutely no controversy. What's the lack of reader participation about? And to think when I was in Kroger the other day, they had the audacity to approach me to sign up for a reduced amount on a subscription. What a joke. How am I going to stir up some crap if I can't agitate the city supporters?   
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 6:07pm
The MJ is currently "not set up to answer questions or to receive citizens comments".
Paul Nagy
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 6:56pm
The Journal won't even allow comments on the "Sound Off" items!!!

I guess they think it's unfair to allow anonymous comments on anonymous coments!!! LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic