FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Autumn eve's drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Autumn eve's drive
    Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 6:36am

What a pleasant experience we had when we motored over Aberdeen Drive evening last. The silken smooth tarmac and well-drained gutter channels! Is it not enow to make genteel men’s hearts dance?

Ponder now how fortunate those dwellers art, that they shan’t be asked to bear the brunt of such refinements, how charmed those bonny be that more vulgar types shared the cost.

Now consider what the ruling class is deeming, nay scheming: that ye of lesser aggrandizements must now opt to acquire similar accoutrements without similar assistance from their fellow citizens.

Yea, the first shall be first, and the least shall be last (if at all.) But their coarser rumps are calloused to such hardships, as are their purses to the abuses of this burg’s aristocracy.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 5:00am

Mr. Saunders:

Thank you for your comments.

I, too, had occasion to "motor" on Aberdeen very recently and was pleased to notice the fine improvements that we, the people of Middletown, provided. Since my “motoring” occurred in the wee hours, one thing that I happened to notice that I never noticed before was the “olde tyme” style street lights. As I drove along, I couldn’t help but wonder when this style street light was installed there, and at how much extra expense to the taxpayers.

I also trust that the property owners along this street (as well as the property owners along north Breiel, Sutphin Street, University Boulevard, parts of Central Avenue in the downtown area, and other recently rehabilitated city streets) realize how fortunate they are that their streets were rehabbed before any new policies are instituted that will force property owners who desire such adequate streets to go through the gymnastics of petitions, and then paying for the work themselves, rather than having the rehab bankrolled by all city taxpayers sharing in the costs.

One good thing is, perhaps the property owners on S. Main Street and in the Highlands District will actually pay for the “olde tyme” street lights themselves if they desire them under this new plan, instead of sticking the taxpayers with the bill as occurred downtown, but for some reason I don’t think I will hold my breath.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 7:18am
I too, have motored down Aberdeen. Been motoring, off and on, since the 60's in that area. I have noticed the "olde tyme street lighting" along the way. Ahh, yes Mike, the "old tyme" lights and shoppes theme with the brick-layed sidewalks, similar to downtown Lebanon, and the artistic murals on the side of the buildings (that haven't been torn down yet). The ironic part of all of this is the city leaders want an "old tyme" theme in certain parts of this town with the simulated gas lamps going into downtown and the downtown "old tyme" storefronts (of vacant buildings) but they don't hesitate at all with demolishing any and all buildings that represent past history and the true "old tyme era". So would you be a little skeptical that the Highlands and South Main folks will have to pay like the rest of the people will? Given past events and knowing how the city leaders like to "hand-select" who they wish to cater to, I would have to say that they'll help their inner circle friends...... and the rest of us....well.....we're on our own as to any improvements with our street. And, they'll keep getting away with selective catering to some while ignoring the majority until enough of us commoners insist it be changed by petition or in the courts.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 10:26am
Nice to see consistency here: streets don't get improved, people complain; streets do get improved, people complain.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 11:06am
I believe that a lot of concern is based on the new concept of citizens paying much more to improve their own streets.
Haven't heard of that anywhere else--anyone else?
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 11:44am
I don't know too much about it, but there are other communities that offer this. They seem to fall under the category of Special Assessment Districts (the acronym asks for snarky comments, I'm sure) and cover not just paving, but other improvements.

Here are three instances I found without much effort; I'm not familiar with these to any degree, so I am not sure whether and how they work:

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departments/public_works/funding_and_production/special_assessment_procedure.aspx

http://www.cityofsouthfield.com/Government/CityDepartments/LZ/PublicWorks/Engineering/SpecialAssessmentDistrict/tabid/383/Default.aspx

http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Services/EES/Engineering/SpecialAssessmentDistricts.htm

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 12:09pm
That's right Marianne, some of us love to complain and have "snarky" comments, whatever the he-- those are. The discussion is not necessarily complaining about the condition of the streets as much as it is about the newfound idea from the city to allow the residents to pay out of pocket for their portion of their particular street and with the old time theme that seems to permeate certain thinking. I believe that is the topic. Don't know where you decided that street condition was the main focus here.
You will also notice that a large portion of the two posts above your entry were done "tongue in cheek" as if to introduce sarcasm with a dash of levity splashed in, that is, if you are familiar with the different types of comedy that one could be introduced to.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 5:23pm
I have a hard time with this one, since the basic function of local city govt. Is public safety and infrastructure.
Shifting the cost of this basic responsibility from municipalities(city tax $$) to the affected residents really isn't a workable situation since the economically depressed(poor) areas will then NEVER have their streets repaired.

With our city over-extending itself on projects OUTSIDE of their fundamentals, this may well be the start of a very ?able process.

So what will be next--local neighborhoods paying for their own police and fire/emergency services?
Snow removal?
Sewer repairs?

These publicly- funded bail-outs of private citizens/businesses(primarily in the dysfunctional former downtown area) should not supersede the city govt.'s basic function.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I have a hard time with this one, since the basic function of local city govt. Is public safety and infrastructure.
Shifting the cost of this basic responsibility from municipalities(city tax $$) to the affected residents really isn't a workable situation since the economically depressed(poor) areas will then NEVER have their streets repaired.

I don't think that offering this program precludes street repair in the city by municipal government without the assessment; it seems like it would be an additional resource for residents.

I really do not know how this will work, nor how it has worked in other communities, but an argument could be made that it would actually free up city tax money to target areas that would not be able to contribute to their own street improvement through the program.   

I think the assumption that economically depressed areas will never have their streets repaired is incorrect, unless the city would not be involved in any street repair outside of what is done through this program - and I doubt that is the case.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 11:58pm

Can anyone imagine the great hue and cry that would result if this same methodology were applied to, say, the downtown development risky schemes???

The way it works now, the “stake holders” (those who own property downtown) meet and decide what they want to try to reinvigorate the downtown area and then the implementation is paid for by the “bag holders” (ALL city taxpayers).

Under the “pay for your own street repairs” plan, the downtown “stake holders” would meet and decide what they want to try to reinvigorate the downtown area and then pay for it themselves.

I’m willing to lay odds that this will NEVER happen!!!

What about things such as “gateways” or “water features”??? Perhaps we should have some sort of vote on who wants those and other questionable projects, and then have those folks pay with some sort of assessments to the “yes” voters’ property.  I wish this would've happened with the I-75/122 interchange "enhancements".

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2010 at 3:00am

Marianne, fair Marianne, says pave your own street if you can.

Some can do it, some cannot, ‘tis no cause to be distraught,

Says Marianne, fair Marianne.

The taxpayers paved hers, so what next occurs,

On roads unraveled, crumbled or graveled,

Were of little care to Marianne, fair Marianne.

Good sewers carry her fecal matter, no ruts to cause offensive clatter,

But when will it be confessed, that no extra was assessed,

To Marianne, fair Marianne.

So as you motor Aberdeen, if you spy our forum queen,

Bid halloo beneath your feet, to your money that repaired her street,

And to Marianne, fair Marianne.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2010 at 7:22am
Amazing prose,Rick
wow Marianne--no assessments for Aberdeen?
Didn't they modify curbs/gutters?
Actually, I don' t think that Ms.M lives on Aberdeen anyway.

So--by your thinking, the taxpayers should pay a greater share?
Not only the general fund street repair( which probably doesn't even exist), but a much larger amount if they want their own street repair prioritized?

Of course, this is all AFTER the former downtown area and the east end gateway are funded by heavy new municipal debt. Maybe we could use the long-term former downtown money pit area as the test location? Let's see just how much these community-minded "stakeholders" REALLY want to improve their property and area. Maybe throw the Historic Districts in also to lead by example.

Maybe the dead end areas like Thorn Hill, Da Vinci,Curryer and the Miller Ridge Woods areas, along with any new developments would work, since local traffic is slim and not wanted.

I don't have a good feeling as to where this all might lead.

Seems to pretty much open the door to avoid the basic municipal responsibilities to free up $$ for future pay increases and bennies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic