FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

November looms large

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: November looms large
    Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 7:57am
November looms large here in Middletown and may be our fair city's very last chance to pull back from the edge of doom.
Although he doesn’t specifically mention it, VietVet brings up a good point in the “Middletown Community/News Stories/Things Are Heating Up…” thread: If Councilman Smith does happen to resign, it will be up to the remainder of council to select another elector from Ward Two to fill his seat, as they did with the Ward One seat upon Councilman Armbruster’s untimely demise early last year. However, as also is the case with the Ward One seat,:
“If the term of such City Council member whose place becomes vacant does not expire on the first day of January following the next regular municipal election, then such person chosen by the City Council shall serve only until such regular election, at which time a City Council member shall be elected to fill the remainder of the unexpired term.”
Mr. Allen’s appointment expires this November, as would any other new Ward Councilperson, should it become necessary for one to be appointed!!
Just to recap, this November the following seats will be up for grabs:
  • Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr’s. mayoral seat
  • Both Mr. Becker’s and Ms. Scott-Jones’s at-large seats
  • Mr. Allen’s appointed Ward One seat
  • Any other Ward seats that may be vacated and filled by appointment before the November election.
FOUR new council members could mean a whole new direction for our city. 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 8:59am
I think the prevailing thought was that Anita Scott Jones would run for mayor.  My guess is, considering she just step down from the VM post, that is looking to be unlikely. 

Predictions:
Mulligan will run again.  Allen and Becker sit this one out.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:34am
AJ has created his own situations,  and must deal with them.
However none of his issues involve his decisions or actions during Council business.
As a contributor to his campaign, I know that he did not accumulate any great amount of funding(nowhere near the $30,000+ donated to Mayor Mulligan and Councilmember Becker for a $5000 per annum position). AJ $$ came from individuals simply wanting a change from Ms.Ford in ward 2.

I worry more about what Councilmembers and Admin do on our time, as opposed to their personal time or campaigning. I think that if the Cincy St.deal falls through, Mayor Mulligan should also be asked to resign. Instead of waiting for a final detailed specific deal involving the former Manchester Inn property(the cornersone of this potentially great project), he rushed in as emergency to first purchase the Cinergy building and the two former bank buildings, which are to be "mothballed" and were honestly never in the plans of Cincy St. We still have no deal on the Manchester Inn property, and the thought of anyone financing somewhere between 6-12 million $$ to bring it up to required/desired specs is not realistically cost effective or sensible.

So--we now own two more out-dated downtown properties + maintenence/upkeep to go along with the former Studio theater and former cabinet shop behind. The city purchased the adjacent properties and had them demo'ed, yet the Studio and cabinet site(the reason for the adjacent purchases and demo) still stand with no specific timeframe for their de-contruction(to my knowledge--please correct me if I have this wrong). From what I have seen of the PAC project, it is running far behind, with no local employment created, and little to none of the work there being done by local firms. Is there a family business connection between Mr.Verdin and the firms doing the work there? Seems to me that the focus there might shift from art to a banquet facility(which is not all bad--it would probably create more local employment), and may well cost the taxpayer additional $$ to bring any immediate conclusion.

Once again--the former downtown area has become a lead weight on the citizens and theitr govt.
I believe that with the current city ownershipof these additional properties, we will lose property tax $$ from their prior private ownership status. This puts additional burden on the local taxpayer for school funding etc.(please correct me if I am wrong here).

Face it--the area is worse than ever. If you are under mid-50s in age, you have no attachment to that area whatsoever, because their has been literally nothing there during your lifetime.  As I mentioned prior, you could probably level every building on S Main from Manchester Ave to First Ave with no real loss to anyone other than those at Hope House. Level the area and leave the total downtown project on the backs of the current property owners for private sector re-development as modern condo/apt.residential(which would create the need for related service/convenience business for those with means to support such efforts). The result probably couldn't be any worse than what has transpired over the last 30 years.

If we are going to pressure AJ Smith for his repeated but minor indescretiomns, let's also clean house entirely of those who have failed to produce, and quite possibly have over-spent and taken us backwards.
There is SO much more to this city than a decades-long dormant area on the far west end. Actually--that is why we have the Council election process--to take care of these situations by will of the public--NOT at the discretion of 4 Councilmembers.

jmo
Are You Kidding Me View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Are You Kidding Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 11:35am

So according to your logic Mr. Spider, if a council member or a city official goes out and gets  drunk and drives home, calls woman foul names, gets in fights on the street with women and don’t forget the I am law comments.  All that is ok with you as long as he shows up twice a month and sits there all proper and is willing to ask a few questions (some that don’t even make sense) we should just overlook the other stuff because it is not on city time. That is good to know.

Would you feel any differently if he walked into your business and acted the way he does when in public? We overlook those actions because it was on his private time, or would you be on here talking about how you can’t believe a person that is elected to represent our city acted in your store?

I think we all know that answer to that question. I personally think you have a vested interest in Aj and him being on council.  

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 12:10pm
Good comment spider. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not we all know the real purpose of the purchase of the building's from the Thatcher estate,these people are not idiots,even though I like to think of them as such.That was nothing more than a sweet heart deal for the estate to unload properties that it had no use for and they knew there was no future for them.

The city is blowing tax dollars like there is no end.Whether it's local tax money or money coming from the fed it's still tax dollars.And apparently some of that tax money is dwindling hence the $150 per day fine proposal for failure to maintain property.The city hopes this legislation will bring in money so it's not about them caring what the neighborhood looks like.It's always about money,bottom line.

I agree with spider,a house cleaning is in order for every council person and every member of city staff.And until the ties are severed with the influences that are controlling the process of running this town you are not going to see any change in the daily routine.It will continue and no doubt get worse.

As for this thing with Smith he has shot himself in the foot.Smith should know that as a council member he is under the microscope and would be held accountable for everything he does and says.I really don't think AJ has a good grasp on everything that is required of him.Perhaps he thinks his personal life is seperate from his public life,I don't know.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 12:13pm
Spider
You are right on the money
!
We had better keep our eye on this downtown deals.

nexus View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 12:37pm
spider is on the money again. The city and council use every possible smoke-screen to divert from their failures. Which is more serious if true- [edited] taking kickbacks or AK Smith and his treasurer not filing a campaign fund statement? I believe what happened to him, while negligent, is an easy fix. He needs to prepare his statement, get it to Columbus, and its done. I don't believe he was accused of spending $42,000 of HIS Campaign Funds on himself or others was he?

And which is the worse offense- council allowing the expenditure of the funds to the Thatcher buildings with no guarantee nor assurance of a return ($500,000), and where is State by the way, still doing "due diligence", or AJ Smith's neglect to not get his statement to Columbus in time?

I see the smokescreen, and while not a fan of Mr. Smith, a lessor fan of those unleashing the smokebomb, pre-occupying residents while C Stategoes down in flames apparently, and PAC is still trying to get more than 5 tenants.

You could level the entire downtown, and it would not matter to development or attracting business or residents to the city.      
Marvin Gaye View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Gaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Are You Kidding Me Are You Kidding Me wrote:

So according to your logic Mr. Spider, if a council member or a city official goes out and gets  drunk and drives home, calls woman foul names, gets in fights on the street with women and don’t forget the I am law comments.  All that is ok with you as long as he shows up twice a month and sits there all proper and is willing to ask a few questions (some that don’t even make sense) we should just overlook the other stuff because it is not on city time. That is good to know.

Would you feel any differently if he walked into your business and acted the way he does when in public? We overlook those actions because it was on his private time, or would you be on here talking about how you can’t believe a person that is elected to represent our city acted in your store?

I think we all know that answer to that question. I personally think you have a vested interest in Aj and him being on council.  

Because Mr. Spiderjohn doesn't agree with you, he has a vested interest in AJ Smith and having him on council? Oh sure he does. AJ brings in about 5000 customers daily into the business. This site is really going down fast. Not quite as bad a plunge as the Middletown Journal, but really entering a death spiral. Just because someone doesn't agree with your position does not mean they are subject to attack for "special favors."

As Middletown turns to dust, PAC and Cincinnati State going nowhere, we have the all out "blitz" on Smithsville. When's ol Cincinnati State making their next appearance at council anyway? Buehler....Buehler...anyone? 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 8:13pm

So according to your logic Mr. Spider, if a council member or a city official goes out and gets  drunk and drives home, calls woman foul names, gets in fights on the street with women and don’t forget the I am law comments.

Not OK at all. Bad judgement and frequency. But not the end of the world, or cementing someone as a bad person. I have had several dinners with Mr.Smith--usually in a popular local restaurant/bar. He has NEVER behaved in-appropriately, insulted anyone, and alcohol has never been mentioned, I honestly didn't think that AJ drank at all. Throw some booze in any mix and anything can and will happen--mostly stupid in nature.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   All that is ok with you as long as he shows up twice a month and sits there all proper and is willing to ask a few questions (some that don’t even make sense) we should just overlook the other stuff because it is not on city time. That is good to know.

Come on--I obviously expect more than that. I appreciate his desire to keep all important discussion in full public view. AJ might still be immature as a 21yo, however I find him to be open and honest.  We may disagree--however he tells me to my face, as opposed to leading me on before knifing me in the back behind closed doors, as has happened with un-mentioned others.Very importantly, he was electable in a crucial Council position.

Would you feel any differently if he walked into your business and acted the way he does when in public? We overlook those actions because it was on his private time, or would you be on here talking about how you can’t believe a person that is elected to represent our city acted in your store? I think we all know that answer to that question.

AJ has been in my businesses frequently, and has always carried himself in a mild-mannered and professional way. My co-workers have remarked as to how polite and friendly he has been(as opposed to what they read in the MJ).

I personally think you have a vested interest in Aj and him being on council.  

Absolutely--for the reasons listed above. I am constantly giving him my opinions on matters and my knowledge in areas where he is less experienced. He occasionally listens to me. I have NEVER asked him for any type of political favor or confidential information. I have NEVER asked him to vote a specific way on any issue. I strongly resent any implication otherwise.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 9:17pm
I'm just going to weigh in on this one issue that's been mentioned here--the $150 fine is a good idea.  If personal pride and a sense of civic responsibility aren't enough to get a person to mow his lawn, perhaps lightening his wallet will.  My suspicion is that this will mostly fall on the slum Section 8 landlords and banks who let their foreclosed houses fall into disrepair.  Can anyone seriously say with a straight face that they won't be able to abide by this ordinance?

I don't at all like the idea of government having to enforce such behaviors via fines and other sanctions, but I would rather the elected leaders try to do something about making the town look satisfactory than let the ne'erdowells overrun it without even putting up a fight. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Voice of Reason Voice of Reason wrote:

I'm just going to weigh in on this one issue that's been mentioned here--the $150 fine is a good idea.  If personal pride and a sense of civic responsibility aren't enough to get a person to mow his lawn, perhaps lightening his wallet will.  My suspicion is that this will mostly fall on the slum Section 8 landlords and banks who let their foreclosed houses fall into disrepair.  Can anyone seriously say with a straight face that they won't be able to abide by this ordinance?

I don't at all like the idea of government having to enforce such behaviors via fines and other sanctions, but I would rather the elected leaders try to do something about making the town look satisfactory than let the ne'erdowells overrun it without even putting up a fight. 
I agree with you Voice, it might make these slumlords clean up their junky looking properties and most of us that take pride in their homes won't have to worry about this minor threat.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 3:33am

Getting back to the original topic of this thread:

The mayoral seat (4 years); two at-large seats (4 years); and the Ward One seat (the remaining two years) are up for grabs this November.

So, we need to find (and stay united behind) one good, civic-minded, solid, honest, real Middletonian for each seat.

What A City View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Getting back to the original topic of this thread:

The mayoral seat (4 years); two at-large seats (4 years); and the Ward One seat (the remaining two years) are up for grabs this November.

So, we need to find (and stay united behind) one good, civic-minded, solid, honest, real Middletonian for each seat.

People Who Need To Leave                                                               People Who Need To Join

Mulligan                                                                                                      Presta

Becker                                                                                                         Spider

Picard                                                                                                          Pac (if healthy)

Allen                                                                                                             randy

Hermes

409

acclaro

Paul Nagy

many more who are in the 
                                                                                                                                        same camp

Anita needs to stay......she will do much better with cooperative people surrounding her. Josh- keep pushing.....hopefully, the city can offer decent candidates to fill the seats and work toward your type of goals. The new council needs to make it a priority to let some city building people go who insist on providing resistance to proper direction for the city. Need to neutralize the Scorti/Cohen/MMF/Old Guard Club members who are dragging it through the mudhole for their own self-serving needs. They should not be in the city's future plans and need to just go away. Same with all who follow their line of thinking.  
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Marvin Gaye Marvin Gaye wrote:

[QUOTE]
 This site is really going down fast. Not quite as bad a plunge as the Middletown Journal, but really entering a death spiral.

Well Marvin, if thats how you feel please feel free to not read the site. No one can ever compare us to the journal.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 7:26am
Vet,
Thank you for vote of confidence, but as for myself (and I feel safe in speaking for Pacman on this matter) neither of us are really in the physical condition to serve at this time.

Also, while I do agree with your list (for the most part), I should point out that Mr. Picard's Ward Four seat is safe during this election cycle (unless it becomes vacant for some reason before the election).  Only the at-large seats (Muligan, Becker, and Scott-Jones) and the Ward One seat filled by Mr. Allen's appointment (the late Mr. Armbruster's remaining term) will be up for grabs as things stand right now.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 8:00am
I too would say thanks for the vote of confidence, but there is no way I could run att his time. Raising my daughter and expecting my son in just 9 weeks not to mention the hours I work, no way do I have the time for this at this point in my life. I would like to Spider run though and Nagy too.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 7:35pm
Hey Marvin--WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

If ya REALLY want to get down to who is connected to whom and why----

LET'S GET IT ON!!

Marvin Gaye View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Gaye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Hey Marvin--WHAT'S GOING ON!!!

If ya REALLY want to get down to who is connected to whom and why----

LET'S GET IT ON!!

Gon one spider my bro! remember the classics back in the 60's, just like Middletown, bro, where did it go? Ain't NOTHING GOING ON! Why don't they put a barbecue joint down there in The Manchester. 

http://youtu.be/qz_vlQiZGD8

Starvin Marvin View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starvin Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 8:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic