FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buyouts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buyouts
    Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 12:10pm
Thank you Lostdafire, that was what I was looking for. I only saw a portion of the overall presentation, just the slides that start with "Stakeholder Priorities" through "Other Factors."
Lostdafire View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostdafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 11:36am
This may be the link Middletownscouter  used to see the powerpoint used Monday evening.  About 2/3 the way through it the options are referenced.  This does not go into detail for the plans but does explain them on a broad view.  It took me a little while to find this also.  I guess I will need to catch a replay on TV Middletown to hear the actual presentation that went with it.

http://www.middletowncityschools.com/pdf/BOE_Feb28_2011.pdf
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 11:21am
So would the staff at Verity be let go or would they just move to Vail?
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 10:28am
Only option #2 would have one of the new buildings possibly sit idle for those worried about that. No building gets shut down under Option #1 if I remember correctly. Verity would be mothballed under options #2 and #3.

Of the three options, #1 is the largest cut at around $5.3 - $5.4 million. This is the general "salt the earth, eliminate everything" stuff that gets tossed around at levy time: transportation to state minimums, pay for play (or eliminated completely) extracurriculars, drastic cuts in music, art and physical education programs at all levels, elimination of the success academy and intervention programs, etc. I don't think this one is likely. It would just hurt attendance and performance numbers even more than they already are. Also, they wouldn't have it as a scare tactic to hold over everyone the next time a levy needs passed!

My feeling is that if they go with option #2, Central Academy should be the elementary that gets closed. It is one of the older buildings and it doesn't actually service a specific neighborhood.

Under option #3, the elementary that is "closed" would have the K-5 kids distributed amongst the other schools (involves redistricting) and then all 6th graders in the district would be sent to the newer (now former) elementary building that was emptied as part of the redistricting. Highview I think would be the best option for this because it is centrally located and would be easiest for redrawing the district lines to distribute those kids around to all of the other elementary schools in Middletown. (Added bonus: They could finally get rid of the worthless principal at that building!)

2010 Elementary boundary map

Options #2 & #3 are looking more to reduce costs by consolidating services into less buildings rather than eliminating them, and are nearly as effective with just between $5.0 and $5.1 million saved annually in making the changes. All three of the options include $1.5 million in cuts made at the district / central administration level.

I was told that there is a full detail of the options on the district's website but I haven't been able to locate it yet. I got to see a printout of the powerpoint slides for each option yesterday and option #3 does seem like the most viable without causing loss of too many services to the students in the district.

These cuts would likely be around 10% of the budget. But once Kasich and the state legislature get done making cuts at the state level, we could be seeing up to 20% of the district's budget going away, so these plans would be a good start but more will need done.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 9:34am
I'm still waiting to here about performance issues rather than payroll issues.  Seems like now would be a good time to use one of these new elementaries for a new "Intervention Elementary".  Put all the problem children in one place and let the other kids learn.
LHelton View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 8:54am
A buyout is to have the cost-effective result of getting rid of higher salaried people, so that entry salaried people can be hired, thus saving money in the long run.  
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 11:20pm
I can't believe they would think of doing a buy out ! Even before they get a levy on the ballot,what are they thinking ? Oh sorry I jumped the gun,they have to make threats then get it on the ballot.Yeah cause threats work every time ! Big%20smile

Everyone knows a good levy fixes everything ! Wonder how much money they'll want ? Ermm
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 10:38pm
My understanding was that the new one and two story elementaries were the same size, just different floorplans (one story just has bigger footprint).
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 4:23pm
Like I said, I could see Creekview.  Moving part of 1-5 students to Mayfield and part of Miller Ridge would be easy.  If the 6-grade population is small enough, Creekview could still serve Abilities First.

The Highview option doesn't make any sense at all other than its a Central location. 
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 3:17pm
For what its worth, I've heard from teachers in the district that Creekview and Highview are the two schools being looked at as the 6th grade school.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 1:33pm

My guess is they go with option #3.  Verity is an older building that they planned to tear down should a new high school ever get built on the property.  While it’s newer than Vail, it is not as big and could not hold the # of students currently at Vail capacity. 

That way, if they still need to close an elementary school, it would become a 6th grade center.   So the question becomes---which elementary school would they convert to the sixth grade center.  Let's take a look:

* Miller Ridge – Single story.  Could be a good size for a 6th grade building.  Shifting the population of this school might be more difficult though.  Moving some students to Creekview would make sense, but the remaining population might be difficult

* Rosa Parks - Likely too large of a building.  Not centrally located.  Cannot easily shift the student population.

* Creekview - Single story.  Could be a good size for a 6th grade building.  Could easily shift students to Mayfield south of Grand/Roosevelt and Miller Ridge north Grand/Roosevelt.  However this school is a feeder from Abilities First, so likely not a candidate.

* Amanda - Can already see the uproar of busing east-end kids to that side of town.

* Wildwood – Could shift a portion of the students to Highview; another portion to Miller Ridge and another portion to Rosa Parks.  Wildwood is somewhat Centrally located, but is it too big for a single grade population

* Highview – central location makes it a good candidate.  Shifting student population might be tough.  Wildwood could serve area north of Central.  South of Central could go to Mayfield, however given the somewhat affluent demo of that neighborhood, likely to be an uproar.   West of Sutphin goes to Rosa Parks.  Two-story building might be too big.

The winner?  Wildwood.  Easy to spread student population across three existing buildings to lessen the impact of additional students.  While the building may be too big for a 6th grade only population, its the one that makes most sence.

http://www.middletowncityschools.com/pdf/schooldistbound2010blackwhite.pdf

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 11:15am
Today's Journal...

Middletown schools to offer retirement incentive

MIDDLETOWN — The Middletown Board of Education agreed to offer early retirement incentives Monday night and heard a series of budget strategies to offset next year’s state funding crunch

Lisa Lowery, director of human resources, stressed: “This is not a buyout.” Whoops, wait a minute Ms. Lowery......

Buyout
By Susan M. Heathfield, About.com Guide
Definition:
Buyouts are a common method for reducing the number and cost of employees. In buyouts, the employer offers some employees or all employees the opportunity to receive a large severance package in return for leaving their employment.

Letters will go out to those eligible next week. Teachers and administrators electing to participate would receive $45,000, plus an amount equivalent to applicable contractual sick leave pay in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.

Classified staffers would receive 100 percent of their base salary, not to exceed $20,000, plus an amount equivalent to applicable contractual sick pay in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, according to a release by the district.

Sure sounds like it.

The third option — which board president Marcia Andrew and board member Katie McNeil publicly admired — would move seventh and eighth grades to Vail, close an elementary school and create a sixth-grade center.

Wonder which elementary school they would consider closing? Could it be one of those brand spankin' new ones we just approved to be built to the tune of $45 million in bonds approved???? Could we end up having a brand new school mothballed already?

That option would include reducing the district’s transportation levels to state minimums, increasing class sizes and reducing Central Office and building support staffing.....An introduction from Rasmussen for a proposed tax levy, soaking the property owners again perhaps? The old "we need more money to operate" routine again???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic