FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good start???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A good start???
    Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 8:16pm
Was tonight the start of a house-cleaning at city hall???
If so, who is next???
(Hopefully, MK, followed by LL!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 8:43pm

what happened?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 9:16pm

Who knows???

Mulligan and company came rushing in from the semi-secret meeting at 6:13 and convened the business meeting, and then immediately moved to go into executive session for the purposes of discussing the employment of a public employee.

The Business meeting was reconvened a half an hour or so later, with Les Landen filling both his usual role and the role of the city manager. The City manager’s seat was empty, her name plate was turned down, and she seemed to be nowhere in sight.

No mention was made of her absence.

As in the old Soviet Union, it was as if she never existed.  The public may never know what occurred, even though this was obviously public business. This emphasizes the dangers of these semi-secret work sessions. Middletown is not the old Soviet Union!!!

Or is it???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 9:51pm
Was she there for the start of the meeting?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 9:59pm
She was never heard, seen on camera, or mentioned.  I was not physically in attendance, so I cannot say if she was at the semi-secret meeting.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 11:22pm
Well then, if she were not present at all, she could be:

* Sick
* Out of town on business
* On Vacation

Usually the language is as such:

II. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Under the authority of O.R. C. 121.22(G) (1) To consider the appointment, employment, dismissal,
discipline, promotion, demotion or compensation of a public employee or official.

There was an Executive Session scheduled for tonight:

IV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Under the authority of ORC 121.22(G) (4) Preparing for, conducting or reviewing negotiations or
bargaining sessions with public employees concerning their compensation or other terms and
conditions of their employment.   

My guess is you are making something out of nothing.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 11:27pm
I bet she got that job at the PENTAGON and she resigned.You know those government jobs are way better than the private sector. Approve
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 12:43am

SWOhio:

You might notice that I did NOT use quotation marks when I described what the mayor said regarding the reason for the executive session. That is because I could not recall his exact words, even though I was listening closely. To the best of my recollection, it was NOT the standard boiler plate language that you cited (which, by the way, is too broad, per ORC!!! Please read the rest of that very same section!!!)

I waited to write that post until AFTER TVMiddletown’s first rebroadcast of the meeting. I was going to get the exact wording to “quote” the mayor. Unfortunately, for some reason TVMiddletown did NOT rebroadcast the original early start of the business meeting.

The Business meeting was scheduled, and advertised, to begin at 6:30 pm. I had been watching the rebroadcast of the 2/28/2011 MCSD Board meeting on TVMiddletown since about 6:00 pm when suddenly the City of Middletown seal came on the screen. Next, the mayor and all council members except Ms. Scott-Jones (ASJ) entered, sat down, and the camera centered on the mayor. He looked quite grim.

He called the meeting to order. All council members were present except ASJ. The mayor, still quite grim, said that ASJ was in the building. He then said that they would be moving the executive session from the end of the meeting to the start. Since I sensed something was up I tried to listen closely to the language. It was not his usual recitation of the laundry list.

(Once again, just reciting the laundry list is improper. From ORC 121.22 (G)(1):

“…If a public body holds an executive session pursuant to division (G)(1) of this section, the motion and vote to hold that executive session shall state which one or more of the approved purposes listed in division (G)(1) of this section are the purposes for which the executive session is to be held. …”

That is the part you did NOT quote, SWOhio! The Law Director should know this. The mayor should know this. The Law Director should not let the mayor get away with just reading the laundry list meeting after meeting.)

Anyway, I digress. All six members present voted to go into executive session. Off they went. It was 6:13 (by my clock).

Next, concerning the City Manager’s absence:

Sick??? Out of town on business??? On Vacation??? SURE!!! Believe that if you want. Why didn’t they mention it??? Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr. always goes way out of his way to make sure that everything gets explained away that can be explained away. He makes excuses when he doesn’t even need excuses. So all of a sudden the City Manager goes MIA and everybody just ignores it??? ROFLMAO!! Sure!!! And her nameplate just fell over??? Maybe I knocked it over by telekinesis, just to cause speculation???

Tell your friends to resume meeting in council chambers with the TV cameras on, as they should be meeting, and we won’t have to be speculating!!!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

I bet she got that job at the PENTAGON and she resigned.You know those government jobs are way better than the private sector. Approve
I understand that there will be a spot opening up in Libya very shortly!! LOL LOL LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 12:48am
Of course, If TVMiddletown puts the opening part (PRE-executive session) of the meeting on Blip TV, I will watch it, get the EXACT language used by the mayor, and post it here.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:03am
Mike, I think you must have been taking a trip back in the 60's and groovin. Nothing will happen to Ms. Gilleland, they were probably going to award her a $30,000 increase in salary, and since AJ was late, trying to track him down or determine if they could force his resignation.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:11am

Gentlemen
I believe Ms Judy is on vacation

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:12am
AJ was busy helping organize the pro union anti-SB5 rally tomorrow at the Breiel and Grand intersection.Be sure to toss him a few PBJ sammiches as you drive by,all that work makes him hungry.LOL

Opponents of bill to rally in Middletown

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 9:03 PM Tuesday, March 1, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — Opponents to a bill meant to change collective bargaining laws for Ohio public employees are set to rally in protest in Middletown.

Jon Harvey, president of president of the Firefighters Local 336 in Middletown, has sent out an e-mail to people across the city encouraging them to attend the rally, set to take place from 4:30-6:30 p.m. March 2 at the intersection of Breiel Boulevard and Grand Avenue in Middletown.

Councilman A.J. Smith, who has publicly spoken against the bill, announced the rally during the City Council meeting Tuesday night. Smith said he intends to be there.

“It’s obvious we have to support those who support us,” Smith said.

The bill, first introduced by Sen. Shannon Jones, R-Clearcreek Twp., would restrict collective bargaining rights for roughly 360,000 public employees in Ohio. A newly-introduced amendment to the bill would outlaw strikes by teachers, firefighters, prison guards and would allow dismissal of any workers who strike anyway along with docked pay, fines and up to 30 days in jail.

Supports of the bill claim the changes could save the state more than $1 billion.

Contact this reporter at (513)

705-2843

or

jheffner

@coxohio.com.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/opponents-of-bill-to-rally-in-middletown-1094791.html

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:24am
Acclaro,
I am sorry if I was not clear.  It was Anita Scott-Jones (ASJ) that was "in the building" but not at her seat.  AJ Smith was, indeed, present and accounted for, in the building and at his seat, during the post-semi-secret, early opening to the business meeting.

Side note to SWOhio:  Note that the mayor went out of his way to explain where Ms. Scott-Jones was, while the City Manager got nary a mention.  According to our City Charter, the City Manager is just as entitled to a seat (albeit a non-voting seat) at every City Council meeting as each actual, full-blown city council member.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Gentlemen
I believe Ms Judy is on vacation

In Libya??? LOL LOL LOL
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:38am
Good lord, Harvey starting the "next" Wisconsin already. Sorry, but NO SUPORT here, the public safety levy needs to go back to 1.5%. Keep trying Mr. Smith, even an immature young man like you might get hired by someone's fire department. Anyyone looking for a good bargain? The city has done it again. A house bought for about $170 Kk on Marymont Ct now listed by Coldwell Banker for $129 Kk, a loss of $50,000. in about 5 years. Congrats Ms. Gileland, AK strike, and Wall Street.

Ms. Moon, love the $50,000 expenditure on the park equiment probably not a child uses but once a week. That would have taken care of the vault repair.

For those in favor of collective bargaining, these guys don't bitch, don't threaten, just do their job, and its a damn dangerous one at that Ashkicker, Harvey, Smith, and the other union supporters.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

“It’s obvious we have to support those who support us,” Smith said.
If one thinks about it, AJ just made one of the most compelling arguements I've heard against unions in the public sector.  The unions get to help elect the ones with whom they have to negotiate.  And the ones with whom they have to negotiate rely on them to stay in office.  This is not at all like the private sector.  No wonder federal workers are not allowed to collectively bargain for wages, pensions, work rules, health care, etc.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 9:27am
Mike---Bingo!!! Why do you think Obama wasted all that bailout moneu on GM and the union workers buiding the roads and trains? To pay back the union. The unions raise hundreds of $ Mm that pass to Democrats. In turn, Dems use those hindreds of millions for campaigning. That's why the Dems are going nuts in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, elsewhere---breal the back of collective negotiation, no union dues or only by CHOICE, and no money to put into DEM campaigns. Its a power play. Without union contributions, they can't influence elections, and lose power.

And why do you think Dem Smith is so heavily bent on the union agenda? They fuel his campaign ambitions, An immature, rather poor politician, but with the union tit for tat, he gets to move up the food chain. That chain goes all the way to the Preident. Another reason Obama is so passionate about union workers in Wisconsin, WINK- federal campaign contributions, but its okay to cut federal workers jobs.

A sham, not even cloaked. Sorry President Harvey Middletown, your rah rah has been exposed for what it is, A power play---you keep me a fat beast feed well, you get my money at election time and my union's votes. Really won''t help Smith, and just keeps pushing Middletown's property values in the dumps. 
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 10:09pm
I just watched the meeting, Mike, and your account of the meeting is off.

I did not find the Mayor's demeanor to be off. He does not appear to be grim.

The meeting starts with the Mayor seeking an Executive Session for the following purposes as outlined on the Council Agenda. He reads the motion pretty much from a piece of paper which one can assume is the Agenda. And it is the boilerplate language.

IV. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Under the authority of ORC 121.22(G) (4) Preparing for, conducting or reviewing negotiations or
bargaining sessions with public employees concerning their compensation or other terms and
conditions of their employment.    

Now it is possible that they did all three of those items in that Executive Session.

A vote is needed to move into Executive Session, and there was a roll call. ASJ is seated and participates in the vote. As a matter of fact, she second's the Mayor's motion. It is Councilman Allen who is missing. It is not the Mayor who points this out. It is the Clerk of Council who does so during the roll. She states that he is in the building but not in the Council Chambers.

When the meeting starts again, it is ASJ who is missing. After the moment of silence and pledge, it is the Mayor who notes that she is returning from Executive Session. Bathroom break? Phone call? He likely made mention of this because she was present at the beginning of the meeting prior to the Executive Session.

I don't find it odd one bit that there was no mention of the City Manager's absence as Council members would have known likely known of her absence prior to the meeting or it was made mention of in the non-televised Work Session--where the canal issue was discussed and where the paper reported that the City Manager was ON VACATION.

If indeed she had been fired, wouldn't someone have just removed her name plate from the table versus turning it upside down.   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 11:24pm
You are correct in that I confused the roll call at the 6:10 start of the meeting, where Mr. Allen was declared to be in the building but was not at his seat, and the roll call at the resumption of the meeting after the executive session, where Ms. Scott-Jones was declared to be in the building but was not at her seat.

Please cite the article "where the paper reported that the City Manager was ON VACATION."
=========================================================
From the Mar. 2, 2011, email transmitting the City Manager's weekly newsletter: 
Subject:   Weekly Update- Sent from the desk of Judy Gilleland by Acting City Manager, Les Landen

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 11:43pm
I stand corrected. The article states that she was unable attend the meeting. But I understand she is on vacation.

City Council tables canal project
New report indicates city will need twice as much money to divert
 water discharge.

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer
Updated 8:56 AM Wednesday, March 2, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — Ownership issues and escalating costs have clogged plans to fix the stagnant Middletown Hydraulic Canal.

City Council tabled a discussion Tuesday on plans to redirect water discharged by Aeronca Inc. about 2,000 feet away from properties along the canal.

Scott Tadych, assistant engineer in the Public Works department, said the city set aside $200,000 for the project. However, a new report indicates that to pipe Aeronca’s discharge to a new location would cost about $450,000.

While it’s believed the company’s discharge is adding to the stagnant water problems, redirecting the water may not solve the issue entirely. Tadych added that Aeronca will not assist financially in the project. The company holds a valid permit from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency to discharge the water at the current location.

Wilbraham Road residents have complained for years about unpleasant odors, mosquitoes and excessive algae growth connected to the canal, which abuts their properties. Tadych said this project is meant to address those concerns.

The hydraulic canal ceased flowing in 1993 after a state-owned dam broke. The majority of the canal is unowned and attempts to identify responsible parties to take action have been mostly unsuccessful, Law Director Les Landen said.

Councilman A.J. Smith was among the majority of council who said the project was “putting a Band-Aid on a broken bone” since it would not entirely fix the stagnant water issue nor address the problems with the rest of the 3-mile canal.

“Even if we know who owns it this project doesn’t solve anything so to me it’s a non-starter,” Councilman Josh Laubach said.

Members agreed to table the issue until their April 5 work session to hear comments from resident Gary Barge, who has researched and fought for changes along the canal for several years. Barge, along with City Manager Judy Gilleland and Public Works Director Dave Duritsch, was unable to attend the Tuesday meeting.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2011 at 4:59am

SWOhio:

I was aware of the wording in this story when I asked you to cite it. I am also aware that there was an earlier version, with a different headline (that has now vanished from the local newspaper's archives) that had different wording regarding the city manager's absence.

Since I cannot be certain of the earlier story's verbiage, I will not try to repeat it here. I’ve already erred in memory recall once in this thread. That should suffice. But let me be clear!!! It did neither mention vacation, nor any other specific reason for Ms. Gilleland’s absence!!!

I also seem to recall a slightly different subject matter.

Too bad that we mere citizens aren’t privy to an agenda for the semi-secret, un-televised portion of OUR city council meeting, or it might’ve tickled my old, cluttered memory enough recall all subjects of that earlier article.  It might also prompt more of us to attend these "work sessions".  But perhaps they really don't want that, do they???

It’s also a shame that the local newspaper does not archive all articles dealing with local matters. I would be pleased to quote and cite the earlier version, as my goal is the truth!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic